Gransnet forums

Health

Palpitations

(32 Posts)
flakesofjam Tue 15-Mar-16 15:10:48

I've had heart palpitations on and off for almost a year. Have had 24 hr monitor which caught a long spell of them (only get them every 3 -4 wks) Doc currently deciding what action to take but temporarily at least am on daily aspirin to stop risk of the heart 'throwing off a clot' as she put it ! She also mentioned 'shocking the heart' to get it into a natural rhythm.
I'm convinced a lot of it is anxiety although sometimes a glass of wine seems to start it off. Does anyone else have any experience of treatment for this ?

flakesofjam Thu 17-Mar-16 12:56:50

Thanks all. Just rang surgery as had heard nothing. Apparently a letter has gone off today & I will shortly get an invitation to book an appointment with a cardiologist. After reading all your comments I'm glad to be seeing one as would rather get to the bottom of things than just take medication.
Off to stay with my sister for a couple days, I guess I will have to forego our usual evening Prosecco !

dorsetwoman Thu 17-Mar-16 13:23:06

Hi - I've just come back from holiday with the same problem, (AF) and the isurers do want to know all the details - then they add a considerable sum to cover any extra risk - I had to pay an extra £108 for 3 weeks. I doubt if they would refuse cover unless you are over 75 - they just charge you more.

Luckygirl Thu 17-Mar-16 13:37:51

My description of AF is that it is like a bag of wriggling worms!

I have also had SVT and this can be cured by pretending you are giving birth to a 12 pound baby - preferably while sitting on the loo just in case!

Polyester Thu 17-Mar-16 15:12:33

Mine started with continual atrial flutter, which is why they did the shock treatment. Later I was diagnosed with bouts of atrial fibrillation. As it is the biggest cause of strokes I'd advise anyone with regular bouts of palpitations to take it very seriously and get it checked out. Yes, it can be tricky catching it on a 24 hour heart monitor, but they will also do 48hour and 7 day monitors. Don't feel you are wasting anyone's time. A friend ended up being diagnosed with AF after a stroke. He was lucky and got his speech and movement back after a few years, but a stroke can be devastating.

Seillean Thu 17-Mar-16 20:26:04

flakesofjam Glad to hear you've found out today what's happening and that you'll be seeing a cardiologist. My experience taught me that sometimes you need to chase things up otherwise they can slip through the net.

Re travel insurance I used Good to Go for a reasonable premium. Also at one stage I excluded the risk from the policy with another company to reduce the premium.

Re modern anticoagulants. They are much more convenient but I was put off switching from Warfarin because at the moment there is no easy way to reverse their effect in the event of an accident or emergency surgery. With Warfarin vitamin K is used. Also much less is known about their long term use.

travelsafar Sat 14-Oct-17 22:13:51

I have had a really stressful week, my car is playing up after only four months so engaged in a fight with the garage over the cost of the investigations, fell out with my son and daughter inlaw and banned from seeing grand daughter, then I had a bleed behind my right eye so am now under the local eye clinic for investigations and dealing with a constant 'snowstorm'in front of my eye which is affecting my vision, to day i have felt like my heart is racing ten to the dozen which is making me feel so anxious.I know its probably due to all the stress of this week but it is scaring me. Anyone else had this happen to them due to anxiety???