Gransnet forums

Health

Knees & Hips

(164 Posts)
pompa Mon 02-Mar-15 07:42:09

Seeing consultant in an hour regarding my knee op. It seems to have settled down at last, still getting an unpleasant clunking but others tell me they have the same problem, will ask about it. Also even 6 months on, a small part of the scar still bleeds.
But all in all I'm happy with it.

NotTooOld Wed 04-Mar-15 22:36:49

Have been reading your comments re hip replacement with interest as my op is set for next Tuesday and I'm dreading it. I think what I dread most is feeling worse than I do now. At the moment I can still get around fairly ok, although getting in and out of the car is a struggle, and I don't need a stick BUT post-op will I immediately feel better or worse?
sad

annodomini Wed 04-Mar-15 23:08:04

NotTooOld, I can only speak from my own experience and assure you that one of the first things I noticed was that the pain radiating down to my foot had gone completely. The pain had been so bad pre-op that I'd been using a stick for some months and I couldn't imagine the post-op pain being worse. And it wasn't. However, everyone has a different experience. Good luck on Tuesday and please come back and tell us how things have gone. flowers

annodomini Wed 04-Mar-15 23:12:55

PS That was nearly ten years ago and the hip is still working painlessly.

Galen Wed 04-Mar-15 23:58:45

One of mine is 25 years old, the other isles than te

ginny Thu 05-Mar-15 08:54:18

NotTooOld Of course everyone reacts and recovers at a different pace. Most of these very common operations go smoothly and the results are very good.

I have had both my knees replaced in the last 9 months and just the fact that the constant pain has gone is life changing in itself.

There will be some pain and discomfort but the most important thing is to make sure you do all the exercises that the physio's give you.

I hope your op' goes well and wish you a speedy recovery.

Ariadne Thu 05-Mar-15 09:29:23

NotTooOld it reall, really is true about the pain! After the operation (hip six weeks ago, knee last April) you will feel discomfort, and maybe some controllable pain, but it is nothing like the pain you are feeling now. You will get very tired as your body recovers. Just listen to what your body needs.

Read what I said earlier about my recent exploits - walking to the cinema the other day I was remembering the pain I was suffering the last time I did it.

Good luck - let us know how you get on.

NotTooOld Thu 05-Mar-15 09:34:19

Thank you all. Your reassurance is invaluable. I will certainly let you know how i get on.

NotTooOld Fri 06-Mar-15 21:54:45

Yesterday I had my pre-admission appointment - my hip op is on Tuesday. I had earlier been told by the consultant that even with only an epidural and a sedative I would know nothing about the op until it was all over, so I was appalled when the senior nurse who did my bloods and other tests told me I would know what was going on the whole time. When I queried this she said I would be 'in a light sleep' but would be aware of what was going on. Who is right? I don't want to have a general anaesthetic as everyone tells me the epidural/sedative option enables the quickest recovery, but the thought of lying there for 90 mins watching my hip being replaced scares the living daylights out of me. Has anyone any experience of this? What is it actually like? Please help! At the moment I feel like cancelling the whole thing.......[shocked]

Mishap Fri 06-Mar-15 22:09:04

I had mine with spinal plus sedative in September - I was aware of nothing at all of what was going on during the operation and can remember nothing. I don't even remember being given the sedative - last I remember was them tatting about putting the spinal in, which, by the way, did not hurt. I do not think you should worry - this is the standard way of doing the op now and is much the safest option.

NotTooOld Fri 06-Mar-15 22:24:37

Thanks, Mishap. I'm driving my poor DH mad with constant 'what ifs?' I really must 'woman up'.

ginny Fri 06-Mar-15 22:34:19

I too had an spinal with sedative. You certainly will not be able to see or feel what is happening . I slept though my two op's. No after effects from the aesthetic. Just a gradually regaining of feeling. Certainly fr better than the horrible fuzzy sick feeling I have had with general aesthetic.

NotTooOld Fri 06-Mar-15 22:44:44

Thanks, Ginny. That's good to know. I'm just becoming a terrible worrier as I get older.

ginny Fri 06-Mar-15 22:50:20

Just think of how good it will be to get rid of the constant pain. Take the opportunity to let someone take care of you for a while after your op'.

annodomini Fri 06-Mar-15 22:52:56

The sedative was quite adequate to keep me from knowing what was going on, so don't worry about it, NotTooOld. In my experience it beats a general anaesthetic hands down.

NotTooOld Fri 06-Mar-15 23:01:13

Thanks, anno, that is very reassuring. Ginny, I'm lucky as DH will look after me. He's already begun training by emptying the dishwasher this morning when he remembered that post-op I will not be able to bend down. He doesn't know where the cereal bowls live yet but he's a fast learner.

How long before you could manage the stairs fairly well? I don't want to sleep downstairs if I can help it.

Mishap Sat 07-Mar-15 08:58:09

You will not be allowed home until you can manage the stairs. The physios use this as a test of when you are ready to go. It is slow, but you will be able to do it. You very quickly develop a system whereby you only come down in the morning and back up in the evening. I have a shoulder bag and various bits that I take downstairs for the day and back up later.

annodomini Sat 07-Mar-15 09:35:01

Nice for those who have two loos. I only have one - upstairs. Having said that, the use of the stairs was excellent physio for me after the op! The OTs at the hospital made sure that I was safe getting in and out of the bath, using a bath seat; and making a brew in the kitchen. They also arranged for the local Social Services OTs to come along and decide what extra equipment I needed to see me through the recovery period.

CelticRose Sat 07-Mar-15 17:18:05

NotTooOld. It is natural to worry. But do trust what former posts say. I had a really really focussed surgeon - nurses said he was a man of few words. But I was able to make him smile at least. Won`t tell you all daft things I said or did. But one of them when told about spinal, I asked if I would be blindfold and have earplugs. Duh! I also said to him when he came to mark my leg just before op, "good luck". To which he quickly retorted, "luck doesn't come into it". Hey ho. Spinal causes less blood loss.

My problem was not slowing down after op 3 weeks ago. I was probably so full of painkillers, and pain free on release after years of being told by gp that pains were natural and age related, I felt as though I could run a marathon. And did too much. I weaned myself off painkillers within days of being home so that I knew when I was pulling on the wound.

Take care of yourself. Slow right down. If something doesn't feel right - don`t do it. Ask physio for upper body and lower back exercises also for when you leave. I didn't do any of the aforementioned and am learning thro my mistakes. Not sure when I can sit properly again, but will ask physio at next appointment.

Have you got high seat chair? I thought my correct height dining chair would. Now looking on Amazon for inexpensive proper ortho chair. Any suggestions from GNetters gratefully accepted.

Will be thinking of you, NTO. All I can remember is aneasthetist asking if he was near the centre. I asked him centre of what? And that was it until recovery where I was talking non stop and asking daft questins.

NotTooOld Sun 08-Mar-15 17:21:04

CelticRose, you made me laugh! The furniture people are coming tomorrow to raise up the chair and the loos. Isn't that a fantastic service? Luckily for me, anno, I also have a downstairs loo so will only need to face the stairs twice a day. I had to get poor DH to hoover under the sofa just now in case the winter dust was still there (it was, along with a dead spider).

Prior to cleaning under the sofa, DH had already exhausted himself by pulling out the bed and hoovering up the -filth- dust. Then we turned the mattress and changed the bed linen. All of this is because we have to change sides due to it being my right hip. I don't mind because now it is me next to the en-suite and not DH. So much better for when you have to pay a visit in the night.

Last time I had an op - when I broke my arm badly - I remember telling the anaesthetist and his assistant what beautiful teeth they had and how I wished I had some like theirs. After that I remember nothing but that was a general anaesthetic, not a spinal. I also remember earlier breaking down in tears and telling them I was worried I might wake up during the op and not be able to tell anyone. How they laughed. Ha, ha! After that they were very reassuring.

I read all the blurb from the hospital over lunch so I think I probably know as much as I need to know about the op. I am still scared but less so having read all your kind messages on here. I will let you know how I get on.

Charleygirl Sun 08-Mar-15 17:31:48

NotTooOld- please do not forget that the anaesthetist does not abandon you and is beside you, taking your observations and ready to top up analgesia or whatever is required. You will be fine, try not to panic, good luck.

NotTooOld Sun 08-Mar-15 18:38:05

Thank you, Charleygirl. (brave smile)!

Ariadne Sun 08-Mar-15 22:09:10

One more day Togo, NotSoOld! It will be OK!

I too had an epidural and sedative, was knocked out completely and came round comfortably when it was all over.

I did the stairs with the physios in hospital on day 3 (discharge day) with no problem, as I did after the knee replacement. It is hard but totally do-able, then you can go home! And, because I needed an afternoon nap and couldn't get off the settee (too low) I had to go up to bed. And did.

I surprised myself at what I could do, and how quickly I could do it. I see the consultant tomorrow for my discharge appointment. Six weeks done!!

Oh, and we did stock up with a week's worth of M&S meals, given Theseus' inability to cope with cooking anything but toast....

NotTooOld Mon 09-Mar-15 12:42:27

Hi, Ariadne! Glad to hear you are doing so well. The M and S meals do sound a good idea. DH is very willing but only really excels at oven chips so I might get him to look into that.

The furniture man came this morning. He installed two loo thingies and has raised up the sofa to18", the prescribed height for me. Our chairs are no good because they rock and swivel.

My bag is packed and I sort of wish I was going in this afternoon instead of 0730 tomorrow to get it over with. Never mind, granddaughter is coming round after school and she will cheer us up and make the time pass quickly.

Toodle pip.

loopylou Mon 09-Mar-15 12:44:05

Good luck and best wishes for tomorrow NotTooOld x

pompa Mon 09-Mar-15 13:01:04

NTO, I had my knee done under an epidural, brilliant !.
I was fully awake, chatting to the anesthetist most of he time, I was aware that stuff was happening somewhere near my knee, but I was totally unaware of what they were doing, no sensation whatsoever. You can take your music player with you and listen to your favorite tunes, I did.

They did say that should I need it they would give me additional anesthesia, but I did not need it.
There will be a nurse/anesthetist with you all through.

Do not worry, you will be having a cup of tea straight afterwards.
I have had both epidural and general anesthetic, epidural every time for me, no after effects.