Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Supermarkets

(11 Posts)
susieboo Fri 24-Jul-20 13:42:48

Can I ask for opinions on Supermarkets ? Generally where do you shop and best value for money . I usually shop with Tesco online but I’m finding it more and more expensive . Your opinions would be good to have . Thanks .

MissAdventure Fri 24-Jul-20 13:50:16

Aldi for me, not just for the prices, but because I like to try out some of their different options, food wise.

TerriBull Fri 24-Jul-20 14:04:14

Tesco on line was brilliant when lockdown started, they were the only delivery service I could secure, their website is excellent and their drivers all very good. Problem is I don't like a lot of their stuff. However, they are quite good for wine and I buy the occasional book, so those items make up my order to £40. I wouldn't be prepared to pay £4.50 for a delivery because I'm not far away from supermarkets and don't waste a lot of petrol getting to them. I understand the point of view of those who live further away from shops and set off the delivery charge against what they would spend on petrol. I'm lucky I have a very good Marks nearby, larger than the average Marks local, I can get in there without queuing around 9.30, it's quiet then, so I go there for meat, fish and some vegetables, quite honestly for some things they can be cheaper than Tesco surprisingly! Before the lockdown I did shop at Sainsburys quite a bit, pretty good for bargains, but I wasn't too impressed with their on line service, not so keen on their website, Tesco has a better one and some of the products they supplied had a very short sell by date.

I've missed Waitrose, getting my first delivery from them next week, no charge but a £60 spend required, probably not the best for bargains, but better quality usually.

We have a new Aldi that opened just before lockdown, haven't tried it yet, but my son who lives near where it is, tells me they are very competitive on price and generally, I know from using a smaller one, the quality is often very good.

ninathenana Fri 24-Jul-20 14:06:14

We sometimes go to Aldi but our preferred shop is Asda. I find their fresh meat the best quality and it's a little drive out with a stop in the cafe.
I hope they reopen that soon?

BBbevan Fri 24-Jul-20 14:30:28

At the moment we shop online with Sainsbury’s. I might continue with this even when things are more normal, as we have to travel quite a distance to a Sainsbury’s. We have Asda, Morrison’s, Tesco and the Coop within a few miles. The Tesco is large but I dislike going there as many of the staff shout to each other and talk for ages to other staff and customers they know. The Coop is just for forgotten things. But it is clean, light and the staff are helpful and friendly.

Greenfinch Fri 24-Jul-20 14:36:57

I use Tesco but actually prefer Lidl .I don't shop there because the queues are too long. I am talking about pre corona times as my son has been shopping for us during lockdown. He favours Tesco.

Kseniya Fri 04-Dec-20 10:33:49

I like co-op. but my husband hates him! and I see a lot of stocks there, especially for sweets

Rosalyn69 Fri 04-Dec-20 10:38:56

Alternating Sainsbury’s and Ocado.
I do find that good in general has gone up and sizes have gone down. That said both do a very good service with lovely delivery persons.

tanith Fri 04-Dec-20 12:22:30

I’m sticking to Tesco at the moment I saved £9.50 on my weekly shop this morning with their club card money off deals. I did buy a nice piece of beef and more cards though so a few things that I wouldn’t normally but still worth it for that amount off. I do shop at Sainsbury and Asda occasionally. Tesco also didn’t let me down in the first lock down either with deliveries.

Callistemon Fri 04-Dec-20 12:33:26

I'm sticking with Tesco (good website easy to navigate and they usually have what we need) plus alternating with Waitrose.
I'm staying with Tesco because none of the other supermarkets were any use when we first entered lockdown and at least two do not deliver to our area. Waitrose eventually offered us a slot after several weeks.

We used to shop at Lidl sometimes but they don't deliver.

Callistemon Fri 04-Dec-20 12:34:00

I think prices have gone up all round.