Gransnet forums

Health

Would you consider Botox etc.

(96 Posts)
pompa Sun 16-Nov-14 19:27:44

Just watching the tennis, it would appear the Sur barker has had some sort of treatment, botox/fillers ?. When she smiles. only her mouth moves, IMO, not a good look.

Wrinkles are the story of your life and I like them. I would however love to get my teeth fixed, I have had buck teeth all my life and am very conscious of them. But the cost and pain put me off.
I was very surprised when our daughter said she would have Botox as soon as she thought she needed it, she hates injections.
I suppose having a replacement hip/knee is a type of remedial surgery.

Would you consider such treatments, or perhaps you have already had them.

soontobe Tue 18-Nov-14 20:47:59

Perhaps it doesnt make them look better[never seen a person in rl who has had it done], but it does appear to keep their media career going for longer.

pompa Tue 18-Nov-14 20:48:22

Soontobe. We will not know, neither is there any reason why we should. I wonder whether the TV cameras/lights make it look more extreme than it is in real life. I will have to ask my BBC spy (DIL)

rosequartz Tue 18-Nov-14 21:12:51

Well, pompa I wouldn't like to have anything pumped in, but I might like to have some taken out from various bits! (liposuction, an eye lift - and teeth fixed) grin

pompa Tue 18-Nov-14 21:20:57

I could certainly use some liposuction, but having seen films of it being done - no thanks. Due for some serious dental work, but wanted to speak to my surgeon regarding knee replacement and dentistry after seeing some concerns on GN.

Ana Tue 18-Nov-14 21:25:39

Does your surgeon do dentistry as well, pompa? What's the connection? (Serious question, as I'm in a bit of a quandary about dental work as well...)

Nonu Tue 18-Nov-14 21:27:59

I am certainly not shouting at you pompa, , believe it or not !!

pompa Tue 18-Nov-14 21:37:05

Ana, there is a thread some where dealing with it in more detail.

Apparently major dental work can cause infection that settles in replaced joints. because there is no blood supply to the joint, the infection does not get killed by the white blood cells as it normally would and for the same reason antibiotics are ineffective, potentially very serious for the joint.
If you have had replacement joints, your dentist must be made aware and may prescribe antibiotics from day one. My surgeon confirmed this, so I need to ensure my dentist is aware before he starts.

whitewave Tue 18-Nov-14 21:50:56

Teeth seem to be implicated in a lot of things now. When DH was in with a heart condition a couple of years ago everyone had their teeth sorted if necessary.

Ana Tue 18-Nov-14 22:00:25

Yes, I see.

The reason I asked was because I had a Zoledronic Acid infusion earlier this year due to osteopenia and they said to wait at least three months before any invasive dental treatment, but my dentist seemed to think I should wait even longer.

whitewave Tue 18-Nov-14 22:03:47

I would think with regard to teeth that it is as good a reason as any to keep on top of the cleaning and go regularly for a clean and polish.

Ana Tue 18-Nov-14 22:20:22

Er...thanks for that, whitewave but the problem with my teeth wasn't caused by a lack of dental hygiene! hmm

Iam64 Wed 19-Nov-14 08:42:15

What a lot of useful information about teeth and joints, all thanks to pomp's question about botox. smile

pompa Wed 19-Nov-14 17:44:59

I love the way threads twist and turn, like Chinese whispers.

Hotmama Wed 19-Nov-14 18:09:13

I haven't had Botox but I've had Restylane fillers which just plumps my face out a bit and gives a more youthful look. Funnily enough my lady dentist does it for me. Quite costly but worth it.

pompa Wed 19-Nov-14 18:37:16

How long does it last ? Expensive ? give us a clue

Hotmama Wed 19-Nov-14 19:29:52

It lasts about five months and the cost depends on how many syringes you have but I pay just over £300. You probably need more to start with and then you just have top ups. I think it's worth it, it's more of a gentle look than Botox and freshens your face up. I have it done on the lines from the sides of the nose down to the mouth and in the corners of the mouth. The product my dentist uses is called Juvederm and she always takes care not to overdo it.

whitewave Wed 19-Nov-14 21:10:19

Oh ana we do seem to be at crossed purposes! My second post was following on from my first not in answer to your post which happens to be in the middle of mine - sorry for the muddle.

Ana Wed 19-Nov-14 21:14:11

Sorry, whitewave, I think I'm a bit over-sensitive, teeth-wise! smile

whitewave Wed 19-Nov-14 21:26:41

I always have been as mine have always been quite crooked which I hate I did wear a brace as a child into teenage years but once I left it off they all moved back to their original position. It seems to follow in families as my daughter was the same and so are the grandchildren the difference being that technology moved on and they have or are in the process of having delightfully straight teeth

Agus Wed 19-Nov-14 21:56:45

whitewave it is not so much the concern about teeth but if extractions are necessary. For those with a heart condition, the fact they are on a daily dose of blood thinners whereby the blood doesn't clot naturally, it is important for the dentist to monitor the blood loss after an extraction.

This has been the case for many years, not just a recent thing.

Agus Wed 19-Nov-14 22:03:03

ps. Hope your DH is doing well.

whitewave Wed 19-Nov-14 22:07:30

Oh I see, thank you for that. Yes DH is doing OK - has a yearly checkup and all is well.

kittylester Thu 20-Nov-14 07:28:08

Did anyone see Priscilla Presley on Breakfast yesterday - she was a really good advert for leaving well alone!

nightowl Thu 20-Nov-14 19:24:15

Another thought - botox is tested on animals, usually mice, and the suffering involved (slow paralysis, leading to them being unable to breathe, necks broken using a ballpoint pen, those that survive gassed at the end of the experiment etc.) is appalling. Perhaps justified if the botox is to be used for essential medical treatments, but the overwhelming amount of botox produced is used for cosmetic purposes. Every batch produced has to be tested for toxicity in this way, and that's another reason I could never consider using it.

pompa Thu 20-Nov-14 19:42:27

Are not a lot of cosmetics tested on animals, or am I way out of date?
( I'm not suggesting that is acceptable)