Gransnet forums

Health

Antibiotics for backpain?

(14 Posts)
M0nica Sun 05-Apr-20 19:16:37

Barmeyoldbat that is what my father was like. At one point I thought he was dying. He was at first prescribed Tramadol, but that did not even begin to touch the pain. It took an MRI scan and blood tests to finally identify the problem.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 05-Apr-20 16:05:24

Monica, for a while I had similar pain in my upper back and side, at times you couldn't even touch my back as it felt like a raw nerve, no-one could tell me what it was but I went on a high dose of antibiotics and it stopped. But oh the pain you just can't describe it.

Evoha16 Sun 05-Apr-20 14:53:52

Thankyou for that information - have forwarded it to someone suffering similarly - with no diagnosis - hopefully this may give them a scintilla of hope

M0nica Wed 01-Apr-20 16:54:07

There is an infection called discitis, where the cartilege between the discs becomes inflamed. My DF got it so badly he was in agonising pain. So bad they thought he might have a tumour. In the end he was kept in hospital on an antibiotic drip. It went in the end.

william2990 Wed 01-Apr-20 13:59:15

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

j08 Fri 10-May-13 14:17:40

I can't get into Medscape. hmm They've sent me a reminder of my username, but a reminder of my password is not forthcoming. I've tried several guesses but no luck.

JessM Fri 10-May-13 06:59:29

Careful reading by headline writers required? :

The Danish studies, published in the European Spinal Journal, found the presence of bacteria in 46 per cent of patients suffering from chronic lower back pain following a slipped or herniated disc.

Most bad backs are not herniated discs I believe. So 46% of a subset, please.

Here is a better summary of the research:

www.medscape.com/viewarticle/803858

j08 Thu 09-May-13 19:03:19

I've sometimes had back pain that has come on for no good reason, lasted a week or three, and then went away. I have several times thought it was a virus of some kind. Maybe I was nearer the truth than I realised. (I know viruses and bacteria infections are different)

I think it's interesting research. But I would rather wait for it to go off, than take antibiotics.

janeainsworth Wed 08-May-13 23:15:38

Well it is not without precedent - it is only quite recently that the role of bacteria in stomach ulcers was discovered.

"The Nobel Assembly at Karolinska Institutet has today decided to award
The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for 2005 jointly to

Barry J. Marshall and J. Robin Warren

for their discovery of "the bacterium Helicobacter pylori and its role in gastritis and peptic ulcer disease"

Summary
This year's Nobel Laureates in Physiology or Medicine made the remarkable and unexpected discovery that inflammation in the stomach (gastritis) as well as ulceration of the stomach or duodenum (peptic ulcer disease) is the result of an infection of the stomach caused by the bacterium Helicobacter pylori."
www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/medicine/laureates/2005/press.html

Elegran Wed 08-May-13 23:07:07

That is what they are saying - that 40% of back pain has a bacterial root cause.

Charleygirl Wed 08-May-13 22:58:10

There would have to be a bacterial infection for this treatment to be effective.

j08 Wed 08-May-13 21:45:07

Oh right! blush

#toldme grin

Galen Wed 08-May-13 21:40:46

hmm

j08 Wed 08-May-13 21:35:47

seems to be the latest theory

I wonder?