Gransnet forums

Health

Persistent cough..8 weeks!

(46 Posts)
nanaej Fri 14-Dec-12 19:00:04

I have now been coughing for 8 weeks..started at the end of a trip to Istanbul /Northern Cyprus and contued ever since. GP gave me antibiotics and this eased for a week or so but am now on another anti-biotic though she said chest sounded clear and I had a chest x-ray today. Swigging Pholcodine at bedtime so am sleeping. Feel OKish during the day though the coughing fits are annoying and sound as if I have been a heavy smoker. I get feverish in the evenings..

Anyone else shared these symptoms??

london Fri 14-Dec-12 19:10:31

nanaej i am the same had antibiotics for 3 weeks .had cough 5 weeks .it just will not go .the doctor said my chest is clear so just have to see what happens .

nanaej Fri 14-Dec-12 19:27:11

hi london thanks for commenting..It is so unusual for me.. never have coughs as a rule except the ones that accompany a head cold & never had antibiotics except 40 odd yrs ago in first yr of teaching when I got bronchitis!!

Nelliemoser Fri 14-Dec-12 19:40:04

I have heard of adults getting a recurrence of Whooping Cough.

crimson Fri 14-Dec-12 19:41:21

When I had a cough for 8 weeks a few years back I realised I was taking benylin which was probably making it worse. Latest cough has just had pholcodine [if that's Pavacol D]. Previous coughs have cleared up after using an asthma inhaler for a while. Although I've had two colds/coughs in the space of a month I seem to have got over both of them in a week. Can't believe how many times I've had to blow my nose this past week, though confused.

nanaej Fri 14-Dec-12 19:58:04

Thanks for responses..I seem to have a start of a headcold now..I am just so fed up as I am rarely unwell! angry

london Fri 14-Dec-12 19:58:39

I am puffing on my inhaler,s but nothink is working .might puff on them a bit more smile it,s so annoying x

nanaej Fri 14-Dec-12 20:22:54

Will have to find an inhaler! wink

Grannyeggs Fri 14-Dec-12 20:25:44

nanaej I have also had it, about ten weeks and the doctor also says chest is clear. It is beginning to clear up, nothing really helped.

nanaej Fri 14-Dec-12 20:28:16

Night..off to bed!

london Fri 14-Dec-12 20:30:26

nanaej all post some to you smile but like grannyeggs said nothink really helps .

JessM Fri 14-Dec-12 20:30:50

Adults certainly can get whooping cough. The vaccine wears a bit thin over the years. I had a bad cough, picked up in Australia when I visited my son in NZ this year. The week after I left (still coughing) he got truly a terrible cough, complete with whoops. I coughed for weeks after I got back. I think we both had whooping cough.
Currently there is rather a lot about which is why the NHS are recommending a booster to all pregnant women in the hopes that it will boost up their antibodies and newborns will be protected. They can become dangerously ill if they catch it. There have been several deaths this year.
I think the only thing is - stay away from newborns if you have a bad or persistent cough.
Miserable nanaej . I made a marmalade, ginger and hot water concoction which helped.
But if doesn't start to get better soon, go back and bother your GP in case you need further investigations. There are many things that can cause a cough.

Elegran Fri 14-Dec-12 21:16:15

My money would be on whooping cough. graph of incidence Jan 2007-Dec 2012

CHEELU Fri 14-Dec-12 23:56:45

My Dad had a cold that would not go away, after he went to Docs for test it had something to do with his immune system as it was found he was diabetic. Its worth getting checked even though it may not be what you have.

aadhirasharma Sat 15-Dec-12 06:56:46

if a Persistent cough..8 weeks then he/she has go the doctor for the treatment.

Brendawymms Sat 15-Dec-12 10:09:03

I often get a persistent cough and recently found a different approach
One teaspoon of honey into which quarter teaspoon of ground cinnamon is stirred three times a day for three days. I use a dessert spoon as the mixing bowl!

For me it works and does not taste too bad. I leave it in my mouth and let it slowly trickle down my throat.

vampirequeen Sat 15-Dec-12 15:56:12

I was diagnosed with whooping cough a couple of months ago. Gradually going but still can be irritating at times.

Was the chest xray for TB?

annodomini Sat 15-Dec-12 16:07:01

I have a cough that foxed the GPs, but as I also kept losing my voice I was sent to the ENT consultant who diagnosed laryngopharyngeal reflux - ie stomach acid getting into my larynx and throat, causing laryngitis and that annoying cough. I still have it but if I remember to use Gaviscon after meals, it's controlled - unless I laugh too much. grin

NfkDumpling Sat 15-Dec-12 22:55:12

There is also a very nasty cold going the around here which goes on for weeks and leaves sufferers coughing for weeks. DD swears by Vick on the soles of the feet at bedtime for DGDs. I tried it - and it seemed to help!

london Sat 15-Dec-12 23:08:10

nfkdumpling all try that instead of the chest fsmile]

london Sat 15-Dec-12 23:09:13

done the smile again

harrigran Sun 16-Dec-12 00:00:20

I had a cough, that lasted 8 weeks, about two years ago. A productive cough during the day but a tickly one during the night, it had me demented. Chest was clear. Coughing leaves you weary.

nanaej Mon 17-Dec-12 17:59:45

Hi all,
Thanks for all your tips which I will try. To add to the cough I believe I now have flu as I suddenly developed aches, fluctuating temperature and cannot concentrate on anything and just want to sleep, generally feel awful! Made myself get up at about 4:00 as cannot bear to be in bed 24 hours a day. Last night was bad as I could only breathe through my mouth so kept needing to drink, then needed to go to the toilet! So much to do & if this is flu will have no time to do it sad

london Mon 17-Dec-12 19:00:48

nanaej keep warm ,my cough is easing of now ..been puffing on my inhalers seems to have helped ,thank god take care flowers

HildaW Mon 17-Dec-12 19:05:58

There has been a public information advert on from time to time over the last few months. It states clearly that an adult who has an unexplained cough that does not go away MUST see doctor.