Welcome Jennynanna
Well I m real ‘anti nappy in big kids’ but you ve inherited this and as it appears he’s had a lot of upheaval yes give it a month or two for him to settle if he’s going to be with you long term
Spring will be good let him be free in the house first, get a step for the toilet he’s a bit big for potties and massive praise when it is achieved but explain it all to him he’s old enough to understand
I totally disagree Velvetvinyl I think because of awful throw away nappies children nowadays are on the whole much later that previous generations (It in the news that some children start school in nappies) I see big kids with stinky bundles hanging round their bums, running around
I also don’t agree that boys are naturally later. Why ?
It needs lots of praise and big boy talk and never any crossness for mistakes which will happen ….new big boy pants of his choice (superman or favourite character pic they are everywhere to buy) He ll love to feel free of those things but because he’s obviously had a lot of upset in his life (or he wouldn’t be living with you) I would be very easy going about it
Make it into a game and expect mistakes but being without a nappy gives them the experience of recognising the feelings and happenings that follow the feelings, whilst in a nappy it all blends into one.
Good luck
Gransnet forums
Gransnet cafe
Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.
Join the conversation
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »

