Hello all, I just wondered what you thought.
My Mum was two years older than my aunt, and very protective towards her because she was only 4 foot 2 inches tall. My aunt has often told me my Mum 'bossed' her about. She had an illness as a child that stopped her growing.
My Mum died in 2000 and since then my aunt has said to me on the phone several times 'I hate being told what to do'. I have no intention of telling her what to do but today we were discussing clearing out cupboards.
I said 'I've seen people recommend setting the egg timer for 15 minutes, and just doing what you can in that time'.
My aunt said 'Oh, I haven't heard of that before'. She then added in a less than friendly tone 'Thank you Mum'.
Was I being bossy?
I thought I was sharing a helpful tip. I didn't say 'you must' or 'you should'. I'm always treading on eggshells with her because I'm aware of her issue with her size and being treated 'like a child'.
Gransnet forums
Gransnet cafe
Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.
Join the conversation
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »

