Gransnet forums

Health

Cystitis

(24 Posts)
felice Tue 21-Oct-14 11:12:15

Any one got a home remedy for Cystitis, Cranderry juice gave me the runs, and with the cystitis that was awful, going to the doctor on friday anyway but other than drinking gallons of water is there anything else i can use.
You cannot buy medications over the counter here for it, need a prescription.

felice Tue 21-Oct-14 11:13:17

Sorry about the spelling right hand still in plaster.

Teetime Tue 21-Oct-14 11:16:01

Oh dear how painful - can you not ring the surgery and get an urgent prescription made up until then not too much water it can make it worse- try to aim for straw coloured wee. There is a large thread on here somewhere we lots of suggestions from fellow sufferers. Try a nice warm bath no soap on the affected area and some green tea if you have it - you probably need that prescription though. Hope you feel better soon.

Mishap Tue 21-Oct-14 11:18:21

Ouch - it is horrid I know. I hope you get the right treatment soon and that it clears things up quickly.

felice Tue 21-Oct-14 11:25:36

We don't have surgeries as such here, all doctors are private and mine is away until Friday.Typical.
Cannot get in and out of the bath, I thought lots of water was good , to flush out the infection, and stop it moving to the kidneys, a doctor in Portugal certainly told me to drink lots.

I will have a look for other threads, thanks.

Teetime Tue 21-Oct-14 11:59:51

if you type Cystitis into the search box at the top right of the page lots of info comes up.

Teetime Tue 21-Oct-14 12:00:25

I usually go straight to the NHS Choices page- you don't have to be in the NHS to access it.

nightowl Tue 21-Oct-14 13:00:11

Before cranberry juice we were always told to drink lots of very diluted lemon barley water, if you can get that where you are. I used to swear by it when I suffered in my twenties.

felice Tue 21-Oct-14 13:05:17

DD just made a rendevous for me to see her GP tomorrow morning, you can go to any doctor here don't have to be registered and your main details can be acsessed by Doctors via your ID card.
See him at 8.00am, so should get things sorted.
I am not sure where i could get barley water, really want it now as I used to love it. I might add some to my Xpat bring list.

thanks for the advice.

nightowl Tue 21-Oct-14 13:34:22

Some home remedies suggested here felice, which may help until you get to the GP. I remember the misery of waiting for that appointment, and not being able to get comfortable anywhere. I used to resort to sitting on the loo for up to an hour with a book and a supply of liquids. Agony but somehow better than the constant running to the loo for little reward!

www.sweet-cures.com/easingthesymptoms.htm

felice Tue 21-Oct-14 13:43:31

have lemons in the fridge, will squeeze a little into my water jug.
Thanks.

annodomini Tue 21-Oct-14 13:49:04

A solution of bicarb can ease the pain, temporarily. I think it's a teaspoon to half a pint of water. As long as it doesn't act as an emetic. hmm

TriciaF Tue 21-Oct-14 13:54:52

So glad you've managed to get a doctor's appointment - from my experience you shouldn't delay with cystitis. The infection can spread to the kidneys and that is serious.
After that, prevention is the main thing, you need to find out what's causing it.

Elegran Tue 21-Oct-14 14:06:47

If you can't get barley water but can get barley, you can make your own.

"Barley water is a traditional remedy for cystitis. Boil one litre of water with one handful of pearl barley. Simmer to reduce it down to about 500ml. Drink when cool. Add Manuka honey and lemon juice for taste."

I found that at www.bodyandsoul.com.au/health/natural+health/natural+remedies+for+cystitis,12785

felice Tue 21-Oct-14 14:08:53

First time for more than 20 years, I will see DDs doctor tomorrow morning get something for it and then see my own doctor on friday.
DDs doctor is french speaking and I prefer English if possible for medical stuff although my french is quite good.
they will do a urine test and probably blood tests, then send any results to my own GP.
Everything well covered.

Elegran Tue 21-Oct-14 14:11:18

Sodium citrate drinks neutralise the acid urine and makes it sting less. You can buy sachets online.

felice Tue 21-Oct-14 14:31:56

Barley is one of the things on my Xpat bring list, usually by friends who visit family here at Christmas, none left at the moment. Hope the cystitis will not return for another 20 years.

shysal Tue 21-Oct-14 14:35:50

I started a thread on this subject a while ago, but I can't find it on search. A few GNetters advised the use of D-Mannose. My infection responded to Nitrofurantoin, but, in case of future problems, I have bought from Ebay, some of this natural sugar, which is the type contained in cranberries, but much more concentrated. Apparently it attaches itself to the e coli bacteria which are usually the cause of cystitis, and removes them from the bladder wall enabling them to be flushed away. Fortunately I have not had cause to put the substance to the test yet. I suggest you Google it for more information.

Agus Tue 21-Oct-14 18:28:46

For emergency only Felice mix a level tsp of soda bic in a large glass of water. I say emergency only as this remedy, on a regular basis, interferes with the blood. I have mixed it successfully with orange juice too.

Eleanorre Sat 25-Oct-14 17:54:04

No bicarbonate if you have high blood pressure it makes it worse. D
o drink lots.

felice Sat 25-Oct-14 20:27:51

hi thanks again, saw DDs GP, and got some Ciprofloxacine, my own GP phoned me on thursday morning to ask how I was after he heard my message on his mobile and i saw him again on friday evening and all seems well.
The lemon juice in water seemed to ease it a bit.

overthehill Fri 31-Oct-14 20:38:06

Yes to D Manos I always take it away with me when I go on holiday. As someone else said it attaches itself to ecoli and removes it from your system.

Now going to get a bit graghic. After a bowel movement make sure any faeces is wiped away from the bottom area and make sure it doesn't get anywhere near the vagina. Also if you have sexual relations, make sure your partner washes himself thoroughly before intercourse. Ecoli can live harmlessly in the bowel but causes cystitis if it enters the vagina.

MargaretX Sat 01-Nov-14 15:21:23

I have found out that Germans approach things like cystitis differently. When affected I drink lots of Chamomile tea, better made of the real dried flowers than the ready packed tea. Chamomile is not only calming but relieves inflammation.

One German friend of mine told me she sits first in a cold bath and then in a hot bath, this is a well documented method for relieving inflamation because the short chill forces the blood to flow to the inflamed area.

If you have lot of cystitis when the urine is not infected then you need a bit of an oestragon vaginal cream and after a few weeks the symptoms go away for good.

Rowantree Tue 04-Nov-14 18:20:19

I've said it before on another thread (only just seen this, sorry!) but I second overthehill's recommendation of d-mannose. It's brilliant, you don't need a prescription AND IT WORKS.

I would never be without it. I take it everywhere. You get it on the internet. It's not cheap but definitely worth it and no problems with resistance as it doesn't kill e-coli, just works in a different way to get rid of it from the body.

That said, I'm glad yours is better and that you got swift treatment from a GP. What a relief that must be smile