Gransnet forums

Health

If you were given the choice would you have a denture or a bridge?

(48 Posts)
greenmossgiel Mon 12-Sep-11 09:11:16

The bridge that I have at the front of my mouth is coming to the end of it's life, and needs to be replaced. I'm wondering if I would be better going for a denture rather than a bridge? My dentist is encouraging me to go ahead with the bridge (more expensive), but I've had a denture before and coped well enough with it? Anyone else had this dilemma? (grin - for illustrative purposes only - I hate going to the dentist!)

Annobel Thu 15-Sep-11 17:20:48

My dentist will be laughing all the way to the bank. wink

greenmossgiel Thu 15-Sep-11 17:30:13

Dentists are like vets and farmers.......'you never see one on a pushbike' (as they say round here!)

frida Tue 27-Sep-11 10:50:38

how can you sleep wearing a full set of dentures, do they not slip a bit? i thought that you had to take them out at night and soak in that fizzy stuff.

gangy5 Tue 27-Sep-11 11:20:58

Snap Annobel!! One of my crowns broke on Saturday and I'm off to the dentist this am. I think it will cost me at least £400. If you manage to find an NHS dentist I believe that you still have to pay 80% of the cost but then NHS dentists don't usually charge as much.
greenmossgiel - If I had the money I would go for the bridge (personally)

Granny23 Tue 27-Sep-11 11:23:59

Frida - well fitting dentures do not slip! Both DH and I sleep with our teeth in. DH puts his in 10 minute fizzy stuff while he has his shower etc. I prefer to brush mine, one bit at a time, as I hate the 'gumsy' feeling with both out. I could not sleep without me teef though both of us have been known to sleep with our glasses on too!

frida Tue 27-Sep-11 12:29:53

ha ha granny23 ! that made me burst out laughing thinking about sleeping wearing your glasses, was that so you could see in the dark ?

Annobel Tue 27-Sep-11 12:49:06

Good luck with your crown, gangy5. I think my dentist's charges are higher than that, judging by the four figures it cost to have a bridge replaced last year. sad. However, if the new crown lasts as long as the old one, I'll be 103 before it gives out. grin

gangy5 Tue 27-Sep-11 17:17:50

The bill for the crown is £538 and that is with a 10% reduction as I have a sort of dental insurance. Is it worth it?? as it's a front one perhaps it is.
Fancy I could have a nice week's holiday for that!! It does seem over the top don't you think when you compare like with like??

tanith Wed 12-Oct-11 16:35:24

I have had both NHS and private dentures and its such an important thing to have nicely looking/fitting dentures I found it was so worth the extra cost to have them made privately, I had all the original dental work done on the NHS and dentures but went back 6mths later to have new dentures made privately, I had them replaced after 7yrs and have had not problems with them at all and can eat anything I want.. oh thats a lie! a year ago my bottom denture broke clean in two while I was eating of all things a sandwich , I was devastated but my dentist sent the away and they repaired them perfectly and put a reinforcing strip in them to strengthen them all for free..

granto7 Wed 12-Oct-11 16:43:55

Hello Tanith
Are dentures made differently if you have them privately made?
Also did NHS dentist also do the private work?
Thankyou

Annobel Wed 12-Oct-11 16:51:54

Another hour in the dentist's chair having impressions taken for that crown and a hole drilled up through the root for the post. It had better be worth it! If it lasts as long as the old one it will outlast me - unless I live to be 104 grin.

glammanana Wed 12-Oct-11 18:53:34

Annobel my bridging on RHS has given up the ghost and need's renewing but I am reluctant to have bridging again my pal had two teeth put on a very fine plate and was really pleased so I may go down that route,if it was right at the front I would redo the bridging though,I will have to make the decision soon as it need's to be done but I am such a coward when it come's to the dentist and she is the most caring dentist that I have ever come across.

tanith Wed 12-Oct-11 19:04:25

granto7 (so am I by the way haha) my NHS dentist did the private work too, I just told her I wanted the denture made privately , the impressions are done in the same way but in my opinion with more care and thought also she took ages with me choosing the colour they should be , I think they are made from Porcelin (could be wrong but definately not plasticky like NHS ones were) and the fit was so much better than my older ones.. I had one tiny patch that rubbed but otherwise they were perfect , but I was already used to dentures , it is a trial when you first get them to get used to eating with them isn't the easiest thing I've done. I did read somewhere that they let the trainees make NHS dentures which is why they never seem to fit well..

granto7 Wed 12-Oct-11 20:00:31

Thankyou Tanith It will help in making a decision in November,Will think it all through as NHS dentures are not ideal thanks

tanith Wed 12-Oct-11 20:54:15

hope it goes well granto7 make sure you ask the price if you decide to go private, they are blooming expensive but in my opinion so worth the cost..

silverstar Thu 13-Oct-11 17:43:22

Neither. Have an implant. Takes longer to do and is probably pricey, but looks great.

granto7 Thu 13-Oct-11 19:38:04

Tanith ..Appreciate all your info and wish you happy chewing.. What a pain teeth are .... We suffer to get them and suffer to lose them.... grin

Susan258 Tue 04-Oct-16 06:32:31

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Irma Tue 04-Oct-16 12:40:48

I've got a top denture with 1 front tooth and 2 back teeth either side, I hate dentists too and the thought of impressions turns my stomach to water. My dentist assured me that these days impressions are not the same as those done years ago when I had a brace, the start of my being terrified of dentists. He was telling the truth, I've had my denture for 5 years with no problems, noone realises I have a false tooth at the front. I paid for a private denture as my dentist advised, I must admit I put a small blob of fixative in the middle, peace of mind! I have also overcome most of my fear, I had a root canal last year, I was very nervous but I think that's normal isn't it?

lena80 Sat 08-Oct-16 14:51:08

Denturedarling Thu 19-Apr-18 13:13:34

andycameron69 Sun 29-Apr-18 16:52:32

hi there great thread I have an upper partial denture NHS perfect fit and changed my life so much for the better. Love smiling and laughing , and no one knows

Great service I had