Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Car insurance question I can’t answer!! Help!

(25 Posts)
tanith Wed 11-Oct-23 11:53:48

So my new car Insurance quote is nearly double so I’ve tried to shop around. Wherever I look they want details of claims in the last 5yrs. I had a no fault to me accident but I’m not sure of the year and certainly don’t know the date. So I can’t complete the form.
I’ve no paperwork as I recently changed cars and as it was not my fault all I did was in inform my insurer but all repairs were done by the other sides insurers so I had no paperwork.
What can I do?

Patsy70 Wed 11-Oct-23 12:31:46

I would just hazard a guess, and that shouldn’t be a problem.

SueDonim Wed 11-Oct-23 12:40:01

I had a similar issue with house insurance, a claim I couldn’t remember the details of. I just put in an approx date and that was accepted.

greenlady102 Wed 11-Oct-23 12:43:45

I have had the same problem and managed to narrow down the year by thinking about the season of the year that it happened and what other things had happened around the same time. This won't help with an exact date but will get you closer. You could also simply ask your insurer at the time, they will have made a record of it.

M0nica Wed 11-Oct-23 13:51:11

Go and talk to an insurance broker. There are usually some with a shop front in most towns.

seadragon Wed 11-Oct-23 13:58:53

Could you ask your existing Insurance company whether they have a record of your contact about the no fault accident?..... and then mention you are having to leave them because of their quote. They may adjust the quote in your favour...

tanith Wed 11-Oct-23 14:29:51

Thanks all I think most of them are online now. A good idea seadragon I’ll give that a try.

Nannarose Wed 11-Oct-23 15:43:13

Your insurance company should have a record. If you ring them to ask, tell them why you are 'shopping around' and see what deal they'll come up with!

tanith Wed 11-Oct-23 17:30:03

Well I’m flabbergasted! I did try ringing my company but after 20 mins in a queue I went back to online comparisons and WOW!! I made a guess at the date of the accident and there wasn’t one company anywhere near the quote from my own company. They were at least £100 more some £100s more. Tried my own bank that £1403, double the quote I already have. Unbelievable!
So I’ll ring mine and see if I can persuade them down but I don’t hold out much hope.
Thanks all.

Grannyipad Fri 13-Oct-23 12:55:22

tanith

Well I’m flabbergasted! I did try ringing my company but after 20 mins in a queue I went back to online comparisons and WOW!! I made a guess at the date of the accident and there wasn’t one company anywhere near the quote from my own company. They were at least £100 more some £100s more. Tried my own bank that £1403, double the quote I already have. Unbelievable!
So I’ll ring mine and see if I can persuade them down but I don’t hold out much hope.
Thanks all.

Just renewed my car insurance too - premium had increased by 79% despite no changes since last year (except car now worth less!)
All quotes were coming in around the same price until I checked out Saga and saved about £220.

Babsbada Fri 13-Oct-23 12:56:39

My car insurance has doubled and I've shopped around but all about the same. Friends confirm the same for theirs.

JRTW2 Fri 13-Oct-23 12:58:07

Same here. Direct Line quoted me £1800 for renewal (no claims) so I shopped around and got it for £850 with Prima. I had an accident but no claims. I was honest

deedeedum Fri 13-Oct-23 13:23:20

Try the National Farmers Union.

Grannynannywanny Fri 13-Oct-23 13:41:53

My M&S car insurance was about to increase this year and they refused to negotiate any reduction. I searched Comparethemarket.com and I’m now paying £276 a year with LV. Fully comp, legal protection, courtesy car if in for repair etc.

As an added bonus I now have free membership for Meerkat Meals where many restaurants participate Sun-Thurs with 2 for 1 meals. Well worth a look.

Auntieflo Fri 13-Oct-23 14:13:52

Deedeedum, I tried the NFU last year, and were told that we were too old! 80 and 83 at the time.
This year we are with Sainsbury's.

Loopey Fri 13-Oct-23 14:15:00

Phone your current insurer they have all the details and is usually on your quote if it’s in the last 5 years. Also check what you put for mileage as if lower it can make a difference.

Merseymog Fri 13-Oct-23 14:30:19

Auntieflo

*Deedeedum*, I tried the NFU last year, and were told that we were too old! 80 and 83 at the time.
This year we are with Sainsbury's.

We tried to go for NFU but due to a query over eyesight despite passing DVLA tests were refused. Using a comparison site we chose Sainsbury's. The quote was far cheaper for comprehensive than others though they had restrictions on mileage and usage. Getting in touch with customer service is impossible if you need it. Other comprenhensive policies we've had in the past have allowed us third party cover on other vehicles but this cover is not given on many policies now.

It will be interesting to see what the renewal quote is when it comes next year!! I'm 79 and my wife 67 with maximum non claims bonus, the car is 17 years old Vauxhall Meriva.

greenlady102 Fri 13-Oct-23 14:45:15

I have been with Sheila's Wheels for ages. Every year I do my due diligence and every year their offer is the best for what I want. Their customer service is lovely, a couple of years ago I phoned to report that a van had passed me too close on a narrow road and ripped off my wing mirror. I didn't want to claim, just report it. The first comment made was "goodness are you alright?" then really helpful information about what I could do if I needed to claim after I had got a repair quote.

LovesBach Fri 13-Oct-23 14:51:35

Last year a woman hit my car and drove off. I managed to catch up with her and get insurance details, and reported it to my insurers. I found when completing an online application for insurance this year that the accident flagged up as a 'No fault claim, third party emerging from side road'. You may find the same - everything seems to be logged and you may not need to remember when it was.

Lemontart Fri 13-Oct-23 15:36:36

Surely it doesn't count as a claim if the fault was on the other side and the repairs made through their insurance. It's only a claim if it came off your policy.

LovesBach Fri 13-Oct-23 17:06:59

Sadly not, Lemontart. You are obliged by law to notify your insurance company if you have been involved in an accident. I have had this happen twice, with two different companies. Three years ago a vehicle ran into the back of my car, and the driver wanted to pay for the repair himself. He did so, very promptly. I notified my insurer, and up popped a 'no fault claim' . I argued with them, but evidently this is part of insurance broker's calculations for premium costs. I was so annoyed at having to pay slightly more on my next year's policy that I wrote to my M.P. My insurance company had paid out nothing to either party, but I had a legal obligation to notify them. My M.P. didn't reply, and the Insurance Ombudsman, when I rang to attempt to clarify the legality of insurance companies charging the customer in such circumstances, said 'That's what they do'.

campbellwise Fri 13-Oct-23 17:20:26

We renewed with LV again this year despite a premium hike. I used the comparison websites and they were all there or thereabouts on price. They are a brilliant company to deal with if you have an issue and that counts for a lot.

DrWatson Fri 13-Oct-23 19:49:06

For Tanith - you've had lots of good advice, but here's a link to Money Saving Expert. www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/car-insurance/

Oh, and their general weekly free newsletter is great, many topics covered, so worthwhile for everyone (in UK).

jocork Sat 14-Oct-23 10:14:01

My insurance quote had increased so I went on 'go compare' and everything that came up was more expensive, and most were companies I'd never heard of! My increase was about 25% so it seems I got off lightly! I had to make a small change, undoing a change made last year which had saved me about £15. I thought my quote might go up more than that but phoned in some trepidation. It went up £2.50! Happy days!

Katie59 Sat 14-Oct-23 11:45:19

A claim is a claim wether it is your fault or not, moreover you have to include any accidents that do not result in a claim.

Be careful about medical conditions if you have a claim the company can check your medical history, that includes every time you go to your GP. If you forgot to declare something they may not pay out for vehicle damage.

Previous claims, there is a central register of claims some companies even check before they accept your proposal, others will check later if there is a claim, again they may not pay out.