Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Abbreviations what do they mean

(14 Posts)
Merl2533 Wed 11-Oct-23 09:52:14

I’m new to the site
But I can’t keep up with the abbreviations do you have a list of them?
I find it uncomfortable using Darling in front of any abbreviation I don’t think everyone can be comfortable with the ‘darling’ especially when discussing estrangements or would never use darling in normal speak.
Anyway my main question is knowing the abbreviations
Thank you

Chestnut Wed 11-Oct-23 10:07:27

I hate abbreviations and never use them myself. I always thought DS was dear son, DGS is dear grandson, then there is DD, DGD, DGC, and DH being dear husband. I'm not sure about any others. I never thought 'darling' came into it.

Doodledog Wed 11-Oct-23 10:09:48

There is a list of abbreviations here:

www.gransnet.com/info/acronyms

I have to say I don't like many of them, but it's helpful to know what they mean to understand other posts.

Caravansera Wed 11-Oct-23 10:10:03

Here they are:

www.gransnet.com/info/acronyms

DS means darling/dear son

JackyB Wed 11-Oct-23 10:25:27

It does get confusing when people invent their own. We've had people using DN for "dear neighbour" and everybody in the thread thought they meant "dear niece" and DF has meant "dear friend" and "dear father". And does GP stand for GrandParent(s) or GP the doctor?

As a trained secretary I find that stopping to engage shift lock and writing random capitals stops the flow of typing, although I sometimes use them on my tablet.

To find the link people have given above, switch to "desktop site" if you're not already, and it is listed at the top of the page. You can switch from desktop to mobile site by scrolling right to the bottom of the page and clicking on the relevant word in small print.

And well done for calling them abbreviations. To my mind, an an acronym is an abbreviation that spells a pronounceable word; DGS, DGD, etc. are definitely not pronounceable words in English!

Oldbat1 Wed 11-Oct-23 10:41:52

Abbreviations used are a bit twee for me. Why use Dear or Darling? Not my normal vocabulary.

Doodledog Wed 11-Oct-23 10:47:27

Oldbat1

Abbreviations used are a bit twee for me. Why use Dear or Darling? Not my normal vocabulary.

I feel the same, OB. I only use that sort of phrase if I am being deeply ironic wink

Theexwife Wed 11-Oct-23 11:16:59

The dear darling makes me cringe, I don't use abbreviations and do not read the posts that are full of them.

Aldom Wed 11-Oct-23 11:49:36

Another cause for slight confusion is
SiL. Son in law or Sister in Law????
confused

nanna8 Wed 11-Oct-23 12:09:38

I’m not struck on them. I would never refer to anyone as ‘dear’. I think it is quite rude and patronising, at least where I come from. Guess what is ok in one country isn’t always in another.

Patsy70 Wed 11-Oct-23 12:34:20

I don’t like them either, and only used OH, when referring to my other half.

Georgesgran Wed 11-Oct-23 14:39:23

I’m not keen on them either, although I do use them as I’m sure the majority of GNs (Gransnetters) can decipher quite easily what’s being written.
Most abbreviations are well established, although NDN has me guessing once, until I twigged ‘next door neighbour’.

Jaxjacky Wed 11-Oct-23 14:44:28

I don’t use them, if I mean granddaughter, that’s what I type.

HeavenLeigh Sun 29-Oct-23 19:02:25

I find myself getting muddled when read SIL and have to work out is it sis in law or son in law 🤣