Gransnet forums

Health

Breast prosthesis (E cup) quandry

(4 Posts)
edlyu Fri 07-Sep-12 09:21:28

I had a full mastectomy in 2004 which has left a V shaped dent across the right side of my chest. All of the muscle from collar bone to bottom of my ribs was removed and because of this ( with a huge amount of Chemo +radiotherapy) I am still here to beef about things wink

But ...I have an E cup remaining breast and am having a big problem getting a prosthesis which will suit.

I have a stick-on at the moment and its driving me mad . It only sticks in parts and moves ever so slowly to a position where I have to rearrange it. This cant be done in public as I have to wrest the bit that does stick off my chest and try to put it in a better place.

Also its quite soft as its meant to emulate a real breast -but this means it sinks into the cup and leaves an even bigger gap at the top where it should meet the chest wall.

Im not convinced though that a non stick version would be any better . Surely there will still be a gap at the top?

Has anyone cured this problem? I am grateful that I am still here to get to know my grandchildren but this is an ongoing daily problem for me.

Elegran Fri 07-Sep-12 09:48:34

A woman across the room from me when I had my lumpectomy was there from choice having the second breast removed. She was a dance teacher, and had found that the prosthesis for the missing one was so big and heavy to match the remaining one that she could not move as she used to, and was continually uncomfortable. She passed it round the ward, and we all four agreed that it felt as though it were made of lead.

She was planning to buy lots of dainty elegant lingerie as soon as was discharged.

A bit drastic, but effective.

Joce345 Sun 07-Jul-19 17:29:45

This could be a bit late but there is some one that knits boobs for ladies that have suffered breast cancer, and I must say they are brilliant. Think they are called knitted knockers look them up you can make a small donation or not as you please they are so much lighter than the hospital ones.. hope you see this..

mrsgreenfingers56 Mon 08-Jul-19 10:31:37

Hi Edlyu, interested to read your post. I like you had a full mastectomy being a 36E bust size and finding a falsie can be a problem. I would urge you to go back to your breast cancer nurse as mine was great at letting me try on different type of prosthesis. She gave me one of the lighter ones especially for sporty women. It can be a real problem I know, I did have a knitted knocker and found quite good but they are so light you feel unbalanced and yet the gel prosthesis can be so heavy especially when you lean forward. I did have a smaller prosthesis and padded it out with some foam in my bra and the pocket I sewed into my bra. I think it is a case of experimenting. I did have the stick on one but didn't like it when I removed it at night, felt like I had a sticky octopus stuck to my chest and then I ended up with a red rash from the sticky little noodles on the falsie. Keep trying and don't give up. I did buy some modesty panels think from Betterware/Kleeneze that are little lace panels that attach to your bra straps and just cover up any gaps and obvious lack of breast. Keep trying and like you so glad to be here. Take care.