Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Is it an age thing? ....

(3 Posts)
swampy1961 Fri 21-Apr-23 14:54:24

.... to become a little more cranky or irrational about things?

My dental practice rang me today to cancel my dental appointment.
Bearing in mind that at the time I noticed the issue it took me two weeks to get an appointment as it was not cutting my mouth (so not that urgent in their eyes!) Saw the dentist who said filling needed and to book an appointment with reception.
At reception I'm booked in with the hygienist (why? I'd expect the dentist to do fillings!!) but anyway - first available appointment is two months away. Now they have cancelled my appointment for next week and given me a further appointment now another two months away!! so it will have been five months to get treatment which is ridiculous - given that I consider dental appointments a necessary evil and not for enjoyment - I actually get really stressed about dental stuff and made this clear to the receptionist to the point that if I'm due a check up it is first thing in the morning so I get up and go - no thinking about it and getting wound up as the day goes by.
As a child, my 3 siblings and I would be taken to the dentist all at the same time and due to the practices in place at the time we would all invariably come out with a filling which was done there and then!! For the record none of us have had many fillings as adults which says reams to me about how the NHS paid dentists on work done and not out of necessity in the past.
Why do dental practices now - have to do a check up and then drag you back for a further appointment? Whatever happened to doing treatment straight off the bat?
This just one issue but there have been other instances in daily life where I think why am I so easily wound up about stuff?
I'm not even officially retired as I was made redundant last year but able to take my LGPS pension so now look after grandkids four days but still have four and half years before the state pension kicks in and I'm officially retired!!
Maybe I need to get back to work so I don't stress about inconsequential stuff and get cranky!!
Does anyone else have these irrational cranky thoughts?
Rant Over!! and breathe!!!

kircubbin2000 Fri 21-Apr-23 15:00:29

Yes similar problems. Mine insists I see the hygienist too but because of covid this means 2 appointments. As I travel a fair distance to this recommended dentist I asked if a double appointment could be made. This was a wait of several months. Now ,due to unforseen arrangements I have had to cancel and there are no double appointments for 2 months.
On top of that my unforseen event had also been cancelled but unfortunately my double appt is lost.

swampy1961 Fri 21-Apr-23 15:12:49

@kircubbin2000 How annoying for you?
I too tended to have my check ups followed by the hygienist appointments to reduce the anxiety, only now they are saying that I can change my appointments to annual rather than six monthly. Are they trying to squeeze more patients in or have they decided that six monthly appointments no longer need to be the norm? And what happens if unfortunately you begin to have pain or your teeth disintegrate even more? Will they then give you an earlier appointment? It's beginning to sound like the appointments you get at the GP!! How desperate will you need to be to get treatment?
A friend of mine had to return for a filling which should have been free as it fell out with a year of treatment. By the time she got her treatment after several cancellations she had to pay again - most unfair.