Gransnet forums

Health

Lower back pain

(51 Posts)
baubles Mon 29-Dec-14 09:10:29

Are there any fellow sufferers out there?

I've had an achey back for many years. Two or three times in the past eight years or so I've had episodes of real pain. This has been brought on by simple, small movements, nothing major and would last a day or two.

I've been in a lot of pain since Christmas eve. Not sure if it was brought on by lots of bobbing up and down getting things out of cupboards, wrapping gifts, lifting things (awkwardly since my wrist is still very weak). I'm not aware of a specific movement having caused it.

I saw an osteopath a couple of years ago who said there didn't appear to be any specific damage so it was basically just bad luck that I had wear an tear.

I've been taking nurofen plus and using heat packs on the advice of a pharmacist but there really isn't any relief from the pain.

Any advice?

JessM Tue 30-Dec-14 08:44:38

What I have realised about back pain is that to prevent repeat attacks of back pain I have to work at strengthening "core" muscles - all the muscles between buttocks and shoulders. It is extremely optimistic to think that all the muscles that allow us to maintain an upright biped mode of life will carry on happily doing so for decades when we lead relatively sedentary lives. Our ancestors did not have chairs and spent a lot of their days walking, climbing and squatting. I have worked out my own exercises based on my knowledge of yoga - Pilates is probably the best thing for those who are starting out.

Agus Tue 30-Dec-14 10:28:07

One thing I did learn from the physio was how to strengthen my core muscles which would give me gip after simple tasks and especially if I walked on hard floors for any length of time eg supermarkets and wooden floor in the kitchen.

Once I am back on form I will look into Pilates Jess what I am doing at the moment has helped a bit but I feel I could be doing more.

HildaW Tue 30-Dec-14 12:34:43

I think that a lot of the problems with back pain is that is sort of creeps up on you and can begin to make you feel quite low (at this time of year that's never good) I find that I can descend quite quickly into feeling a proper 'old crock' when the back pain kicks in and can begin to imagine the worse.
My referral to the GP's physio was a real pick me up and her gentle exercises and knowledgeable yet common sense approach have really helped me. I do feel that a lot of it is confidence based (never a strong point with me). If you can stand tall (metaphorically and for real) somehow you can cope a lot better with this sometimes really miserable condition.

amarmai Tue 30-Dec-14 23:19:46

Yes to all the exercises that have been suggested. They will alleviate pain and strengthen the muscles . Add bending to reach towards the floor, keeping legs slightly bent.

baubles Wed 31-Dec-14 17:43:51

A wee update after my GP appointment today. She agrees with the pharmacist's advice re heat packs and also advises hot baths and walking as much as possible. I've been prescribed Naproxen, co codamol and Omeprazole. The pain has already lessened slightly which is such a relief, I may even sleep tonight. smile

Marelli Wed 31-Dec-14 17:49:52

Good luck with this, baubles! If you're not getting to sleep, it makes all the pain feel so much worse. Is the Omeprazole to ensure your stomach isn't adversely affected by the anti-inflammatories? x

Agus Wed 31-Dec-14 17:50:23

Hope you have a good nights sleep.

I am on omeprazole with co-codamol and have had no ill effects at all, it's just such a relief to get rid of the pain.

HildaW Wed 31-Dec-14 18:17:06

Oh and another vital part of getting the better of a bad back....the very best mattress you can afford...and take some time to research what really works. For me it was a firm sprung one that had a very soft latex top layer...I sink in to a certain degree but am then well supported. It makes a huge difference.

baubles Wed 31-Dec-14 18:27:20

Exactly Marelli & it is good to hear that Agus.

Forgot to say I've also been given the number for the Phsysio service so I'll ring are the holiday and hope they are as helpful as yours Hilda.

loopylou Wed 31-Dec-14 18:58:15

Lots of helpful ideas here, thank you from a fellow sufferer, using hits out of the blue when not doing anything in particular hmm
May I just add a note to any men with unexplained back pain- please go and see your GP as may indicate prostate problems?

hildajenniJ Wed 31-Dec-14 19:26:16

Much lower back pain is due to repetitive strain, from moving the same way repeatedly. I suffered from time to time while nursing. My mother gave me an exercise given to her at the hospital she attended for her back pain.
She told me to lie on the floor and put my legs in the air. Support both hips with your hands and pedal with your feet. You can feel the muscles at the base of your back working.
Whenever I had back ache I did this morning and evening for a few minutes at a time. The back ache was relieved in two or three days.

Agus Wed 31-Dec-14 20:27:05

I will throw one into the mix. Not a strenuous exercise.

Intertwine fingers to make a basket shape, place behind head, stand as straight as possible then let your hands take the weight of your head, hold for 30 seconds.

This one can be done anytime and really helps to straighten posture, the effects are almost immediate.

Cholla21 Wed 06-May-20 20:23:17

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

umar555 Mon 03-Aug-20 20:41:01

Bluebellwould Mon 03-Aug-20 21:33:31

I know this might sound out of left field, but have you been tested for gout? I had lower back pain non stop for 2 years. I had a full blood count done for something else and the nitrates I think it was came back high. I had no toe pain, which is the usual symptom, but within days of starting medication for the gout it went completely. Gout isn’t caused by rich food and drink by the way, it’s a metabolic disorder.

BlueSky Mon 03-Aug-20 22:48:29

Again why how are these ancient threads resurrected? confused

Rufus2 Tue 04-Aug-20 05:16:50

Again why how are these ancient threads resurrected?
BlueSky

Why!? Because some posters don't bother to check the date of the original post!
How!? Good question! I often can't resurrect a thread more than a week old, yet the one in question is nearly 6 years old!
Perhaps we could extract some use from it by asking if there are any survivors from these various "cures" and what they think! grin.
Personal experience tells me that my prostate had nothing to do with it!
Good Health.

mylesroom Wed 05-Aug-20 09:43:33

LevHill Sun 09-Aug-20 16:41:58

ziashani Sat 02-Jan-21 17:35:18

Elegran Sat 02-Jan-21 18:32:01

Someone asked "Why are these threads being revived?" It is because five people who want to sell you things for your back added spam posts - without checking that they were allowed to do so. If you see any more, report them to GNHQ, who will delete the posts and ban the posters.

Elegran Sat 02-Jan-21 18:34:17

Plus, you don't need a special pillow to put between your knees to help your back, any small cushion will do just as well.

Katyj Tue 05-Jan-21 07:28:07

My mum 89 is suffering a lot of lower pack pain at the moment it’s making her feel sick. I phoned the Dr yesterday and he’s prescribed patches containing pain relief and anti sickness tablets. Has anyone tried these ? She can’t taken anti inflammatorys, or co codamol.

Elegran Tue 05-Jan-21 09:12:47

If she can't take anti-inflammatories or co-codamol because of their effect on her stomach, maybe she could use the ibuprofen or the Voltarol gels directly on her lower back? Her GP might prescribe one of those if she asks and he/she thinks it will be OK.

Katyj Tue 05-Jan-21 10:37:09

Thank you Elegran. I’ve suggested this, but she insists they upset her stomach too , even though she takes lansoprazole. ?‍♀️