Gransnet forums

Health

Shingles - Ouch!!!

(38 Posts)
Flowerofthewest Wed 02-Oct-13 19:34:45

woke up with an extremely aching back on left hand side last Sunday. Thought I had pulled a muscle. It became worse as the days went on,
it was also around the area where (if I had a kidney that side) it would have been a kidney infection. I was taking painkillers and made an appointment at the doctors - Tuesday night I decided not to take painkillers so as not to mask the pain then I could describe exactly what it felt like. I woke Wednesday morning with the most excruciating pain all around the left side of my 'waist'
I woke my DH and said 'It feels like shingles' I had had shingles 35 years ago and remembered the pain. GP diagnosed shingles as I had one or two 'spots' on my back. These became several but not as many as 35 years ago. The pain was unbearable, honestly, I have never known such agony. Burning, stabbing, deep gnawing pain and itching(and all at the same time) I have had only 8 hours sleep in the past 5 days although I have nodded off in the day. My medication has gone from paracetamol and co-codamol, to Tramadol and paracetamol along with Aciclovir (anti viral tablets) to Tramadol, paracetamol and Amitriptyline this one taken 2 hours before bed.

My advice is if you suspect Shingles get to the Doctor immediately - the sooner Acuclovir is started the less likely the shingles will cause complication.) Anyone else experienced the extreme pain of shingles?

Flowerofthewest Wed 02-Oct-13 19:35:30

Re above, read a week last Sunday, I have had the pain for 11 days now

merlotgran Wed 02-Oct-13 19:44:24

Poor you, Flowerofthewest. I had shingles ten years ago which travelled along the path of the sciatic nerve down my right leg. Like you, I've never known pain like it but Tramadol was too strong for me and made me sick.

It's not funny is it? Get well soon. flowers

annsixty Wed 02-Oct-13 19:44:28

I commented last week on another thread(can't remember which) that only people aged 70 and 79 can have the shingles vaccination this year but I would urge those who can to take the opportunity. It is very nasty.

Hebs Wed 02-Oct-13 19:45:21

I have had shingles, I had the spots in 2 places. I did not go to the doctors for a week, thinking it would go away, it didn't it got worse, it is a horrible pain. it hurts from the spots down to your bones, as if you can follow the nerve down into your body. look after yourself, keep warm and sleep whenever you can day or night.

Flowerofthewest Wed 02-Oct-13 20:04:43

hebrideanlady, how I agree, the pain was like nothing on Earth. Still there, I have just rested and been waited on by me lovely DH. If I hadn't had had all clear with my latest CT scan 2 weeks ago I would have thought that the cancer had returned. (not that I had any pain then, just post op)

gracesmum Wed 02-Oct-13 20:08:16

Every sympathy to fellow sufferers. I had it in my head and I honestly felt it was ike someone trying to drill a hole into it (was thinking brain tumour at least) The Aciclovir was started within 2 days and also a prescription was faxed to Boots in Westbourne (Bournemouth) where DH was working at the time for him to take! Although it spread down my forehead, it stopped short of my etes which was ucky as it can cause permanent damage. Cheerful. Felt thoroughy rotten and hope that having had it, I can't get it again. Rest, rest, more rest and patience I fear.

Hebs Wed 02-Oct-13 20:11:18

That is so nice, you have a DH to care for you, it is times like this when you appreciate loved ones. It is a hard pain to describe but part of it is your bones hurt and also you feel just awful. flowers

Brendawymms Wed 02-Oct-13 20:18:00

The GP here is offering injections against shingles for some people aged 70 and then 79 and above. I am not sure why 71- to 78 are not included.

Flowerofthewest Wed 02-Oct-13 20:38:55

gracesmum, I have had it twice, with a 35 year gap. My 7 year old daughter contracted chickenpox at the same time and for the second time. She developed meningitus from the virus. not a good year.

Mishap Wed 02-Oct-13 22:03:38

It is a horrid illness - look after yourself and get better soon.

Aka Wed 02-Oct-13 22:09:07

Poor you. Get well soon.

vampirequeen Wed 02-Oct-13 22:12:11

You have my sympathy. The pain is horrific. xx

petallus Wed 02-Oct-13 22:30:49

My sympathy! It sounds awful.

My doctor has offered me a shingles injection and I was wondering whether or not to bother but now I definitely will.

Eloethan Wed 02-Oct-13 23:13:24

My mum had shingles about 5 years ago when she was 87. From what I recall, she didn't have a rash. I think it started with a sort of terrible shooting pain down her arm and moved to her head, face and ear. It was the most awful experience watching her in absolute agony. The doctors said all they could advise was for her to take paracetamol, which she did but it hardly touched the pain. She then got Bells Palsy and I didn't think her face would ever go back to normal. Fortunately it did.

I got shingles when we were on holiday in Portugal this year. My husband insisted I go to a clinic. The doctor prescribed an anti-viral drug and, apart from one very painful night, I was fortunate enough not to suffer too much and it soon cleared up. I wish they'd prescribed those anti-virals for my mum but perhaps because she had no obvious rash, it was too late for anti-virals to be effective.

I've heard so many different things about shingles - that it's not infectious, that it is infectious, that you can't get it again (but FloweroftheWest says she's had it before). I now feel inclined to get vaccinated, even if I have to pay for it.

FloweroftheWest I do hope you soon feel better. Get as much rest as you possibly can.

LizG Thu 03-Oct-13 00:14:26

Flowerofthewest and other sufferers you have my sympathy shingles sounds dreadful flowers.

Fortunately I have not had it (yet, but touching wood like mad) but when my children were young and a neighbour had it the Health Visitor told me that children could catch Chicken Pox from a shingles sufferer but that shingles itself would not be passed on. From the same source I was told you can't catch shingles from someone with chicken pox although I have heard stories which appear to disagree with this.

I also believe it is sadly something which can return. Needless to say the two daughters I had at the time both went down with chicken pox.

annsixty Thu 03-Oct-13 05:59:30

Eloethan I have asked about paying for vaccination but told this is not available at the moment.

kittylester Thu 03-Oct-13 07:06:42

I gave seen the shingles vaccination advertised at £240.

A friend who is undergoing chemo has developed shingles which has become infected. As if that wasn't bad enough, it is in a part of her body that makes sitting down very difficult - just when she really needs to take it easy. sad

thatbags Thu 03-Oct-13 07:10:50

Very sorry to hear about your shingles, flowerW. I hope you are beginning to feel better.

grandimars Thu 03-Oct-13 09:20:13

I had the shingles vaccination a couple of weeks ago, I am 70. The nurse explained that they have researched the age groups which are most likely to contract it and to have the worst reaction, which are 70 and 79, so they are being offered it first. The other age groups will get it in due course, but as it is a live vaccine they can only produce it in relatively small batches.

kittylester Thu 03-Oct-13 09:24:00

On NHS Choices website it says that if you don't get it when you are 70 you will have to wait until you reach 79. Mind the gap grin

glammanana Thu 03-Oct-13 10:59:56

FloweroftheForest I do hope you are resting and sleeping as much as you can,I have not had shingles myself but DS1 had a very bad case of it when he was 20,he was away from home with his Regiment at the time and after he was diagnosed by Medic he was sent home via Military ambulance for me to look after as he was still contagious and a lot of the nurse's would have been put at risk,he had the illness for 11 weeks before he could return to his unit he was very poorly indeed so I know how rotten you must be feeling our own GP said it is brought on when your body is really run down and can't fight infection,how true that is I don't know but please take care of yourself. flowers

Flowerofthewest Thu 03-Oct-13 19:49:21

Eleothan, yes you can get it twice I think the NHS site says that the rash may not appear in subsequent attacks. You can get chickenpox from shingles but not the other way round. This from my GP Hence I am to stay away from my new baby granddaughter and my pregnant DIL. I am taking the anti-viral drug it doesn't stop the pain but it does prevent the virus from causing complications (think thats what Dr Tim said)

Flowerofthewest Thu 03-Oct-13 19:51:36

GP thinks it is because I have been run down and suffering from anxiety due to health problems and awaiting scan results etc. All ok in that respect.

Tegan Thu 03-Oct-13 20:05:08

I think I might be tempted to pay for the shingles vaccine; so many people have told me how painful it is. I hope you feel better soon, Flower, but give yourself lots of time to get over it when you do.