Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Hello! I’m a Newbie….

(34 Posts)
Sueroe Mon 27-Mar-23 11:04:10

I stumbled upon Gransnet during a search on Google - sounded right up my street, though I’m not actually a Gran (yet!) 🤷‍♀️
I live in Kent. I’m 61, married and have 3 grown up kids with the youngest (24y) still living at home together with his girlfriend.
In the process of downsize contemplation as we need to be mortgage free now we’re retired and trying to decide which area of the country to move to as we’ve no big ties here these days.

MrsKen33 Fri 08-Dec-23 15:41:12

Swell whatever next?

Juliet27 Fri 08-Dec-23 14:07:11

This thread’s original date was over 7 months ago. I hope Sueroe has been enjoying her time here and that Maxie141 will too.

Spuddy Fri 08-Dec-23 13:59:25

Hello and welcome! We're always up for a laugh here!

MrsKen33 Tue 05-Dec-23 12:33:29

Welcome Sueroe I have been a grandma for eighteen years, Two ACs both married and two GDs. We live in SW Wales. Hope you enjoy gransnet. Lots of helpful, generous and sometimes funny people

sodapop Tue 05-Dec-23 12:27:00

Welcome to Gransnet Sueroe and maxie14 definitely not necessary to be a gran to join us on here. Lots of interesting subjects to talk about (amd some not so interesting) We moved to France when we retired Sue but maybe that's a bit extreme.
Like youmaxie I've been a grandparent for over 30 years now. Maybe great grandchildren next.

welbeck Tue 05-Dec-23 12:19:03

hello maxie141, and welcome.
perhaps browse the active list for an overview of what's concerning people atm.
or you can start your own discussion.
to do so, go back to the topic headings,
eg Gransnet Cafe, click on that,
and you will see a box,
start a new discussion, above all the thread titles.
happy clicking.

maxie141 Tue 05-Dec-23 12:11:26

just discovered you all . i have never done this and dont know how it works..it is so its all strange to me. been a gran over30 years

Georgesgran Sat 08-Apr-23 20:52:14

Welcome newbies. A good idea is to read Mick’s Good Morning thread, it’s a gentle introduction to the day. It will help get a grip on who’s who and where we are and what we get up to. After that, just scroll through Active or Chat and post whatever you want.

Ashcombe Sat 08-Apr-23 19:09:23

Welcome to Sueroe and also to JanetCr. I'm sure you'll find some interesting threads here. Posters are generally supportive and come from a range of backgrounds and political persuasions!

I moved away from two of my offspring when I retired to Torbay 12 years ago and feel very settled here. My eldest is in Australia.

Charleygirl5 Sat 08-Apr-23 19:05:36

Welcome both of you, soop's kitchen is another place where you will be made very welcome.

I am really fortunate, I live in London and I meet 3 GNs locally for coffee once a month and we have done so for around 5 years.

There is another group of us, around 8, who meet up on Oxford Street but Covid put paid to that although we are slowly getting together again.

Be careful, the threads can be addictive and not a lot gets done, certainly not here.

Enjoy!

I have 2 GN penfriends who both live too far away to consider visiting. I have been really fortunate.

Wyllow3 Sat 08-Apr-23 18:56:47

There's actually a current thread on moving or not you could join, but it crops up very frequently anyway

www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/1224599-Is-it-time-to-move-on.

Wyllow3 Sat 08-Apr-23 18:55:05

Welcome.

It took me a bit to realise that the best way to start was to browse the "forums" (top left on the maroon bar at the top).

All life is here with its usual friendly and occasionally conflict bits. I'd not post something very controversial to start with unless you have a reasonable thick skin, but IME (in my experience) Gransnet is a great deal kinder than in RL (real life) in general as to how people are

Grammaretto Sat 08-Apr-23 18:44:18

Welcome! Sueroe I hope you'll find lots to like on gransnet. It's my first port of call for advice on just about anything!
The ages span quite a range. I think I'm now in the older bracket as I'm in my 70s and have help! teenaged DGC.
I live in Scotland where we have a strong contingent and we even meet up occasionally.

I love Kent and lived there when we were newlyweds. Why would you want to move?

JanetCr Sat 08-Apr-23 18:29:49

Hi All, also new here! I have 2 little grandsons whom I adore and I'm lucky to have them nearby. I've been caring for my late dad for years and he died a month ago. Feeling like I want to reach out to others who are/have been in similar situation. Just working out how to use this site too - seems wonderful.

Callistemon21 Mon 27-Mar-23 23:25:58

Hello sueroe and welcome to Gransnet.

The WelshEnglish Borders is a lovely area but yes, as you get older you might want to be near good facilities so it's worth checking out more than one area before house hunting.

overthehill Mon 27-Mar-23 23:15:53

Welcome. Are your family local to you I personally would think twice about moving away from them. When those grandchildren come along it will be nice to be near at hand. Also as we age you may need them.

dogsmother Mon 27-Mar-23 18:38:25

Welcome from me, not a grandparent yet either but it’s imminent 😅.
It’s interesting here, fun to read through old threads on varying forums. Lots of good people and fun stuff.

Aldom Mon 27-Mar-23 18:12:46

Juliet27

OP said she’s in Kent Aldom

Thanks Juliet27. smile flowers

tickingbird Mon 27-Mar-23 16:54:57

Welcome smile

NotAGran55 Mon 27-Mar-23 16:21:46

Welcome Sueroe I’m not a gran either 😀 but I’m a mum of two sons 25 and 28.
There’s something of interest for everyone on here.
Mick’s ‘good morning’ thread in CHAT is a great place to start.

multicolourswapshop Mon 27-Mar-23 16:20:52

Hi Sueroe welcome to gransnet.

Juliet27 Mon 27-Mar-23 15:24:44

Welcome ‘Sueroe*

Juliet27 Mon 27-Mar-23 15:23:57

OP said she’s in Kent Aldom

62Granny Mon 27-Mar-23 15:12:24

Have you thought about the Welsh borders, all depends on your budget but prices are generally cheaper than over the border in England, do think closely about what you want e.g shops, doctor's surgery chemist ,pub /restaurant, bus /train links as we older we may need these more and more.

Ziplok Mon 27-Mar-23 15:06:27

Hello Sueroe. Welcome aboard 😁.