Gransnet forums

Health

Advice on hospital stay, please

(43 Posts)
newist Wed 25-Mar-15 17:05:34

Can any of you (very knowledgeable) Gnetters advise and hopefully reassure me? I have just been diagnosed with a kind of skin cancer.
The local doctors have had a go at it, but now it has to be removed.
What I would feel much better knowing is..... I will have anesthetic but wont be completely out, because I have a heart condition and they think this is safer, I would much rather be sound asleep totally unaware of whats happening, so how spaced out will I be? they did say I can have music.
I also would like to know, because its a while since I have been in hospital, what do I take for a stay, They cannot tell me exactly how long I will be in for, which is dependent on recovery time. Being in a distant place I will have to take every thing with me on the plane, with not much chance of getting stuff if I forget anything

Grannyknot Wed 25-Mar-15 17:13:01

Hi newist sorry to hear this! All I can tell you re the sedation, is that I can only assume it is similar to e.g. what they use for doing investigations like gastroscopy or colonoscopy and when I've had that I just remember warm fuzzy feeling and nothing else! It's as if your memory is wiped out.

Re taking what you need for a stay in hospital, I have no idea, but no doubt someone will be along soon to advise you. Good luck!

Grannyknot Wed 25-Mar-15 17:13:42

I should add "your memory of the incident or the procedure" - not permanently!

newist Wed 25-Mar-15 17:25:19

Thanks Grannyknot that's made me feel better already

loopylou Wed 25-Mar-15 17:28:21

You'll be fine, utterly oblivious to anything going on around you.
I had my seriously disorganised ankle manipulated under sedation and knew absolutely nothing about what went on! I would add too that I'm an absolute wimp.......

grannyactivist Wed 25-Mar-15 17:34:04

What you should take if going into hospital in the UK is:
*Your glasses
*Mobile phone
*Any medication you're on (both prescribed and over the counter)
*Lip salve, tissues, hand wipes, moisturiser
*Toiletries, nightclothes, dressing gown and slippers
*Light clothing to get dressed in if you're going to be in for a few days
*Cordial, fruit, or light snacks if you usually eat between meals
*Enough money or debit card to pay for TV (expensive)
*Something to pass the time - tablet, puzzle book, novel, game, magazine
*Usual advice is not to take in valuables or lots of money, although you will have a bedside locker and staff will sometimes agree to keep things safe for you

My guess is that, from what you've said, you will likely only be in for one or two nights so don't worry if you forget something. There is usually a little shop on site that sells everything obvious that you might need.

NotTooOld Wed 25-Mar-15 17:40:35

I had sedation plus a spinal injection for a hip op very recently and I knew absolutely nothing until I woke up in recovery, so I shouldn't worry about that. Tell the anaesthetist when s/he comes to talk to you before the op (as s/he will) that you want to be 'out of 'it'. I was also told I could have music if I wanted it but I wouldn't have heard it anyway!

What you need to take with you rather depends on how long your visit is. You will be wearing the hospital gown for the early stages but after the op you will need two or more nighties plus something to put round your shoulders if you are a chilly person. I bought two long t-shirt type nighties in Sainsbury and didn't need anything else as it was warm on the ward. Take something to read and maybe a puzzle book (and pen) if you like that sort of thing also moisturiser, toothbrush and toothpaste, soap and a face flannel. I took some of that special hand cleanser and kept using it. Don't forget your mobile phone and some knickers to wear under your nightie if you are shy!

Good luck, newist. It won't be as bad as you think.

newist Wed 25-Mar-15 17:51:39

It never crossed my mind about paying for TV , living here I am out of touch, will I have to take (my stuck) wedding ring off? Thanks everyone flowers

loopylou Wed 25-Mar-15 17:55:01

No, they'll put tape over your wedding ring.
Face/hand wipes are very useful as Ga suggested, as are fruit sweets for a dry mouth.

Ana Wed 25-Mar-15 17:57:09

Don't forget to take the charger for your mobile phone as well, if it's likely to run down while you're in hospital! They let you plug it in by your bed.

You won't have to take your ring off, although they may put tape round your finger.

loopylou Wed 25-Mar-15 18:00:17

Good Luck newist!

rosequartz Wed 25-Mar-15 18:05:26

All of the above, plus I would add to the list some toilet wipes to wipe the toilet seat before you use it (and anywhere else eg the handle of the flush, the door handle etc.
Some flip flops could be useful to use in the shower (the shower mat looked a bit suspect when I was in our local hospital).

Mishap Wed 25-Mar-15 18:06:07

Good luck - and do not worry about the sedation - you will know nothing and you will remember nothing.

Ana Wed 25-Mar-15 18:08:13

You're right, rosequartz, I couldn't get the hang of the shower during a hospital stay and managed to soak my slippers thoroughly before I'd had a chance to take them off! grin

JessM Wed 25-Mar-15 18:10:24

iron rations in case you get hungry. Food is not ample in hospital. e.g a nice packet of shortbread. But lots of them have cafes or shops you can walk to once you are mobile. Hope it all goes well and you can escape quickly. But I guess they will want to be happy for you to fly, so may not be quite such a quick turn around as usual.

Soutra Wed 25-Mar-15 18:10:34

Can't add much except maybe nice hand crem (to counteract "hospital smell") and maybe black out eye mask and ear plugs to block out other people's snoring and the permanent (although usually) dim light.
Hope it all goes smoothly and you are soon back with your ain folk!flowers

newist Wed 25-Mar-15 18:10:37

You really cannot imagine how much better you have all made me feel, I got back from Glasgow earlier today, very tired with legs and feet hurting from quickly having to get about, a bit upset to be told I have cancer on my face caused by sun damage which more than likely happened when I was a child .
I don't really have anyone I can ask these questions from, so thank you so much you lovely ladies for all your help,

ninathenana Wed 25-Mar-15 18:15:06

Good luck newist

I too can vouch for not remembering anything after being sedated for a procedure.
One thing not mentioned above is a hand towel and a larger one if you are going to shower. If you have false nails they will need removing or any varnish you have used.

Coolgran65 Wed 25-Mar-15 18:19:06

What about ear phones so you can watch your own choice of tv programs on your tablet downloaded from iplayer. Download them before you go. Save cost of renting hospital tv ...in case you were considering renting.
Good luck.
It will be easier than you think.

Charleygirl Wed 25-Mar-15 18:21:44

Also extra cash in case you need to get a mini cab ? home or to a train station when discharged after the procedure.

You will be lucky if you manage to warm the bed before you are discharged!

vegasmags Wed 25-Mar-15 18:28:04

Poor you newist - sorry to hear you've got to go through this. I'm guessing that, like me, you live alone and if that is the case don't forget your front door key.

rosequartz Wed 25-Mar-15 18:43:43

newist all the best and I am sure they will look after you well.
ana there was a sort of 'grid' style shower mat in the shower which looked a bit suspect so I vowed to take flipflops or net beach shoes in with me next time (I hope there won't be a next time but that is optimistic).

A very good point about the key vegas!

annodomini Wed 25-Mar-15 19:00:44

That's bad luck, newist. How soon do you have to go to the hospital? I had a malignant melanoma ten years ago - on the nape of my neck. It was excised in the Christie Hospital dermatology outpatients under a very successful local anaesthetic. Stitches were so neat an tiny that our district nurse had trouble getting them out. Good luck to you. I'm sure you will have the very best of treatment in Glasgow. I hope you have someone to go with you and pick you up.

Falconbird Wed 25-Mar-15 19:04:48

I had a skin cancer removed from my forehead some years ago. I was able to go in as a day patient because I lived near the hospital.

My GP had done the same as yours and tried to remove it, so some it was gone. I also had one removed from my leg.

I had a local anesthetic and sat in a sort of dentists chair. It was similar to a long dental treatment. In fact the surgeon (they are usually dermatologists) asked me if I was used to extensive dental work.

I didn't feel a thing and remember talking about the quickest route to a seaside town. I had a huge head bandage on and a huge leg bandage afterwards which looked very dramatic, but I had no pain whatsoever either during the procedure or afterwards.

Luckily I haven't had any more, but the damage was caused by being very sunburned when I was a child.

You will feel great once it's gone and it will be pleasant to have some food brought round for you and to be able to chill out afterwards.

Yes - don't forget your phone charger and make sure you have lots of credit.

As other Grans have said, most hospitals have shops now and Coffee outlets.

Don't worry. The scar on my forehead is next to invisible now, also the one on my leg.

MiniMouse Wed 25-Mar-15 19:21:36

Lavendar essential oil is lovely for disguising hospital smells - a couple of drops on your pillow or a tissue! Hope it all goes well for you.