Gransnet forums

Health

Depression 2

(292 Posts)
Mishap Tue 16-Dec-14 17:01:57

I just do not know what to do. I have got so much worse and just spend my time sitting about sobbing. There is no fleeting moment day or night when I feel well. I just do not know what I can do.

I tried the sertraline but became weepy and agitated and very nauseous, so I had to stop it. The beta blocker is stopping the heart arrhythmia but I fear might be part of the reason for my depression getting so much worse. I have decided to try going back on the dosulepin that I used to take for my migraine - it is an anti-depressant too and I just have to hope it will mix OK with the beta-blocker. My GP is away at the moment and I don't want to talk with his partner as he is so gung-ho - I really feel I could not cope with him. But I cannot do nothing.

I feel completely desperate - this illness is just taking my life away and I can see no end to it. I was having good days and bad, but now it is all bad and I do not know what to do.

If anyone else has been in this situation and has even a glimmer of hope to offer me I would be so grateful.

MiniMouse Tue 16-Dec-14 17:06:19

Oh Mishap I'm so sorry, I wish I could offer more than just words. What a rotten time you're having. flowers

Anne58 Tue 16-Dec-14 17:12:33

Mishap so sorry to hear how low you are feeling. I have just gone back on to dosulepin (higher dose than last time) after a bad month on a new medication that really did not agree with me.

Were you on the same other medication when you were taking it before?

Riverwalk Tue 16-Dec-14 17:19:52

Not sure if you've already tried this but what about asking for a visit from a Community Psychiatric Nurse.

chloe1984 Tue 16-Dec-14 17:37:47

So very sorry you are feeling this way I hope that others with more experience of what you are going through will be able to help you flowers

Mishap Tue 16-Dec-14 17:53:48

phoenix - the beta blockers are new to me - I have never taken the dosulepin with it.

Thank you for your suggestion Riverwalk - I think that there is very little in the way of CPN help in this area. There is very little in the way of anything when it comes to mental health services here. GPs can no longer even refer for counseling or CBT. It is a black hole.

It is such a dreadful illness - it is as though your life is being sucked away. I have never experienced anythng like it and do not know where to turn. My poor OH, who has PD, is exhausted with it and I cannot bear that I am making his life worse.

Crafting Tue 16-Dec-14 18:05:59

Mishap this may be completely inappropriate (forgive me if it is as I don't know your exact circumstances) but have you thought of contacting Healthy Minds. They seem to be able to offer help for people suffering from anxiety and depression and you can self refer. I have no experience of them myself but others may know more.

I really hope you find something that helps you soon as it is the worst feeling ((huggs)) to you and everyone on GN going through difficult times at the moment.

Coolgran65 Tue 16-Dec-14 18:06:36

My heart goes out to you.

janerowena Tue 16-Dec-14 18:26:25

Oh mishap. I keep on hoping that you were on a temporary down because of the operation and time of year. I do keep on hearing that some drugs take quite a while to have any effect, though.

It's a bit extreme I know, but BiL some years ago just went to a psychiatric unit and asked to be admitted. I don't know what he said to them but my sister wasn't allowed to see him for six weeks until he was better, not perfect but definitely better.

Mishap Tue 16-Dec-14 18:41:59

I have just phoned my GP's partner and he was not gung-ho for once. He was in fact very helpful. He has OK'd for me to take the dosulepin and the beta blocker together; and he has also made an appointment for me to see a CPN who comes to the surgery on Monday morning. I was amazed about this I have to say. I cannot imagine why my GP did not suggest this before. I have no idea what the CPN can do, but I have to try everything to try and get better.

I am still in pain with this b*** hip too and I think that this is dragging me down.

I am sorry that I am not a cheerful GNet contributor at the moment, but I am in a very bad place just now.

Kiora Tue 16-Dec-14 18:45:36

flowers oh mishap how horrible. You say you've never felt this way before. So perhaps it is a reactive depression. Some people react this way to an anaesthetic. If your coping with pain, if your normally active person who is now immobile just one of these could cause a depression never mind all three. If it a reactive depression then as the anaesthetic wears out of your system, the pain eases, you get more mobile I would hope your mood will lift bit by bit. I wish I had a magic wand to make you well. I don't know if you remember but this time last year I was in a very bad place. But at least I could force myself out and walk. Unfortunately you don't have that option but what I'm clumsily trying to say is that I can empathise with the depression side of things. It's a horrible black place to be and you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. But the light is there mishap it's just that at this moment you can't see it. Hold on ........tight.

kittylester Tue 16-Dec-14 18:46:51

I had seen some posts from you on other threads Mishap and hoped that meant you were feeling better. I'm so sorry your aren't but full of admiration for you continuing to post. I can offer nothing more than words and a hug and a hope that you get better, in all respects quickly. flowers

janerowena Tue 16-Dec-14 18:49:10

Let's keep our fingers crossed, then. At least we are almost at the Hump of the year, longer lighter days are not too far away, that will hopefully help a little.

Eat lots and lots of grapes. For years and years I craved grapes in the winter, just when they are at their most expensive and not always as nice. I didn't realise I was craving serotonin. Every little helps, I think. St.John's Wort is my personal saviour.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 16-Dec-14 18:54:13

Mishap it is a well known fact that the first week or two on an anti-depressant can bring some side effects. In fact, it is quite usual to feel worse for a little while before the drug fully kicks in. You have to persevere.

How can any drug help you if you keep chopping and changing from one to the other. I would strongly advise taking the sertraline as directed by your doctor. And bear in mind that what you are feeling is side effects, and they will wear off.

And you need to rest. Not enough time has passed since your op. You have to accept this, tuck in in the warm, and wait. Just remember, it will pass. Got that? It will pass.

But do carry out your doctor's wishes.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 16-Dec-14 18:55:09

When do you go for the heart test?

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 16-Dec-14 18:57:35

(#toughlove)

Hopefully the CPN weill be able to help.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 16-Dec-14 18:57:46

will

NfkDumpling Tue 16-Dec-14 18:57:57

Oh Mishap I'm afraid I can only send (((hugs))) and flowers and sympathy.

The only thing I know which may get you help is to tell your doctor that things are so bad and you can't cope (the true bit) and that you're having suicidal thoughts (please God that bit is untrue). Even the useless partner should pay attention then surely.

Mishap Tue 16-Dec-14 19:12:17

The suicidal thoughts are not untrue I am afraid. If it were not for my family and my awareness of what it would do to them, there are moments when it seems the only way out.

The problem with the side effects of the sertraline Jing is that I was just sitting about retching all day - I do not have the wherewithall at present to even begin to cope with that. It would be very hard indeed even if I was well. It also made me very agitated, with uncontrollable sobbing - I cannot do this to my poor OH. It was not within my control and was very frightening.

NfkDumpling Tue 16-Dec-14 19:25:59

Oh, thank goodness you've got a CPN appointment. A pity you have to wait until next Monday but an appointment nonetheless! Well, done! A CPN can open doors and should be able understand what you're having to contend with.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 16-Dec-14 19:29:45

Let's hope the nurse can up with something to help. I wonder if she will be able to prescribe a different antidepressant. There must be something that can help you over this.

KatyK Tue 16-Dec-14 20:13:11

Mishap flowers You are right, it is a dreadful illness. I hope your GP practice can sort you out. I think sometimes we can feel worse at this time of year when we are supposed to be jolly but just feel wretched. Good luck to you.

KatyK Tue 16-Dec-14 20:22:17

Just wondering if you have felt worse since you have been on beta-blockers. When i was on them they made me extremely depressed and I had to stop them. Obviously if your doctor needs you to take them then you must. It's just a thought.

ffinnochio Tue 16-Dec-14 21:21:02

Mishap I am very pleased to hear you have an appointment with a CPN. This avenue of help may be just what is needed. Tell your story from the start - beginning with your husbands illness and your foot problems, the loss of involvement with the community and choir. Write it all down. Every step taken to where you are now, matters.

I am so sorry you feel so desperate. flowers

Mishap Tue 16-Dec-14 21:28:52

Thank you all for your kindness. You must all think I am a total misery - but this is really not me at all.