Gransnet forums

Health

screw top jars

(12 Posts)
suey Sun 29-Jun-14 11:22:28

Does anyone have advice on devices to open screw top jars please? I have a Lakeland "jar Key" which is good for things like jam jars but how about lids like those on Bovril jars which have several rows of screw?
Also ..the perennial...how to open bleach bottles with an arthritic hand. I get people to open tops when they are here and decant the bleach into a large milk bottle.

Ana Sun 29-Jun-14 11:30:29

This is a good gadget for most screw-top jars.

www.lakeland.co.uk/13500/Zyliss-Jar-Opener

The bleach bottles are ridiculous...!

vegasmags Sun 29-Jun-14 11:40:51

I can plug in to this, as I don't have the strength in my hands that I used to. Things like bleach bottles, with that stupid push and turn mechanism drive me nuts. Recently, I completely gave up on trying to open a large plastic bottle of screen wash, and sawed the top of the bloody thing with a hacksaw. Not a method to be recommended, but I was nearly in tears of frustration.

Galen Sun 29-Jun-14 12:00:42

I have the gadget made by the same people who make the toupee turning one. Culinaire, that's it. It's brilliant

whenim64 Sun 29-Jun-14 12:09:33

In desperation, when the gadgets have failed, I've punched a hole in the jar lid with my bottle opener. It releases air and the top comes off like a dream. Then it's a matter of finding another container for what's left.

I recently struggled with the tiny screw top of a perfume bottle - it just wouldn't budge. In the end, strips of fabric plaster around both bottle and the top to give a wider area to grip did the trick.

Bleach bottles are infuriating - I've resorted to cutting them across the neck and decanting into a liquid washing detergent bottle, big label attached.

janerowena Sun 29-Jun-14 12:21:12

For bleach bottles (I have arthritic fingers) I use a nutcracker, it's perfect. It grips well. Just make sure the pinchy bits match up with the marks on the lid.

Ana Sun 29-Jun-14 12:22:39

What a good idea, janerowena! Must try that.

JulieGransnet (GNHQ) Sun 29-Jun-14 12:23:59

I use a rubber glove and place it over the lid, then twist as it adds a little grip to the top, or try running the top of the jar under the hot water tap sometimes helps, as does using the handle ends of a pair of scissors (open them, put the jar lid inside, close onto the lid and twist).

Lids with a valve, I use a spoon and lift the edge of the lid up slightly. It allows air inside and makes the lid super easy to take off.

Good luck! smile

Soutra Sun 29-Jun-14 12:59:40

I use a bottle opener to release the pressure and screwtops generally open very easily. For smaller bottles/jars I use nutcrackers (!) and as for the."push and turn" , I frequentlyleave them open. Like the idea of sawing the whole damn top off though!

annodomini Sun 29-Jun-14 13:38:57

Rubber gloves give a better grip on screwtop jars and bottles.

Anne58 Sun 29-Jun-14 15:13:53

Galen is it only me that is confused by I have the gadget made by the same people who make the toupee turning one

I didn't even know toupees needed turning, let alone that there was a special gadget for it!

Deedaa Sun 29-Jun-14 15:32:29

I have a very useful gadget - a bit like nutcrackers that was bought by my grandfather, so is over 60 years old. It is very good for screw top jars and bottles although as it's much slenderer than a nutcracker it's getting rather flimsy now. I live in fear of it falling apart because I've not seen anything like it for years.
If I've once got the lid off the bleach I never put it back on properly and I have more than once sawn the top off a bottle!