Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Good Morning Sunday

(23 Posts)
hildajenniJ Sun 04-Mar-18 11:01:45

Morning everyone.
I've been up for ages but thought I'd give you all a report from Northumberland. It is snowing here, an did so during the night. That being said, the icicles have fallen off the conservatory, and all the others are dripping. All still white though.

Jalima1108 Sun 04-Mar-18 10:47:46

Good morning everyone!
After a grey start the sun has come out, the snow is melting (slowly) and I saw a blackbird pulling up some dead foliage and flying off with it - she's either making or mending her nest.
I can see primroses and crocuses (crocii?) through the window looking none the worse for their deep freeze experience!

Enjoy your break Mawbroon (and Hattie)

It's still a bit treacherous out there for any running whitewave. I don't think we will be going far in the car either as the snow is piled up at the sides of the road with one lane only open.

Oopsadaisy12 Sun 04-Mar-18 10:04:44

Morning Peeps
Dull and cloudy here, but no rain and thankfully the mist/fog that blanketed us last night has gone, the roads here are not too bad, but the top roads are fine.
Late night last night, so a lazy day today, I’d like to say ‘for a change’, but as we haven’t done much since Thursday its same old,same old.
But today i’m pulling out some summery clothes for the holiday later in the week.
Wish I felt in more of a holiday mood! It must be something to do with the snow.

TerriBull Sun 04-Mar-18 09:49:34

Good morning fellow GNs. Here in the south east the great thaw has taken place and the landscape is green again. Commiserations to those, such as Annie who are still cut off, I hope you are back to normal soon. We walked into town yesterday, fairly slushy but not slippery and will probably do the same to day as we have sunshine too today which is always welcome.

Enjoy Stratford Maw Broon we were there in December, lovely town, albeit touristy, although not too many in these colder months.

NfkDumpling Sun 04-Mar-18 09:40:14

Morning All

All wet and drippy here in the north of Norfolk. It’s going to be very horrible and muddy soon. With lots of big puddles overflowing the roads. Flood warning on the west coast of Norfolk. We’re sinking. Roll on summer.

Greyduster Sun 04-Mar-18 09:36:59

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. A late one for me today. Back to the mysterious pains that sent me scuttling off to the doctor recently. Obviously not what he thought it was! We had yet more snow overnight in South Yorkshire but I’m hoping that WILL be it! DD and her menfolk for a roast dinner later, hopefully. Blimey, Annie, how long before you are reduced to sucking on your shoelaces there is mid Wales! Hope the ration waggon gets through soon!

Anniebach Sun 04-Mar-18 09:12:56

Good morning all. Roads still blocked here, no milk since last Wednesday , supermarkets no bread,milk, meats, veg,fish .

NannyJan53 Sun 04-Mar-18 08:48:28

Good Morning all

The thaw has started thank goodness, here in The Black Country.

Didn't get to the Theatre last night as I rang about 6pm, to get a recorded message saying the performance had been cancelled. So will have to ring Monday for a refund. Was really looking forward to it, was a comedy called Fathers Day, based on the comedy series "Home to Roost" So we went into town for a meal instead smile

Quiet day in today. Keep warm and safe everyone flowers

harrigran Sun 04-Mar-18 08:48:19

Good morning, it is above freezing here in the north east but it will take some time for this amount of snow to thaw. When it does melt it will run downhill so not a problem for us.
No family visit today.

oldgoat Sun 04-Mar-18 08:28:11

Morning all.
Sleet falling here in York but most of the snow has melted, thank goodness. Just hope that the Ouse doesn't flood the city again with all the melt water off the Dales.

farview Sun 04-Mar-18 08:19:15

Morning all,enjoy your trip Maw grey skies,a tad warmer here in in Lancashire, Springs on the way???all keep safe!

kittylester Sun 04-Mar-18 08:09:38

Morning all!

North Leicestershire is very misty and soggy. This does not auger well for flooding in our Valley!

Not a lot planned today except a chicken casserole!

Baggs Sun 04-Mar-18 08:08:21

Morning, folks! Mixed snow and rain falling at the moment but the temperature is just above freezing so I don't think it will increase the amount of whiteness around. A fibromyalgia flare up kept me awake a good part of the night so I might be even dopier today than I was yesterday!

ginny Sun 04-Mar-18 08:05:14

morning.
As Maw says milder today here in N. Bucks, snow thawing. Very misty though.
Dd still in hospital so I’m on call . Hope to visit later.
Enjoy you time away Maw.

cornergran Sun 04-Mar-18 07:56:46

Morning All. Definite thaw but still plenty of slushy snow in our corner of Somerset. Our access road is a big heap of icy slush. Delighted you have help to take Hattie maw and will be able to get to Stratford. It’s a place that has good memories for me too. Not sure what we will do today, it’s a wait and see sort of a day. Stay safe everyone.

NanKate Sun 04-Mar-18 07:51:09

Even more than that Mum there are two further plaques one saying my dear old parents are buried there and my DS,also an author, was christened there and so it goes on. ?

mumofmadboys Sun 04-Mar-18 07:40:46

Are there two blue plaques on the Church wall NanKate - one saying Shakespeare was buried here, second saying Nankate got married here?!

NanKate Sun 04-Mar-18 07:35:58

Morning Mick and all.

Most of the snow washed away in South Bucks, what a relief.

Have a great time in Stratford Maw I used to live there and have happy memories. Plenty of cafes, shops, nice walks by the river. Holy Trinity Church where Shakespeare was buried and I was married is worth a visit. It is on the riverside along from the theatre.

Have a good Sunday folks.

whitewave Sun 04-Mar-18 07:35:27

Good morning

Snow gone and very much milder out with blue sky and cloud. How welcome!,

Still tottering with my back. Supposed to keep moving but bloody painful, the only relief is lying flat so when I can’t stand it any longer I lay down.
Still all being well this time next week I shall be up nd running (well you know what I mean).

DH is in charge of meals. First day we had a roast, second day was cheese and biscuits. Not sure what he is planning(?) for today!!

MawBroon Sun 04-Mar-18 07:24:20

Good morning all.
It certainly feels milder here in N Bucks, now I have to find out what the road to Hattie’s holiday destination for the next 5 days, deep in the heart of Salcey Forest is like.
Fortunately a neighbour has offered to tak us over in his Range Rover if the road is too treacherous for my car. Such a kind offer.
Then off to Stratford for the rest of the week.
Hope you all stay safe and warm.

ninathenana Sun 04-Mar-18 06:52:56

Morning Mick , Gaga and everyone.

Good to see the light mornings. It's a balmy 7c in Kent. Same here gaga just a few patches of snow and we have blue sky and fluffy clouds.
DD coming later, so I won't get much done today

Gagagran Sun 04-Mar-18 06:34:08

Good Morning Mick and everyone.

The thaw came yesterday and is still with us - much milder and the snow has 95% gone here on the south coast. Really need to get out for some fresh air after being stuck indoors since the Thursday shopping trip.

Hope the day is a good one for all GNs sunshine

12Michael Sun 04-Mar-18 06:28:14

Good Morning Everyone,
Its daylight, but its wet as well , with snow still lingering about here in Brackley.
Did not venture far yesterday some bus routes unable to operate due to drifts etc on roads .
Mick