Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

My morning out ….. how was yours?

(18 Posts)
Primrose53 Wed 03-May-23 16:34:01

Woke up to nice weather, sunny and warm. Decided to wear something different.

Had to do my weekly shop but it was a pleasure to drive in the sunshine. I realised I was wearing a charity shop dress from Blue Vanilla and animal print trainers by Vanessa Wu, also charity shop. Called at a big charity shop but just bought some scented sachets to hang in wardrobe. Daren’t even look at books as I bought 6 yesterday!

Did the shopping, bought my Late Mum a lovely planter full of flowers in her favourite colour and drove to her grave. It would have been her 99th birthday today.

It was glorious and I sat on my parents memorial bench in the sunshine and thought about them and about people going through the final stages of losing someone close. It is such a tough time.

The village school is next door and I was so happy there as a child and I was remembering old friends, a few of whom have passed away. The kids were outside playing in the yard and it was lovely to hear them calling to each other.

Then I drove just down the road to their old house of 65 years and could see how much the new owner has extended it. I hope he will be happy there. Very sad to see Mum’s beautiful hollyhocks gone. They came up year after year and grew through the shingle path. Also saw Dad’s old gates gone which he very rarely closed! We used to tease him about that.

A morning of memories really.

Mollygo Wed 03-May-23 17:07:50

Gym, hair, nails before work this afternoon, as we are going out tonight. I love to feel pampered.
The weather is amazing-I automatically feel more positive when the sun’s shining.

Greta8 Wed 03-May-23 17:11:33

What a lovely morning - you write absolutely beautifully about all your memories - as we get older I think we certainly think about the past and our parents often, if we're lucky enough to have had a good, loving relationship with them.

I dressed up a bit today to go out into town with my husband. I have been very poorly with a ghastly flu bug for over a week, now recovered, so it was nice to put on makeup and decent clothes. I worse a monochrome outfit - black cropped jeans, Paul Costelloe black and white leather ballet flats, a black and white leather handbag with silver studs and a black and white Chanel type jacket. We walked through the Gloucester Quay docks and had breakfast at Wetherspoons. Then split up and I had some business at the bank, swiftly completed. I took back some shoes to Primark and found a lovely striped shirt which was reduced. Also bought some dark plum nail varnish.

Back home on the bus with my husband and a quiet afternoon at home - apart from a quick visit to the village shop for treats for my toddler grandson when we look after him on Friday. I feel so lucky to live in a beautiful part of the country (moved here just before the pandemic), and count my blessings.

Greta8 Wed 03-May-23 17:12:11

wore not worse!!!!

crazyH Wed 03-May-23 17:15:11

What a lovely, though sad day Primrose - I’ve got a proper head cold and have blowing my nose out of my head - how could it contain so much gunge😫- sorry .

ginny Wed 03-May-23 17:20:18

I didn’t get dressed until after 11 this morning. By this time I had made a lemon sponge cake and two dozen chocolate cup cakes,
Finished off a felt crown ready for WI this evening.
Put the washing on and out to dry.
Had a general tidy up around the house and sorted my painting stuff in the craft room.
I then had a shower and washed my hair ready to go out.
Popped in to buy some chocolates and flowers for a craft club friend who will be 80 at the weekend.

MiniMoon Wed 03-May-23 19:18:17

When I went into my living room to open the curtains, I nearly trod on the back half of a small rodent left for me by Toby cat. I disposed of it and went for my shower. Fed the cat, read the news and greeted DH returning from shopping. He had bought an aubergine which he suggested stuffing. I then spent some time looking for stuffed aubergine recipes.
Did some ironing, had a walk around the garden and then made lunch.
I didn't stuff the aubergine, I made a rose harissa glaze which I brushed onto it for the final 10 minutes of roasting. It was good.

Aldom Wed 03-May-23 20:34:34

Two friends and I did the thirty minutes drive to a well known beauty spot. We walked for almost an hour in the bluebell woods. Afterwards we had coffee and cake /toasted teacakes.
The weather and company were perfect.

CanadianGran Wed 03-May-23 21:09:57

Nice thread...I enjoy hearing about everyday life in another country.

I woke up to drizzle this morning, so no bike ride to work for me. Off to work, and looked at the schedule during lunch to confirm GD7 has soccer tonight, so I will go and watch since the rain has stopped and it's not so bad out.

Ordered a new pair of Asics black and white runners, although I'll only be walking. That brand is good for me, and I know they will fit.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 06-May-23 11:24:53

Such nice mornings to hear about.

Mine is nothing to write home about.

The weather is bitterly cold, and threatening rain, so I was not tempted to go anywhere. Especially, as I would have to walk, as my bike's brakes have failed and until the new brake-shoes we have ordered arrive, I certainly am not riding that bike!

Emptied two bins, and walked round the garden trying to spot the collar Trubel has left hanging somewhere out there!

Picked up a lot of paper and plastic waste blown into our garden from the neighbours in yesterday's storm, but no cat collar.

BlueBelle Sat 06-May-23 11:47:16

Funny how different we all are Primrose you enjoyed looking at your parents old house My mum and Dad both died 11 years ago I have never been able to go down their road since I can’t bear the thought of seeing their house with someone else in it
Now back to today I was up my usually 7am and made some scones ( yes i know I m a terrible person…. packet mix) I spent the morning sorting my daughter garden out, while she has a weekend break away I hope she ll have a nice surprise she works long hours and doesn’t get much time to do it and I like gardening The sun is shining and it’s not so cold today I ve now come home for a bite to eat a and wash and brush up and then. off to walk to the nearest supermarket to stock up
Later I ll get on with my jigsaw …..simple life eh

BlueBelle Sat 06-May-23 11:49:35

Whoops just realised I m on Saturday the rest were on Wednesday 😂😂😂 ahh well

Seabreeze Sat 06-May-23 12:26:37

What a lovely post primrose53.
I am many miles away from my parents graves and childhood home. I do think of them often though.

knspol Sat 06-May-23 14:33:55

Lovely post Primrose, pleasure to read.

Primrose53 Sat 06-May-23 15:19:11

BlueBelle

Funny how different we all are Primrose you enjoyed looking at your parents old house My mum and Dad both died 11 years ago I have never been able to go down their road since I can’t bear the thought of seeing their house with someone else in it
Now back to today I was up my usually 7am and made some scones ( yes i know I m a terrible person…. packet mix) I spent the morning sorting my daughter garden out, while she has a weekend break away I hope she ll have a nice surprise she works long hours and doesn’t get much time to do it and I like gardening The sun is shining and it’s not so cold today I ve now come home for a bite to eat a and wash and brush up and then. off to walk to the nearest supermarket to stock up
Later I ll get on with my jigsaw …..simple life eh

It’s odd but I can visit the grave and go to our old house but I can barely look at a photo of either Mum or Dad without getting upset. I have a lovely framed photo of Mum in my bedroom and another in my lounge but I just glance at it from a distance, I don’t look closely.

I guess we all find different ways of coping.

grandMattie Sat 06-May-23 16:53:08

I got up for the paper at 630, has breakfast and read the paper. I then had all the jollies until lunch, a couch potato day like many…
I am sewing up nativity figures I have knitted for my ex- neighbours in Kent (some of you may know I have relocated to Bristol this week).
I have just gone on foo5 to the local garden canter, bought some plants, filled a pot with compost and planted them…
Tonight, last night leftovers.
Bluebell, DD had a photo of our son on his coffin ant the funeral and gave it to me afterwards. I can’t bear to look at it, but know she would be very hurt if I hid it. Difficult situation!

jocork Fri 12-May-23 19:12:20

I've had Covid so haven't left the house for over a week. The weather has been pretty miserable with rain most days so couldn't even potter in the garden. Test very faint positive today so I may go out with a mask on tomorrow! What has happened to the glorious weather we experienced in the first lockdown, That would have made it much more bearable!

Primrose53 Fri 12-May-23 19:48:21

Well, today was the complete opposite! We had arranged to go out with our daughter. Maybe a short drive to the coast, a walk along the prom and a bit of lunch.

Woke up to grey skies and drizzle. By 9.30 it was absolutely pouring. We left in the hope that it might clear up. It didn’t, it continued pouring all morning. We went for brunch and coffee, hung our dripping coats up to dry and chatted. The rain eased slightly so we went back to the car which needed to be moved. Had a mooch around the shops and it was so miserable we decided to come home.

Mid May and we put the heat on when we got home! Absolutely cold right through.