Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Should I move to Bingham or Grantham?

(11 Posts)
welbeck Mon 13-Jul-20 23:27:28

keep us posted , OP.
when you have zoned in on somewhere, there may even be some GNers lurking in the woodwork there.
toodle pip !

Livlass Mon 13-Jul-20 08:42:06

Thanks everyone. ? Lots to think about.

Cabbie21 Sat 11-Jul-20 22:54:23

Bingham was named as top of the list of best places to bring up a family in 2013. Google and you will find lots of information. It is not huge, but there are plenty of facilities including WI, U3a, and lots of groups for all interests and ages ( before the pandemic!)
It lies nearer to Nottingham than Grantham, with an excellent bus service to Nottingham and some trains to both towns. Grantham is of course on the East Coast line from Edinburgh to Kings Cross. Nottingham goes to St Pancras. M1 and A1 are within easy driving distance.
But there are hardly any Rental properties. There will be more in Grantham, though many people say it is going downhill.

Newark or Melton Mowbray are other market towns you might want to consider.

I suggest you have a look on some rental agencies websites.
Best wishes for your decision.

Phoebe221 Sat 11-Jul-20 13:04:41

Birmingham! smile

Eloethan Sat 11-Jul-20 00:06:33

livlass I've never been to Grantham - or Bingham but there used to be a slot in the Guardian called Let's Move To.

Below is a link is for the Let's Move to - Grantham, compiled in 2010, so rather out of date. Places can change so rapidly these days, but it might be of some use to you.

www.theguardian.com/money/2010/may/08/lets-move-to-grantham-lincolnshire

Or there's this thread on Mumsnet:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/property/362279-grantham-where-are-the...

In fact there are loads of reviews on the internet about Grantham - and presumably Bingham too.

Lynker Fri 10-Jul-20 23:32:53

My daughter lives in Bingham and she loves it. She works in Nottingham.
It has good schools, a Medical centre, library, Aldi, Lidl, small shops, cafes, pubs etc. It has a lovely centreThere are regular buses into Nottingham. I don't know anything about social groups for older people, but it is a very friendly place and I think there will be lots of groups to choose from.
Grantham is bigger and has a hospital. Unfortunately I don't know anything else about it.

welbeck Fri 10-Jul-20 23:17:44

i've not heard of bingham as a place, so i guess it's smaller than grantham.
so would there be more amenities in grantham.
also think what will happen if you cannot drive.
level short walk to useful shops, GP, bank etc.
access to hospital. buses.
why does it have to be that area. do your children live nearby.
good on you for looking after yourself.
as they say on MN, get your ducks in a row.

Charleygirl5 Fri 10-Jul-20 22:20:31

I also am not of much help because I have not been to either. You have stated the obvious= you need good transport links- specifically thinking of when you can no longer drive. Shops must also be close by and would it be cheaper to live in one town than the other for buying or renting? Do you have friends nearby and/or relatives or would it be a completely fresh start?

Good luck.

annep1 Fri 10-Jul-20 19:04:14

I don't live in England and have never been to either place.. All I can say is I have a friend in Grantham. She is in a very good U3A group and enjoys it and voluntary work in the hospital.

J52 Fri 10-Jul-20 18:19:13

I’m bumping this for you. Hopefully someone will be along with helpful information.
I’ve briefly been to both places, but have no idea what it’s like to live there.
Now lockdown has eased, could you visit each for a week end.

Livlass Fri 10-Jul-20 16:40:16

Hi, posted on Gransnet before and had helpful advice. To cut a very long story short,Was planning to leave my second husband secretly in April then virus happened. Everything went pear shaped. So now things have eased am starting to make plans. Can manage to rent small place but where? Have been isolated from friends and own children for so long I have no one to help, I,m 74,fit,healthy,sociable. need badly to find a town that offers amenities for my age group,good transport links and is friendly. These two towns are within my 50 mile radius driving ability. I need to think about myself now and reconnect with my adult children. ‘’ You,re in a relationship to be happy,to smile,to laugh and to make good memories.Not to be constantly upset,to feel hurt and to cry’’. Any thoughts on these two places would be greatly welcomed.