Gransnet forums

Health

Heart stopping moments before sleep.

(57 Posts)
naughtynanny Tue 19-Apr-16 12:14:59

Does anyone else experience this, it is terrifying, any advice?
I go to bed quite relaxed and read for about 30 minutes. But as I drift off to sleep, all of a sudden I get a really scary feeling that my heart is stopping and I'm dying! It jolts me wide awake and I have to sit up and gasp for breath. This happens 3 or 4 times every night. It makes no difference what side I lay on, or what food I've eaten. Help!

ALKALK Fri 01-Apr-22 14:17:26

As I’m dozing off I get this sudden fright as if my heart has stopped and it’s my last breathe and I’m about to die! It happens in a second and get such a fright. It’s been going on now for a year so I know I’m not during but the feeling is exactly as if you are about to die or when someone jumps out from behind a door and scares you. That fright you get!
It’s so strange and confusing. It’s a sudden fright.
I have no idea what it is or how it started but I’m glad I’m not the only one it happens to!
It never happens through the day, only when I get into bed to go to sleep.
After one or two of these “frights”’ ( not muscle twitches) I do end up falling asleep eventually and wake up normally without any pain or issues.
I have noticed also recently that the soles of my feet get a tingle or itchy pins and needles as well. They go away as well.

Mattsmum2 Thu 27-May-21 20:53:56

I was told by my daughter when she was training to be a nurse that the body does jolt and it’s almost our bodies checking we’re still ok, like a natural defibrillator. Scary but like a nudge. Would say if you’re worried see your gp. Best of luck xx

Revynn Thu 27-May-21 10:34:09

Ddd10

Hansw93 I read your post and cannot believe how identical your experience is to mine. It is so hard to describe this feeling and have never read about others feeling this. I felt like I wrote it. Have you ever seen a doctor about it? Has anyone explained what it could be? Mine started about 2 months ago...same exact thing. I am going to a cardiologist in a couple weeks. I have had a zio heart monitor and my extra beats seem to be normal but this just feels different. It happens right at the moment I am about to drift off to sleep. A rush comes over me and jolts me awake. Feels like my heart stopped for a second. Vision is a little odd for a split second. Scary.

Ddd10 Have you heard anything yet? Or what about you Hans?? I just developed this in the past week or two and it’s not happening almost every night multiple times. I may not belong on this site (I’m 32) but yours and Hans are the best descriptions I’ve seen. Terrifying and no one can seem to give me an answer.

Revynn Thu 27-May-21 10:32:07

Have you heard anything yet? Or what about you Hans?? I just developed this in the past week or two and it’s not happening almost every night multiple times. I may not belong on this site (I’m 32) but yours and Hans are the best descriptions I’ve seen. Terrifying and no one can seem to give me an answer.

Shelflife Sat 15-May-21 08:20:43

I too have that jolt and feeling of falling as I drift into sleep. I would suggest that if you are waking breathless in the night you book an at with your doctor. Play safe and good luck .

Ddd10 Sat 15-May-21 06:10:22

Hansw93 I read your post and cannot believe how identical your experience is to mine. It is so hard to describe this feeling and have never read about others feeling this. I felt like I wrote it. Have you ever seen a doctor about it? Has anyone explained what it could be? Mine started about 2 months ago...same exact thing. I am going to a cardiologist in a couple weeks. I have had a zio heart monitor and my extra beats seem to be normal but this just feels different. It happens right at the moment I am about to drift off to sleep. A rush comes over me and jolts me awake. Feels like my heart stopped for a second. Vision is a little odd for a split second. Scary.

HansW93 Thu 19-Nov-20 11:07:00

I know this is an old post but wondered if anyone had gotten any further on this? I'm 27 and have been suffering with the same feeling for at least a year.

I too get the feeling almost like my heart stops when Falling asleep, like a kind of rush feeling comes over my body which is very unpleasant and I have to snap myself out of it and open my eyes and sometimes sit up and really concentrate on steady calm breathing. I thought it may be some sort of anxiety attack? When I Google this panic attack seems to come up alot, although I'm not sure I've ever actually had a panic attack as they seem a lot worse than what I experience when I try to go to sleep. Perhaps its similar to the beginning of a panic attack but isn't a fully blown one? I often panic a little bit when I get this feeling and thats why I have to snap myself out of it, because I don't know whats happening I think you automatically worry your about to have a heart attack or something bad is going on in your body.. this seems to be a symptom of a panic attack, I wonder if we just dont let it get that far?

I get the a couple times a night about 4-5 nights a week when I'm trying to sleep. I also agree its similar to the stomach turning feeling but instead its your heart that feels it. When I first starting experiencing this i would again get the same feeling rush through my body but I thought my heart would start beating really fast, now its happened so much I feel its actually the opposite and it feels like my heart stops.. although I'm sure it doesn't actually stop it just feels like it.. almost like when you hear really bad news and your heart sinks to your stomach.

Its reassuring to hear other people experience this, wish we knew what it actually is. I've put over going to the doctor about it because I find it so hard to describe. May have to go soon though if it doesn't stop, ive never had problems sleeping before.

BlueSky Tue 05-May-20 09:32:32

Sorry my mistake they were old posts! This quarantine is affecting my brain!

BlueSky Tue 05-May-20 09:11:47

What's happening on here? Have recent posts been deleted? They were there when I replied! hmm

BlueSky Tue 05-May-20 08:56:57

Same here I too jolt or feel like I'm tripping just before dropping off and occasionally the loud bang in the head! You can always mention it to your GP when we'll be able to see them again for routine matters rather than urgent ones only!
Lucky must have been so reassuring being married to a doctor!

Davidmh Tue 05-May-20 07:55:46

I'm 30 and experience fear, shortness of breath and heavy heart beats as I start to fall asleep. I often wake up feeling that I'm dying and cant breath. I have no heart issues but have a line of heart issues that run in the family. I've wore a halter monitor, had ultra sounds and have been cleared by my cardiologist. Definitely unsettling going to sleep and having this happen 4‐5 times a night 5-6 days a week

BlueSapphire Thu 13-Jun-19 16:41:07

I used to suffer from sleep paralysis a lot when falling asleep. It was very scary as I'd be conscious, but couldn't move a muscle. Someone explained it as things shutting down for sleep in the wrong order. Apparently your brain should shut down first, then your muscles, but sometimes it gets reversed. That did help me understand it but didn't make it any less terrifying.

Urmstongran Thu 13-Jun-19 10:42:00

P.s. I didn’t realise this was a 3y old thread either!

Urmstongran Thu 13-Jun-19 10:41:15

I get these ‘whoosh’ sensations occasionally - just as I’m dropping off to sleep. They feel quite scary and I reach out to sit up and feel a bit panicky but it goes as soon as I do. When I lie down I think how horrid it was and try mindful breathing .... then I’m soon asleep.

BlueSky Thu 13-Jun-19 10:06:59

Bradfordlass I too have had a recurring anxiety dream since I was a child! Time to open another thread or better still see a psychologist! grin

BradfordLass72 Thu 13-Jun-19 06:07:07

BlueSky I have (or had) the absolutely identical dream for many years. I try and try to open my eyes but can't.

Sometimes it's because there is light shining brightly into my eyes, preventing my opening them.

I haven't had the dream for over 10 years now, about the time I contracted an eye condition which, if I am in a bright light (indoors or out), means I can't see anything, or open my eyes!! grin

BlueSky Wed 12-Jun-19 10:27:32

I occasionally dream (?) that I want to wake up but can't open my eyes. This is in the morning roughly at my waking up time. I struggle terribly to open my eyes, believe I can see only through a tiny gap then I eventually wake up with a real effort. In my case it helps not to sleep too long/not enough.

Flossieturner Wed 12-Jun-19 07:54:10

They are called Hypnic jerks. Nice to know they have a name although no-one seems to be able to have a reason why we do them. The advice is to to avoid exercise, food and drink before bed and have a prolonged bed-time routine with relaxation techniques.

BradfordLass72 Wed 12-Jun-19 07:46:23

My doctor advised me to take magnesium for this. My sensations were like yours except that I was not afraid, just shocked awake by falling off something.

I rarely get this now I take a high-dose magnesium chelate just before bedtime.

There is another phenomenon, Sleep Paralysis, whereby people wake up but appear to be paralysed and have strange, terrifying sensations and even hallucinations.

It's quite common, up to 50% of people experience it at some time and Sleep Disorder Scientists think it might be linked to people believing they have been abducted by aliens.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

travelsafar Wed 12-Jun-19 06:39:35

My DH gets a similar thing, he wakes up gasping for breath and feels like he is choking. I did say mention to GP as it could be sleep apnea and may need investigating, but you know what men are like with all things medical. smile

BlueBelle Wed 12-Jun-19 05:54:06

Sorry just realised this is a very old thread I never looked at the dates Whoops

BlueBelle Wed 12-Jun-19 05:52:24

I’d check out sleep apnea

Esspee Wed 12-Jun-19 05:42:24

Suggest you PM the OP Rebecca.

Rebecca23 Tue 11-Jun-19 22:51:03

Hello, I realise this was some time ago now. I'm wondering if you found out what it was? I have the exact same thing. Feels like my heart stops and I'm sat bolt upright in bed gasping. I also get a rushing feeling in my head.

Eloethan Wed 20-Apr-16 23:16:32

I sometimes get that falling sensation but not the symptoms you describe. Is it something that you might speak to your GP about just to check that everything is in order?