Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Putting my granddaughter into Foster care

(16 Posts)
Leslee Wed 14-Aug-19 19:07:04

Please help me ... I lived in Scotland when my husband made an offer and we decided to move to Spain to bring up my granddaughter her mother is a heroin addict for many years ... After arriving in Spain my husband has deserted us twice for 3 weeks with no contact ... I am now going back to Scotland where I will have to put my little 6 year old granddaughter into foster care as my health is down .... does anyone no anything about the foster care system my heart is broken

Gonegirl Wed 14-Aug-19 20:15:40

Maybe when you are back in Scotland you will find a way to keep her with you. There will be help available.

Gonegirl Wed 14-Aug-19 20:17:45

Although the little girl's parents will have to be consulted, even with the mother being an addict. Is her father on the scene?

Tangerine Wed 14-Aug-19 20:21:49

I hope you will still be able to maintain some contact with your little granddaughter.

Yes, you must be heartbroken but you tried your best and can't look after her if your own health is letting you down.

jenpax Wed 14-Aug-19 20:25:39

A slightly confusing post I feel, what was the arrangement when you moved to Spain? Had you agreed to take sole charge of the child? Whose idea was it? Why is the only option to you a return to Scotland and handing the child over for foster care?

SalsaQueen Wed 14-Aug-19 20:48:44

Isn't there any way you can keep your granddaughter? Where's the father? Have you got any family who could help you? The child must be damaged enough, with a druggie for a Mum, no Dad around, and Grandad clearing off too. YOU could be the only secure person in her little life.

paddyann Wed 14-Aug-19 20:54:33

Maybe Social services could offer help until your health improves ,if she's at school every day then its just evenings and weekends you'll have her .Add in some weekend clubs and that should lift the burden a bit.The poor wee soul must be confused as it is .With help you may be able to keep her with you.I wish you all the luck in the world I know I would walk over hot coals for my GD's so this must be causing you a lot of pain .Take care of yourself .

BlueBelle Wed 14-Aug-19 23:06:04

I m a bit confused you went to Spain to help with your granddaughter as her mum is a drug addict YOUR husband whose idea it was, leaves you there for three weeks so you are coming back to Scotland with the granddaughter to put her into care ?
Why can’t you stay there without your husband ?
Where’s the father is he your son?
If your health was good enough to fly out to Spain what has happened to make it so bad you can’t look after a little girl ?
If she’s been in this situation for 6 years why are you bringing her away from her friends, school and a mum who however bad has been in her life for 6 years just to put her in care
You sound in turmoil and I feel for you I m sorry for the questions but this seems so unfathomable

BradfordLass72 Thu 15-Aug-19 02:32:38

I'm astonsihed you can leave Spain and take your gd out of the country without written consent.

Is your recalcitrant husband coming with you or swanning around in Spain?

You really don't need the extra hassle of an unreliable man to add to your woes or that of your grand-daughter who needs stability and love and not a fly-by night bloke as one of her carers.

If you are familiar with Scotland, and it doesn't sound as if you lived there long, then there's a lot of information and help you can get even before you move back there.

Where do you want to settle? Working that bit out may help you to slot back into a familiar lifestyle and help your wee girl.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 21-Sep-19 19:15:17

I really think the child would be better off in Spain, near her mum, friends school and everything she knows. Isn't there a social services in Spain who could help. I really think its a bad idea to put her in care.

BlueBelle Sat 21-Sep-19 20:51:13

It’s about six weeks since this thread was started so there is no telling where the poster is now or the poor little granddaughter

Resurgam123 Mon 04-Nov-19 17:17:11

Oh dear I suspect that the social services are as hard pressed as they were about 10 yrs ago.

Resurgam123 Thu 12-Dec-19 23:35:27

Surely there should be some Adult who has taken a proper notice that this poor child gets someone who can assist or inform the childrens sevices .

Starblaze Thu 12-Dec-19 23:42:41

This is heartbreaking, please explain more

Jaycee5 Thu 12-Dec-19 23:44:49

I can't see why this has suddenly been resurrected. It doesn't seem as if the OP wanted to enter into discussion and it is very hard for anyone to say much about it without knowing details such as whether the illness is likely to be a general deterioration in health or something short term. I had relatives who had to be fostered occasionally after their mother died but they were still overall in the care of their father. Every case is going to be difficult both in terms of the needs and what the particular Council has available and frankly, how good they are at arranging these things.

Resurgam123 Fri 13-Dec-19 08:20:24

I am appalled at this, it appears that this poor child is being passed about like a football.