Gransnet forums

Health

TENS machine for hip?

(18 Posts)
NotTooOld Wed 07-Jan-15 20:28:37

I've only just seen your post, soop, but thank you so much for the encouragement (badly needed). Happy new year to you, too.

soop Tue 30-Dec-14 12:11:52

Lona I'm chortling as I read your response. VERY funny!

Lona Mon 29-Dec-14 17:56:19

soop You almost make me want one, and my hips are ok!! grin

soop Mon 29-Dec-14 17:50:07

NotTooOLd I've had both hips replaced and can truthfully say that, apart from the inevitable soreness for a wee time post op, I have NEVER regretted it. The second hip was performed whilst I was aware of the sights and sounds of the operating theatre. I had an injection in my spine (cannot remember the terminology)...I had a super male nurse to hold my hand and we blethered non-stop - and it was NOT a fearful experience in any way, shape or form. The only gripe that I had was that I was not allowed a G&T with my supper! Get yourself sorted. You will have a far better quality of life. You'll also have the experience of meeting others who are going through the same procedure. I came out of hospital having made two new friends. Let us know what you decide to do. Best wishes for the coming year. flowers

NotTooOld Mon 29-Dec-14 14:14:43

Thanks, Soop. I think I could probably go on the list for a hip replacement now but I am scared. I should also have a gromit put in my ear as everyone keeps telling me I'm deaf - but I'm scared of that, too. My NYR should be to have both these things done and then to get on with my life but......you've guessed it.....I'm scared. I might start a new thread about gromits as perhaps others have experiences to pass on.

soop Mon 29-Dec-14 12:18:07

Good news, NotTooOld any relief from the gnawing pain of arthritis has to be a bonus. Should you have the chance to have the joint replaced...go for it. Best wishes. sunshine

NotTooOld Mon 29-Dec-14 12:09:53

Hello - and happy new year to you all! I said I would let you know how I get on with the TENS machine for my arthritic hip, so I will. I have been using it for a few days now and although it is not exactly a miracle cure it has certainly made a difference. I have been able to cut down on the pain killers, which was my aim.

My machine is a mini-tens (from Amazon, about £17). It has only one pad which sticks to your skin and this means you can stick it on and carry on as normal; it doesn't show through your clothes. The programme runs for 30 minutes and then you can restart it (through your trousers!) by simply pressing the button. I think you can make it run for an hour but I haven't worked out how yet.

Hope that helps.

soop Fri 12-Dec-14 13:00:13

Yes. I used one for Sciatica and it helped enormously. I didn't use it prior to hip replacement surgery. Good luck.

pompa Thu 11-Dec-14 20:55:04

Interesting, I have a TENS machine, never thought to use it on my hip. Must try it.

janerowena Thu 11-Dec-14 20:11:51

Please do.

NotTooOld Thu 11-Dec-14 17:53:52

Thank you for all your comments. I'm going to order one from Amazon and will report back on how I get on.

tanith Thu 11-Dec-14 17:03:08

I did try one when before my replacement surgery and found no relief but I think maybe I was way past any help by the time I tried. Using it earlier may of been different I hope you get some relief from it..

Mishap Thu 11-Dec-14 16:49:25

It lasted for several hours afterwards. It is no cure, but brings some temporary relief.

NotTooOld Thu 11-Dec-14 16:45:16

Did the good effect last long or do you only feel the benefit whilst you're using it?

Mishap Thu 11-Dec-14 10:05:04

Yes - I used it on hip - before operation - I do not think it would be a good idea to use it with metal inside!

I found that the way to make it effective was to turn it up until it was slightly painful - you soon adapt to it - and the pain seemed to act as a counter-irritant which eased the hip pain.

Iam64 Thu 11-Dec-14 08:43:30

Boots sell tense machines for a reasonable price. I was lent mine by the physio department, paid a £10 deposit and the deal was if it worked, I could pay an additional £20 and keep it. If it didn't work for me, I would return the machine and be re-funded my £10

It helped a lot. I've used it for low back pain, shoulder pain and more recently, inflammation in my feet (ouch)

janerowena Wed 10-Dec-14 23:32:18

I'd like to know, too. I do have a very good massage mat, but once you are off it the relief soon wears off, after maybe half an hour.

NotTooOld Wed 10-Dec-14 23:09:06

Has anyone tried using a TENS machine on an arthritic hip? Did it work?Would you recommend a particular make or model?