Gransnet forums

Health

acid reflux and breathlessness

(35 Posts)
JessM Sun 25-Aug-13 17:07:53

Was that a doctor who suggested that diet Faye?

Faye Sat 24-Aug-13 23:24:39

My mother sometimes had problems with her voice, sometimes it would go quite squeaky. Even though she was old her voice normally didn't sound old. She noticed it often happened if she was in a room with air conditioning. Mum died 21 months ago with cancer of the eosophagus, she had allergies and also problems with swallowing for many years and she had her eosophagus stretched regularly.

After Mum died I noticed I was beginning to have problems swallowing, severe heartburn and indigestion. I changed my diet after looking into alkaline/acidic foods which helped immensely.

Two weeks my 27 year old niece had an endoscopy because of severe acid reflux and has been diagnosed with eosinophilic oesophagitis. She said she may have an intolerance to some foods, which she suspected and has been advised to go on a six week elimination diet.

I am wondering if all this ties in together willsandco. The foods my niece is eliminating for the next six weeks are wheat, dairy, soy, eggs, meat and nuts. Not sure what she will be eating, it cuts out a lot of food.

carboncareful Sat 24-Aug-13 22:28:19

Omeprazole gives me terrible wind and does not help with the acid. Gaviston is good though.

feetlebaum Sat 24-Aug-13 21:36:33

The omeprazole works by limiting the production of stomach acid.

nanaej Sat 24-Aug-13 20:35:58

Exactly! & no I do not think I have that! I am going back next week to see a different GP!

FlicketyB Sat 24-Aug-13 19:45:04

I thought acid reflux was acid coming up from the stomach into the oesophagus. At least that is what happens when, occasionally I have acid indigestion, and I thought the two were the same thing.

If you have that, you know about it.

j08 Sat 24-Aug-13 18:41:18

I would have thought, if you had acid reflux you would have known about it. In fact, I am sure you would have done.

nanaej Sat 24-Aug-13 18:28:28

Hmm My GP decided I had reflux. I had a series of ENT infections and then a horrible sore and ulcerated tongue that I was given steroids for & which cleared it. Ended up with a sore throat that has now been going on , intermittently, for weeks! I eventually went to GP who said it was caused by reflux and prescribed omeprazole. Still have the sore throat. hmm

j08 Sat 24-Aug-13 18:17:59

Don't think acid reflux would do that. Do you take omeprazole for that? It's very good.

As we get older I think our lungs can't hold quite so much air, so we can't go on talking for so long on one breath. I find. Could that be it? Not sure why your words would be slurred though.

willsandco Sat 24-Aug-13 17:30:30

diagnosed acid reflux in early May. Still breathless now. My voice just doesnt project and sometimes my words seem slurred cos I cant get to finish the sentences.....anyone else ever had a similar problem?