Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Please bring me a half-bottle (or two)

(8 Posts)
Romola Thu 23-Mar-23 21:34:18

My late DH and I used to entertain friends quite often, and now that it's just me, I go on having friends and neighbours for meals.
Often they bring a bottle of wine, which is kind. But it goes into the cellar; I wouldn't open a whole bottle just for myself, because I only drink one glass in an evening and it would be sour by day 4 or 5. I suppose I could cook with it, but it seems a waste.
Their bottle would be drunk with other friends eventually.
But I would rather like to be able to have a decent glass of wine for a couple of evenings on my own. A half-bottle would be ideal.
Has anyone got any suggestions as to how to drop a hint to kind friends and neighbours?

Jaxjacky Thu 23-Mar-23 21:40:59

If it’s a screw top, just put the lid back on, or cork, something like a Vacu Vin wine saver will do the job, keeps forever.

Hetty58 Thu 23-Mar-23 21:43:00

Maybe you need bigger wine glasses? If someone brings me a bottle, we'll have a glass each - and there's only half left - so it's not a problem!

Blossoming Thu 23-Mar-23 21:48:19

Most supermarkets sell small 25cl or 18.7cl bottles of wine.

merlotgran Thu 23-Mar-23 22:04:28

Why don’t you drink it with the friends who have brought it?

silverlining48 Fri 24-Mar-23 08:27:04

When we see friends we take a bottle and it’s drunk that evening, with them.

dogsmother Fri 24-Mar-23 08:29:20

I’d open it there and then or ask them to take it back as you won’t use it. But then I’m blunt quite often.

25Avalon Fri 24-Mar-23 08:36:21

We used to buy the little bottles for mil. You are limited on choice and they are more expensive pro rata to a larger bottle. Maybe your friends feel it would be unkind and mean to bring one small bottle. Why not drop a massive Hint that you prefer small bottles?