Gransnet forums

Health

Depression again

(31 Posts)
Mishap Sun 12-Apr-15 10:07:43

Well - here it is again - my old friend back to haunt me. I have done pretty well for several weeks, and then I got bronchitis and I cannot seem to shake it off - it has really brought me down. I have been coughing for about 4 weeks; and the last 2 days I have been low and weepy again, following a migraine on Thursday night.

I do everything I can to fight it - I get up and shower and go for walks in a sort of fog; when what I really want to do is be asleep.

It seems that it is not going to leave me be, and any small thing that reduces my strength gives it the chance to get back in again. Not a good day today.

Liz46 Sun 12-Apr-15 10:21:26

Mishap, I'm so sorry to hear that you feel so bad. I wonder, if you feel like sleeping, perhaps you should. If you are trying to recover from bronchitis, maybe you shouldn't push yourself too much.

I have had bronchitis and it is not much fun. I am normally unable to sleep during the day but when I had pneumonia a few years ago, I went to bed after lunch every day and slept all afternoon.

Lona Sun 12-Apr-15 10:46:14

I agree with Liz, sleep is a great healer. It's not always the best thing to push yourself too hard.
Rest a little more and be extra kind to yourself flowers

annsixty Sun 12-Apr-15 11:11:44

Just be good to yourself Mishap If sleep is what you need then sleep is what you must have. Don't push yourself too hard, that could be counterproductive. Worrying about your DD isn't going to help,but we can't stop you doing that!!

annsixty Sun 12-Apr-15 11:13:52

Sorry Lona I seem to have replicated your adviceblush

pompa Sun 12-Apr-15 11:23:50

Mishap, sorry to hear that you have hit a low again. Just remember, you came out of it before, you will again. Get out in the fresh air and sun, does a world of good.
Did you watch the program about your medicine cabinet ?. Best treatment for chesty cough was hot honey/lemon.

durhamjen Sun 12-Apr-15 11:25:54

I usually add whiskey to that, pompa.

rosequartz Sun 12-Apr-15 11:55:58

DD recommended adding a good teaspoon of cinnamon if you like it, or at least a good sprinkle, it is supposed to be good for chesty coughs.
The flippin' cough/cold this year is really lingering isn't it.

If your body tells you to sleep then have a nap as long as you can sleep at night if you do.
And I would agree, fresh air and sunshine for vitamin D, it is supposed to get warmer this week.
Hope it lifts soon, Mishap flowers

Stansgran Sun 12-Apr-15 12:00:14

Dozing in a comfy garden chair combines both lots of advice. You get the rest and the Vitamin D. Just make sure someone stands over you waving a fan and brings you a cup of tea when you wake.

tanith Sun 12-Apr-15 12:12:05

I second all that has been said , it can't be easy when you are always looking over your shoulder to see if its sneaking up on you ..smile flowerscupcakebrew

Mishap Sun 12-Apr-15 12:20:54

Thank you all.

Tanith - you have certainly hit the the nail on the head there. I get better and start to feel a bit more confident that I have beaten it - and then something triggers it off again. It seems that I can stay OK, but that it is a precarious wellness that can be completely wrecked by some input like a virus that tips it over the edge. It feels very cruel; and I am trying everything I can to beat it, but it is lurking and waiting to pounce. What a b****r this illness really is.

Mishap Sun 12-Apr-15 12:22:06

I do not think I will try the dozing in a garden chair, appealing though it sounds, as we have a sunny day accompanied by a veritable gale - it sounds as though the conservatory is going to collapse around me!

merlotgran Sun 12-Apr-15 12:30:27

Tree pollen and windy weather doesn't help anyone with a persistent cough at this time of the year.

Take care, Mishap. Hope you soon feel better.

Eloethan Sun 12-Apr-15 12:36:54

Mishap Sorry to hear you are feeling so down. No doubt it hasn't been helped by having a nasty bout of bronchitis. Constant coughing is exhausting and perhaps you now really need the extra sleep.

I hope you soon feel better.

angiebaby Mon 27-Apr-15 20:32:30

DEPRESSION........hello girls,,,i have posted before......usually about my children cutting me out of their lives really,,,well i have seen one of the kids twice in 4 months and they only live 5 mins away,.......i dont see my grandkids as much as i like, i have never had them to take out for the afternoon on my own, never saw them at christmas or easter,,,,,,,,,,so now my depression seems to be creeping back,,,,im always crying for no reason,,,i feel worthless, everyday is a struggle to get out of bed, what for,,,im retired and i have been to the doctors he put me on tabs that made me feel worse,,,i try to keep busy,,,i have done the breathing and all of that jazz,,,,,,its not working, i have booked 2 holidays but i dont feel like going now,,,i just want to stay in bed all day and hide away,,,,,,,,,i think whats the point of it all,,,,,,,i have no problems other than not feeling loved, i wish the crying would stop,i wonder if getting a puppy would help at least it would need me.......i dont know what to do,,,,,,,,i do miss the relation ship with my family, my husband doesnt seem to get involved he just keeps quiet,,,i feel so alone,,,,,...i want to run away from myself.....advice please,

Mishap Mon 27-Apr-15 21:43:05

angie - sometimes the tablets make you feel worse temporarily and you have to stick with it in order to get the benefit. I am in exactly that situation at present as well and I am having to grit my teeth and deal with it - so I know how hard it is. But I am lucky to have family around who are supporting me through this, and I know that at present you do not have the support you want. I can see how very hard this must be for you, and you haven my sympathy. Sometimes husbands do not know how to deal with this sort of thing and feel a bit frightened and powerless.

I really do think that you should go back to your GP and tell him how bad you are feeling, and discuss your tablets - he may suggest a change if he/she knows they are making you not feel so good. The thing is not to give up on them without talking to your doctor.

Hang on in there. flowers

Jomarie Mon 27-Apr-15 23:19:32

Angiebaby - read Mishap's post again - and do what she suggests please. flowers

Coolgran65 Tue 28-Apr-15 00:36:18

angiebaby please go back to your Dr. Meds can take about three weeks before you feel any benefit. I speak from experience.

Mishap So sorry to hear the black cloud has found you. It's hard always to be strong. ... but I think you are strong because I've seen it in your very considered and level headed advices to others. But sometimes it's ok just to let others be supportive sunshine

Falconbird Tue 28-Apr-15 07:46:26

Mishap - going through similar here. There are good days and then the bad ones come. My doc says to try and stay focused on the good days - easier said than done I know.

angiebaby - wanting to run away is a classic symptom of depression isn't it. The times I've planned to pack a bag and leg it are countless. The only thing that has stopped me is the agoraphobia which has a strange sort of irony.

I've found the thing that helps a lot - not for everyone is TV. Getting absorbed in a programme focuses the mind, also crochet, the endless counting of stitches is like a mantra and sometimes stops the panic attacks.

I have a very kind GP who listens which is lucky but I tried two others before I found this one.

I am also fed up with an endless sniffy cold virus thing that won't go away.

flowers

soontobe Tue 28-Apr-15 07:55:20

Do you know that you are loved really, by some people?

Do your family know that you are on tablets for depression?

soontobe Tue 28-Apr-15 07:56:10

[questions to angie]

Grannybug Tue 28-Apr-15 08:32:02

Hello Mishap I'm sorry that you are plagued by depression and can see that previous posters have offered positive and kind advice. I just wanted to say my thoughts are with you during this difficult time and I hope you will soon see some improvement in both your physical and mental health. flowers

Mishap Tue 28-Apr-15 09:22:36

I am very grateful for the kind supportive posts - it really does help.

It is a very frustrating illness - 10 days ago I was conducting a rehearsal for 150 singers, then spent a lovely family day with everyone - and I was completely fine and beginning to feel I had made it. But a few days later it strikes again - hence the increase in treatment, which is a challenge in itself. Today I will be looking after my DGD all day, as my DD is overdue with her baby and is flat out exhausted. It will take every ounce of determination to do this job today.

But gritting the teeth and carrying on is the only way forward that I can see.

How are things for you today angie? - have you managed to make an appointment with your doctor?

KatyK Tue 28-Apr-15 09:58:20

So many people suffering/have suffered from this terrible illness, including me. it's a horrible feeling having to make yourself get out of bed each day and live your life as best you can. I hope you can find a way through this angie and Mishap, enjoy your day, you can definitely do it flowers

daffydil Tue 28-Apr-15 10:55:51

I can only endorse what Katy has said. I have had depression and there were times when I found it harder to cope with than the cancer I had had several years before. At least with cancer I felt abl to function reasonably well Depression seems to suck the life out of you. Mishap you are doing extremely well and we are all rooting for you. (Hugs)