Gransnet forums

Health

Post menopausal bleeding - help/advice really needed

(53 Posts)
Liz1989 Mon 01-Sep-14 18:50:47

Hello,
I hope everyone doesn't mind me posting on here as I'm not a grandma but my mum is and that's what my question is about.
She's 55 and has gone through the menopause. However, last week when we were on holiday, she had a bleed on one day. Prior to that she had 4 days of discharge and after she had a blood tinged greeny discharge with no odour which is still happening, though it seems to be getting less.
We got back yesterday and today she has gone to the doctor. The doctor didn't really say what it could or couldn't be but did say that it is very uncommon for post menopausal bleeding which panicked my mum.
The doctor did a smear and took swabs and said that she could see that there was blood still and she bled some more with the smear. She gets the results back in 48 hours and the smear results in a few weeks. In the meantime she will be having a scan apt date in a few weeks.
I'm riddled with anxiety as to what it could be - I've searched for ages on the internet and loads of things are coming up that it is cancer.
She has absolutely no other symptoms apart from the bleeding.
Has anyone had anything like this before? Any help or advice would be so appreciated. Thank you smile

shysal Mon 01-Sep-14 19:42:38

I had a PM bleed, but not the discharge. When I was investigated, which I believe is always done urgently, I was told it was just from atrophy and advised to use an oestrogen cream.
I hope your mother has her diagnosis soon and that it is something harmless. There is no point saying don't worry, because we always do, it will be a long few weeks for you both.flowers

Brendawymms Mon 01-Sep-14 19:45:43

It's best to wait for the results and try to ignore Dr Google, although I consult it at times! May be something easily treated and at least the GP took action. I don't think post menopause bleeding is that uncommon and there is usually a fairly easy solution.
Hope you get the answer soon because not knowing is far worse than knowing whatever the result.

littleflo Mon 01-Sep-14 20:06:55

This happened to my Mum when she was about your mum's age. It turned out to be pre cancerous cells which was treated by radium. My mum is now 92. No good telling you not to worry, but with the advances in medicine since my mum had her treatment, you can hope for a good outcome what ever the diagnosis. Hope this helps.

Liz1989 Mon 01-Sep-14 20:25:00

Thank you so much for your replies and help. I will let you know how she gets on smile thank you

louisamay Mon 01-Sep-14 20:44:10

I've had this several times since the menopause. Investigations have never found anything apart from vaginal atrophy, which is very common. According to the gynae I have seen several times, post menopausal bleeding/ discharge is not uncommon and there are many benign causes.

Liz1989 Mon 01-Sep-14 21:53:27

Thank you very much!

Mishap Mon 01-Sep-14 22:32:50

It is good that this is being investigated speedily - I do hope that it is something benign. Google can be a bit of a worry as it lacks subtlety!

Gracesgran Mon 01-Sep-14 22:42:40

You have been given lots of good advice Liz 1989 and I am unable to add more. I do hope you hear quickly and that it is nothing to worry about.

On the subject of vaginal atrophy (surely it could have a better name smile) I do wish they would advertise products in the same way that "bladder weakness" is now dealt with. The mention of Tena Lady is more likely to make people smile than cringe now and I do think the "intimate lubricant" market could do with the same treatment.

Jamaloka Tue 02-Sep-14 19:54:01

I had post menopausal bleeding and was very worried when I was quickly refered to the hospital. However after investigation it was found that the bleed was from polyps in the womb which I had removed in day surgery. No problems since. I hope all is well with your mum, a post menopausal bleed can be serious, but more often than not it is caused by something that can be simply sorted.

etheltbags1 Tue 02-Sep-14 22:05:34

I too had the same thing and mine was polyps too and although I was terrified it was done in a day and I was home by teatime. the only annoying thing is that I had to stay off work for a couple of weeks afterwards to allow it to heal up.

Liz1989 Tue 02-Sep-14 22:57:06

Thank you all so much for your help and reassurance. I'm glad that you are all okay now and haven't had problems since. Thank you smile

Cressida Wed 03-Sep-14 11:08:48

I've had post menopausal bleeding 3 times. Each time it has been caused by a polyp in the womb which has been removed.

Each time I've been seen within a week of being referred to the hospital. I was very worried the first time as I wasn't expecting to get a phone call from the hospital within 24 hours of being referred offering me an appointment a few days later.

tcherry Wed 03-Sep-14 21:23:12

Hello Liz how lucky is your Mum to have a daughter that cares and loves her so much.

I had a post menopausal bleed it was a whole 4 years after my last period, test were done but they never found anything, sometimes its just nature, doing what nature does.

It also happened to my sons Mother in law and nothing bad was found

Why do we humans always think the worse then get on the internet and convince ourselves that it is something bad..

That Doctor that told your Mum that it was un usual has alot to answer for Doctors do this all of the time, they speak before they think.

Doctors get things wrong all of the time. When I went to the Doctors because I kept feeling sick, he told me I had a virus, 9 months later I gave birth to a 7ilb 14oz baby!! so not a virus but was pregnant.

All my best wishes to your Mum and to you smile

Liz1989 Fri 05-Sep-14 14:19:49

Thank you all for your helpful and kind replies.
Mum had one set of results and apparently she has Strep B which is an infection but wouldn't cause bleeding apparently so still needs to go to the hospital sad.
Has anyone had strep B? Is it an underlying symptom of anything else?
Thank you smile x

littleflo Fri 05-Sep-14 14:52:00

Liz, I agree with tcherry, you do sound like a lovely daughter. Can I suggest you do a new post asking if anyone has strep B as some gransnetters might not be following this thread. Hope things turn out well for your mum.

Liz1989 Fri 05-Sep-14 14:52:51

Thank you very much - I will do a new post now smile

Treebee Fri 05-Sep-14 22:34:40

I had a small bleed 5 years after my last period. My GP referred me straight away for investigations at hospital . I have fibroids but they didn't think this would have caused a bleed, in fact they found no reason.
All has been well since.
I do hope your Mum gets her infection sorted and has no further symptoms.

Katek Tue 09-Sep-14 09:53:08

I too had a post menopausal bleed but it turned out to be two large fibroids which I had removed. No problems since. Bleeding isn't always a sign of something nasty. Hope things go well.

maxgran Tue 09-Sep-14 14:14:40

I was shocked after I had a very slight PM bleed, by how seriously the GP took it - He referred me to the hospital within days for a colposcopy and they told me my cervix did not look right so they took biopsies.
Meanwhile, stupidly - I googled for information and it takes you down the road of cancer.
I was convinced I had something awful because they took 5 biopsies - and I got myself into a right state.

The results were clear, so they did a hysteroscopy,..I was still convinced I had something awful - but the results were fine.

In the end they said it was simply vaginal atrophy but they said to have smears more regular for a short while.

The treatment I received was really thorough and they do all they can to make sure you are ok.
I told the nurses how worked up I had got myself and they were lovely and said I should have phoned the clinic at any time for reassurance and advice.

Taught me never to google for information re my health - and to speak to someone!

annodomini Tue 09-Sep-14 14:47:29

It can be caused by stress. I had a bit of pm bleeding after moving house thirty years ago and following a D&C it was concluded that the stress of the move had been responsible.

Liz1989 Sun 21-Sep-14 21:36:54

Thank you for all your comments!
Just a little update:
Mum had her appointment on Thursday at the hospital. They gave her an ultrasound and they found her womb lining was at 5.7mm and so needed to take a pipelle biopsy. When they tried to take the biopsy, mum panicked a bit and tightened up so they were unable to do it. They referred her urgently and so now she's having a hysterocopy on Thursday.
Can polyps cause a thickened womb lining and did anyone have discharge or any pains with them?
Any help gratefully received.
Thank you smile xx

Mishap Sun 21-Sep-14 22:34:48

I am afraid that I am unable to answer your questions, but glad that the right medical input is happening. I hope all goes well on Thursday.

annsixty Mon 22-Sep-14 09:20:14

Yes Liz I also, after PM bleeding had a scan which showed a thickened womb lining.I had a hysteroscopy a few days later which showed polyps.I had day surgery a week later and the biopsy on these were fine.
I have had no problems since.All good wishes to you and your Mum and let us know how she is. I should perhaps have explained that the reason for the haste in my case was because I had had Breast Cancer and every thing is taken seriously after that.

shysal Mon 22-Sep-14 09:24:27

Thanks for the update Liz, I have been thinking of you and your Mum. I hope Thursday gives the answer, and that it is something innocent. flowers