Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Good morning and hello Monday

(50 Posts)
stevierichards1954 Sun 17-Jun-18 23:51:24

Yes it is Monday here
And brief visit to europe mainland
So hello to Those back in blighty

MawBroon Tue 19-Jun-18 14:41:26

Got the four reference, not the [joke] confused

MawBroon Tue 19-Jun-18 14:38:25

Not the family album Rufus YouTube.
I expect you have heard of it?
I think”harridan” is a rather unpleasant sexist epithet. Don’t you? Presumably entirely intentional.
Four?

nanaK54 Tue 19-Jun-18 13:39:22

Flippin' heck - it's Tuesday afternoon and this is still rumbling on confused - oops good grief I have added to it

Rufus2 Tue 19-Jun-18 13:29:35

Perhaps you need a refresher course in what is appropriate in the 20th/ 21st century
Ouch Maw! That was a blast from the past, possibly kept in the family album ?, but I presume you weren't one of the 4 Harridans? [joke] grin
As a matter of fact I graduated from that course and others, with 1st. Class Honours many eons ago.! grin
Now! I think it's time to stop this cloak and dagger nonsense and leave the thread to others. sad
Feel free to continue to lecture me via"Private Messages" and I'll be more than happy to join in and learn more from you! smile

Good Health

NanKate Tue 19-Jun-18 12:30:29

Best laugh DH and I have had in ages Maw thanks

harrigran Tue 19-Jun-18 10:56:43

Love it MawBroon.

NfkDumpling Tue 19-Jun-18 10:02:21

grin Oh dear Maw now you’ve got me hooked on watching Harry for the rest of the morning. (I love the change of meanings in so many words.)

MawBroon Tue 19-Jun-18 09:47:55

It doesn’t matter whose nose it was Rufus it was patronising not complimentary and inappropriate.
Perhaps you need a refresher course in what is appropriate in the 20th/ 21st century?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w

Rufus2 Tue 19-Jun-18 09:18:06

I could have done without Rufus’s patronising post though “pretty little nose “
MawBroon; You're certainly getting stuck into me, sad but I wasn't referring to your nose. grin
Your iPad obviously confused "patronising" with "complimentary".
As they say, "sticks and stones...." etc. wink
Good Health and continue to enjoy your Tuesday.

Greyduster Tue 19-Jun-18 08:55:43

Instead of the gentle, chatty early greetings, I now see defensiveness and arguments. Really quite sad. I agree. This has become unnessessarily protracted. Those of us whose practice it has been to follow Mick on his thread should continue to look for it and do so. Those who are not interested in doing so might want to think about whether there is really anything to be gained from creating confusion where there doesn’t need to be any!

MawBroon Tue 19-Jun-18 08:43:53

Oops! I lost a word - “feelings are disregarded”
And I can spell “Gamesmanship” just the iPad can’t grin

MawBroon Tue 19-Jun-18 08:42:26

Mick has posted Mapleleaf he has put his head on “Chat” instead.

I could have done without Rufus’s patronising post though “pretty little nose “ ? ??
We have read “Ganesmanship” in the Northern hemisphere, you know, doesn’t make it ny more attractive when a persons feelings are.
For the record, Mick started the “Good Morning —day” threads when he came to GN from I think Saga.
So copying his thread along with its title (albeit with a lower case letter) is a bit unimaginative to say the least.
When can we expect someone to start another “Kitchen” I wonder?
By all means anybody can start any thread they wish but is it so hard to come up with your own title instead of muscling in.
Cheesed ? off

Marydoll Tue 19-Jun-18 08:42:19

It hasn't! There are two today, both called, "Good morning Tuesday". sad

kittylester Tue 19-Jun-18 08:32:03

Good post mcem - won't make any difference though.

Mapleleaf Tue 19-Jun-18 08:31:48

This is all becoming rather tedious. Looks like you might have upset mick between you, as he hasn't posted yet. Such a shame. I, for one, won't be responding after this post to any good morning threads other than the one mick starts, if he decides to post anymore.

Rufus2 Tue 19-Jun-18 08:19:10

And as for Rufus going on about one upmanship that got up my nose a bit, it sounded very arrogant

Oh dear Bluebelle! And just as I was beginning to put you in my "Like" file. grin
Now where do I start? Not wishing to get up your nose, pretty as it may be! smile
You've obviously not come across a book called "The Complete Upmanship"" by Stephen Potter including "Gamemanship" Lifemanship" "One-Upmanship" and "Supermanship"
It's based on very funny satire.
"Gamesmanship" "the art of winning games without actually cheating"
I don't think Aussie cricketers have read it either! grin
Anyway, get a copy and read it before you judge me.
It's very funny; it's satirical and one of my favourites for re-reading.
It appeals to my non-arrogant sense of humour, anyway. wink
BTW Whilst I'm "on"; Good Afternoon!
Following a complaint to the stewards, I've been "warned off" racing for (unthinkingly) taking advantage of our time-zone difference. I've been nobbled! sad
So I've dropped back to a canter.
Weather has been perfect, for winter, in Melbourne, 10C, lots of cheerful sunshine after morning mist and no rain! See you Wednesday.
Good Health

SilverDarlings11 Tue 19-Jun-18 07:52:29

Morning Mick and all....theres no news in the "Westmorland Gazette" yet about the Cycle Race...will let you know. Slainte.

BlueBelle Tue 19-Jun-18 07:47:38

Are you new Stevierichards I haven’t seen your name before these morning posts ?
Maybe it just needs explaining so you know where you stand, there is a long standing ‘good morning thread’ started by Michael and it is only good manners to allow him to continue
No one wants to curb your enthusiasm so do keep posting and if you want to post an early morning thread before Michael call it by a different name ‘I m up, anyone else?’ ‘Any early risers’ etc etc
Humility is a lovely virtue, arrogance is quite unattractive ?

Marydoll Tue 19-Jun-18 07:37:05

mcem, I love that word "breenging", a good Scottish word.? it sums up the situation up perfectly.? It was a favourite of my mother's

MawBroon Tue 19-Jun-18 07:20:48

Indeed mcem, Marydoll, nanKate et al.
Much ado.

mcem Tue 19-Jun-18 07:16:53

As one who has not been involved in the daily Good Morning threads (I read but don't usually post), I 've been puzzled by the elements of rivalry, one-upmanship and sheer cussedness that have crept in.
Instead of the gentle, chatty early greetings, I now see defensiveness and arguments.
Really quite sad.
Would it be so unreasonable just to carry on with what has become a harmless and friendly start to the day?
No loss of face involved - if new posters would just take a slightly different direction this might lead to forging friendships instead of breenging in and causing irritation when it's completely avoidable.

NanKate Tue 19-Jun-18 07:12:50

I am with you Marydoll sensible words.

gillybob Tue 19-Jun-18 07:00:35

How about a big shouty........IT’S TUESDAY.......

Or whatever day is appropriate... I get that it’s not TUESDAY every day.....thank goodness......I’m not really a TUESDAY fan.....too near the front of the week.......now FRIDAY....that’s a good day....

BlueBelle Tue 19-Jun-18 06:53:36

Why not start an early morning thread using a different title Stevierichard much less confusing
On Sunday there were three all with the same title Maw is right it is confusing No ones saying don’t start an early morning thread but not all saying ‘good morning’ be innovative find a new title

And as for Rufus going on about one upmanship that got up my nose a bit, it sounded very arrogant

stevierichards1954 Tue 19-Jun-18 05:10:25

Gilly I haven't done anything except start a thread and then get told not to
And then question why a post has been deleted.