Gransnet forums

Health

Knees & Hips

(163 Posts)
pompa Mon 02-Mar-15 07:42:09

Seeing consultant in an hour regarding my knee op. It seems to have settled down at last, still getting an unpleasant clunking but others tell me they have the same problem, will ask about it. Also even 6 months on, a small part of the scar still bleeds.
But all in all I'm happy with it.

Jane10 Mon 02-Mar-15 07:48:52

Hope the appointment goes well. If only it wasn't so inappropriate I'd say "clunk click every trip"! Yet another reminder of that dreadful man. Anyway -good luck pompa

Mishap Mon 02-Mar-15 09:08:07

Good luck with the appointment. Did your hip pain get sorted?

Ariadne Mon 02-Mar-15 09:21:20

Good luck, pompa! I am now exactly six weeks on from the hip op - seeing the consultant next Monday. All is very, very good - no stick a lot of the time!

The right knee was replaced last April, and still tweaks and twinges a bit, but then, it has had to do a lot of compensating for the hip (other side) I suppose. It is all working well now.

I am now trying to remember what "normal" is like! I can see perfectly (had cataracts done too, if you remember) walk without pain, have even lost a bit of weight. smile

Tell us how you got on.

Jane10 Mon 02-Mar-15 11:05:48

Wow Ariadne! What a cheering post. Gives us all hope! Good on you (as the Aussies say)

Ariadne Mon 02-Mar-15 11:29:59

Thank you! Still can't quite believe it...

pompa Mon 02-Mar-15 12:08:19

All done, discharged.
For the first time in ages I do NOT have any medical appointments outstanding.
Hip has improved greatly, looks like it was bursitis.

loopylou Mon 02-Mar-15 12:18:02

Lovely to hear Ariadne and pompa
So glad things have gone well x

ginny Mon 02-Mar-15 12:43:15

Pleased for you Pompa

I have been signed off by the physio' this morning as far as my knees go. 9 months and 4 months on from the op's. Just need to get rid of Plantar Facillitis (sp?) in right foot and pulled muscle in left calf and I'll be fine.

Mishap Mon 02-Mar-15 13:39:18

Good news from pompa and ariande; and it sounds as though you are doing well too ginny.

I am still struggling here with pain in my groin and down my leg, resulting in a numb foot. I am told that there is inflammation that is irritating a nerve and not to do the physio exercises as this could exacerbate it, but just to walk as much as possible. Oh - and take anti-inflammatories, which result in acute heartburn!

They have virtually signed me off and told me to get back in a month if it is still a problem, which is slightly strange advice as they have said that it could take a year to resolve! I am in more pain now than I was before the surgery - the pain then was confined to movement, and my hip kept locking in place. Now the pain is constant, but the hip does not lock. I will be thankful for small mercies!

pompa Mon 02-Mar-15 17:21:39

The Physio signed me off some while ago, she could not think up any new tortures for me.

loopylou Mon 02-Mar-15 17:37:40

grin pompa

Mishap Mon 02-Mar-15 18:01:52

Well, the tortures she thought up for me I did diligently and conscientiously and that is how the pain got so much worse and became constant. Lots of these exercises are basically repetitive abnormal actions and as such carry the risk of causing pain and injury to other bits! - this is certainly true of both my knees and my other unoperated hip - all of which were fine till I did the physio! Sigh.

Ariadne Tue 03-Mar-15 09:53:54

I have my discharge appointment next Monday, then, I hope, I too am done for a while, pompa'

I am also enjoying not taking codeine, paracetamol, Naproxyn etc - my body feels so much better. I remember the relief when I came off Tamoxifen - that was awful.

Mishap I am so sorry to hear of your pain - is there nothing the medics can do? Is it associated with the injury to your foot in any way? I remember that was pretty bad. flowers

Mishap Tue 03-Mar-15 11:29:03

Thanks ariadne - I think it is just a matter of time. The joint is sound from the x-ray evidence; it is just inflammation of the surrounding tissues and nerve irritation. I am told that it will eventually go away and that I need to walk as much as possible - which of course I do. I have a problem with most painkillers and have to choose between being able to live fairly normally or being sick, having heartburn, being too dozy to function. I choose to live! - and I just take paracetamol.

I do find it frustrating, as I have several foot problems - broken foot is on the opposite side to the hip op and is painful and causes me to limp as the joints have collapsed; and I seem to have a metatarsal problem with my other foot that is jolly painful to walk on. So I am a bit lame - in every sense of the word!

But I have to plough on in the hope that it will all resolve in its own time.

I try to be pleased for all my friends who have recovered from their hip ops in no time at all!!

CelticRose Tue 03-Mar-15 12:26:16

Just 18 days post op from THR. My DS is 5 months post op from knee key hole surgery because of accident at work. He has pins and plates. I am in better shape! I have been told that knee ops are much worse than hip ops. Now the dog has to go to vet with bad knee caused from chasing rabbits. Everything certainly does come in threes. Good luck to all. Keep positive. flowers [cupcakes] brew

petallus Tue 03-Mar-15 15:05:11

Pleased to hear the various bits of good news. Mishap sorry you are still suffering after all this time.

Two and a half months after my hip replacement and I am told I am doing very well.

However saw a rheumatologist last week because of swollen painful fingers. Seems I now have rheumatoid arthritis. I am waiting for Xray and blood results before commencing treatment which I am told can be very effective.

Bit of a bummer though!

Mishap Tue 03-Mar-15 15:19:19

This getting old lark has very little to recommend it!

Galen Tue 03-Mar-15 15:49:00

I feel that if I'd have known what getting old was like when I was born, I wouldn't have been hmm

pompa Tue 03-Mar-15 16:03:04

I have un-subscribed from getting old, still waiting to hear back.

Mishap Tue 03-Mar-15 16:08:50

Un-subscribing in my experience generally fails. So you will just have to stick with it pompa.

petallus Tue 03-Mar-15 16:25:22

And it can only get worse! grin

Charleygirl Tue 03-Mar-15 17:38:10

My brain feels like 29 but it obviously has not communicated with my joints recently.

Very sorry to hear that you have RA petallus- not what you wanted to hear.

petallus Tue 03-Mar-15 22:20:01

Thanks Charleygirl. I'm taking it day by day and trying to stay positive smile

TriciaF Wed 04-Mar-15 14:17:06

Mishap - I had my hip op. 8 years ago but got the same advice about walking regularly. To strengthen the muscles around the damaged joint(s), also the psychological beneficial effects.
I realise it's harder for you if you have foot problems too. Has anyone suggested getting specially fitting boots for walking? I have some insoles which were designed to correct an imbalance of posture.