Gransnet forums

Health

I have to have dentures and I'm very upset about it

(85 Posts)
Nonnie1 Thu 28-Apr-16 02:29:57

I have had lifelong problems with my teeth, and I am now at the stage where my bridges have fallen out due to the teeth at either side supporting them, crumbling and going bad.

I have six top teeth left at the front and nine bottom teeth also at the front, so I now have to have dentures both top and bottom as I have no teeth at the sides and can't chew. If I smile I look terrible so I know I have to have the dentures but I am dreading even the thought of it. Presently if I smile I look like a contestant from The Jeremy Kyle show.

The dentist removed seven teeth in one week and I cried so much it made me feel ill. I have got over that now and the dentures will be fitted within the next week or so.

I am dreading it. I'm not old but I suddenly feel like I am now on the scrap heap. I find myself looking at other people's teeth and feeling ashamed of my own and wonder how I got here.

Can anyone give me any positive comments about dentures please. Will I look like an old woman.. Will people be able to tell I am wearing dentures and will they be uncomfortable?

The dentist says I have a small palate so I might need Poligrip to hold them in place which is not very hygienic, unless I can find a way of holding them in myself. How am I going to do that I have no idea.

I'm also worried that they will make me look like I have massive teeth, plus I'm scared my face will start to sink in at the sides if the gums shrink.

Apologies for the self pity

Feeling hopeless x

Celiahope Sun 21-Jun-20 22:44:21

I can understand that you worry. If made good dentures are not bad and as with me I forget about them.
My story:
Both my father has dentures. My mother from being 20.
Me and my twin sister have had them from being 19. Mother has a generic deviation that my sister and I inherited. We were used to parents had dentures and mother told us that we were going to get dentures possible from 18.
Well 2 years ago we had our 32 teeth pulled and fitted with dentures. We asked mom to do it as she was dentist. We understood from her reaction that she would not like it. But as we were very hard on it she said yes with tears in her eyes.
We decided to start begin summer holiday.
She told us everything about the process and the first months discomforts and that could be difficult feelings to cope with.
Started with x-rays, moldings and measurements. Then a monday the eday for both. First sister then me. Fitted the dentures and talked with us. Said we would get a shock when first time see oneselves without teeth. That we should have dentures in 24/7 for the first week except for cleening. Then always look in the mirror to get used to the toothless looks when toothless and make faces and laugh getting used to the new us.
When in a relationship be open with having dentures and discuss what to do. It is very often that the partner accept that you take them out when intimate. It is very important not to hide it.
Well I am now a very happy denture wearer with a fiancy as also my sister, and now a happy mother.

KatyK Thu 01-Aug-19 14:16:34

Oh and Musicgirl you are the first person who has ever described me as positive. Most people around me thing I'm a misery, which I am, so thanks.

KatyK Thu 01-Aug-19 14:14:06

Hello Musicgirl thank you for asking smile Yes it was horrendous. I was a neglected child. We never owned a toothbrush. My front teeth rotted and my mother took me to a horrible dentist who told her it was best if he took them all out. She let him. School and teenage years were very difficult. I hear people say they have nightmares about losing all their teeth. Well I lived that nightmare at 11. I know I'm not the only one. It felt particularly cruel when, ten years ago, I lost all my hair too. It's not been great but it's how it is.

MarinaAmbridge Thu 01-Aug-19 12:56:55

Dentures have come on leaps and bounds over the years. They are extremely sophisticated these days and, when worn properly, cannot be distinguished from natural teeth. Dentures may even improve the look of your smile.
(https://tsi.dental/about-us/)

Musicgirl Tue 30-Jul-19 23:57:31

Hullo, KatyK, that must have been a dreadful, traumatic experience for you. Why did you need to have all your teeth out at such a young age? It must have been very difficult for you at school and with friends. Losing my teeth is something l have always dreaded. Well done on your positive attitude.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Thu 19-Apr-18 12:33:20

Happysexegarian, I have just returned to my post and wanted to thank you so much for your very supportive response. As yet my return date for the dentist hasn't come round but now we're in April, it's getting uncomfortably close as my appt is in May and that's when I'll get the verdict in the extent of what needs to be done.

In the meantime I'm trying to put it to the back of my mind and enjoy foods which might be a problem later - I really love soft fruit with tiny pips such as raspberries (oooh my favourite), blackberries, strawberries.

I have also discovered that my younger sister, who has always been fanatical about looking after her teeth, has already got false teeth, albeit back ones and I wouldn't have known if she hadn't told me. I have a really loose front tooth though so I know from the last appt with the dentist that he's not confident of being able to bridge it with other front teeth as he says they're loose too (though they feel fine to me and I don't actually have any pain with teeth or gums. Though I have to admit those don't look too good!

I will look to your courageous outlook in your other post, and just try to face up to it - and keep my mouth firmly clamped shut when I'm on the mad, bad motorsickle ( as an American colleague describes it!).

BTW, my site name comes from my aunt's reaction (then in her 80's) when I got my 1st motorcycle at age 50 - she was highly delighted and exclaimed that I was growing old disgracefully! I am now on my 62nd year and my lovely aunt turned 90 recently and is still as rebellious and good fun as always.

For now I'm sitting in glorious sunshine outside my caravan near Honiton, have stuffed myself with ice cream, and about to get on with some lacemaking and stop my dental phobia ruining my calm!

Thank you again for your very kind support.

Happysexagenarian Fri 06-Apr-18 23:58:39

Hi GrowingOldDisgracefully (love the name!), Welcome to GransNet. I may not be the best qualified person here to reply to you but here goes. I know just how you feel! I was so worried about my teeth looking 'false' and (heaven forbid) not fitting properly. I have had my new top denture for two weeks now and I have no problems at all with it. It fits like a glove, it actually clips invisibly to two of my remaining four teeth, and easy to fit or remove. There is no movement or wobble, no rubbing or soreness and eating is once again a pleasure. When I first got it, yes it felt very big and bulky and I couldn't stop exploring with my tongue. After a few days I forgot it was there. Eating was not a problem but I found I was speaking with a slight lisp. My dentist said that frequent practice would improve speech so I read aloud - newspapers, books, poetry, nursery rhymes, tongue twisters - anything to get used to saying the 's' 'sh' and 'th' sounds. At the moment my denture consists of just four back molars and in a few weeks four front teeth will be added to it to replace my front bridge which is loose. My dentist has asked to see photos of me with my natural teeth (before the bridge) so that she can make them as natural as possible for me. She has taken a lot of trouble to match the colour to my remaining teeth. I thought at first that they were not very white but I think brilliant white teeth might look a but unreal on someone my age. I too worried about having to remove my denture at night - what would my husband think ! - but we joke about it and he is just pleased that I have found the courage to seek treatment. I think the all important issue is getting the best fit possible that you feel comfortable and confident with, regardless of how many times the fit has to be adjusted till they get it right. Remind them that you are the one that has to wear it, not the technician or dentist. Please don't be afraid, far better for your overall health to have dentures than painful teeth. I don't know your age but I felt it was better for me to do this now (I'm 67) than wait until I'm in my eighties when it would be far more frightening. As for riding your bike, no they won't fall out when you go over a bump if they are a good fit, and a lovely gleaming smile of even teeth will look so young and sexy with leathers! Wishing you all the very best. Let us know how you get on.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Thu 08-Mar-18 23:55:32

Hi, new to this site and discovered it by looking for help on the same topic. So sorry for raising this again but feeling so like the lady who first opened this thread. Even though some of the posts are positive, I'm so unhappy and frightened about this. I am very phobic about dentists, so hadn't been for years, but was 'bullied' into going last week by my family. Have always been afraid I would be told I would have to lose my teeth, and surprise surprise, that was exactly last week's verdict. As soon as the dentist started taking moulds of my mouth, I knew where the conversation would be going. His verdict is the bone in my jaws won't support implants, and that I am going to lose them all. I have a friend who, like me, is an early riser and has to go home by 9.30 pm because her teeth have worked loose by early evening. Im so afraid I'm going to lose my active and late night social life if this is also my fate. I'm afraid I won't be able to speak or eat properly, that they'll look so awful I'll never be able to smile or laugh again. I ride a motorcycle, the love of my life, and so afraid that if I go over a bump in the road on her that I'll shake false teeth loose, and will have to give up riding her. After all, do tight leathers and granny teeth really go together??! Im also afraid of having to have a foreign contraption in my mouth, but also afraid of what my mouth will look and feel like if i have to take them out. So sorry to gripe, but you seem a nice group of ladies who will listen to others' problems.

Happysexagenarian Sat 03-Mar-18 23:02:47

Nonniel,
I hope by now you have successfully had your dentures fitted and are happy with them. I have just had impressions taken for an upper denture and will get the first wax denture to try next week. I'm quite excited about it even though dentistry in general terrifies me! I still have a few of my own top teeth and the denture will 'clip' to them to help secure it. I also have a small front bridge which is loose and will later be removed and replacement teeth added to the denture. I'm sure it will take me a while to get used to the feel of a denture but at least I will be able to eat and chew again!

I may also need a smaller partial denture on the bottom, but my dentist will decide about that in due course. She is wonderfully supportive and sympathetic to my fears and does all she can to preserve as many natural teeth as possible. My teeth have been the bain of my life since I was a small child and I'm amazed they have lasted so long, so I try to think of dentures as just the next positive step in my dental health. I am looking forward to smiling confidently and eating comfortably for the first time in years.

Wishing you all the best.

Elizabeth1 Wed 02-Aug-17 10:24:38

My partial top denture has a hook around a natural tooth to keep the top denture fixed. Unfortunately when it was upgraded the dentist/technician put an ugly metal hook on to the new plate which was very clearly in view. I refused to accept this and the plate was sent back to the technician who put a more modern hard rubber hook on to the plate. This blended in well with my gum and was less visible. My dentist had the grace to apologise for trying to encourage me to accept the horrible metal hook when this one looked so much better. The moral of this story is to tell your dentist what you're happy with and what you would like changed. Most of them are so very professional in helping the customer to achieve their goal.

Deni1963 Wed 02-Aug-17 02:55:02

Nonnie1 how are you now?

Deni1963 Tue 01-Aug-17 00:29:53

Thank you - I don't plan on ever taking them out except to clean! Still very anxious

fillygumbo Sun 30-Jul-17 19:21:50

I posted almost the same question a year or so ago - mostly I felt so ashamed at needing them and am always terrified that a family member will call in and catch me without them.
I had such good and kind advice on here which helped me feel normal.
I have got used to them and during the day do not give them another thought though I get to early evening and think thank goodness I can lock the door and take them out.
At least now you will be able to smile widely and improve your looks.

Deni1963 Tue 25-Jul-17 19:36:26

Thank you - appreciate all the comments and reassurances - Sept 6th I have the partial plate - costing £450. Apparently these have little hooks on them so don't know how noticeable it will be - any recommend the best partial denture around?

Nanabilly Mon 24-Jul-17 21:33:42

No she does not take them out at night ,she uses some cleaner that only takes a couple of minutes so no overnight soaking like my mum used to do.

tidyskatemum Mon 24-Jul-17 21:02:17

I didn't go to the dentist for nearly 30 years after several really bad experiences but had to pluck up the courage when the state of my teeth got really bad. The dentist advertises his practice as pain-free and I have to admit he was very gentle and while I was having extractions the dental nurse stroked my arm and constantly reassured me. I've ended up with a full top denture - the dentist said if I was embarrassed just tell everyone I've had implants and they will be impressed at my financial situation without being any the wiser about what I've actually had done! And he's been absolutely right. I do aim not to let OH see me without teeth but I think I'm more concerned than he is.

Deni1963 Mon 24-Jul-17 20:05:57

Thank you Nanabilly - does she take them out at night?

yggdrasil Mon 24-Jul-17 16:33:38

My mother had front false teeth implanted so she didn't need dentures. It cost her a fortune, but they have lasted well, she is 98 now.

goldengirl Mon 24-Jul-17 16:18:38

I have had dentures for a while now [my teeth grew loose when I was ill]. I was scared at the idea originally but it's been the best thing. My teeth are not shiny white but look very natural - none of my friends realised at first until I made the announcement. I use fixodent and then forget about them. I can eat what I like without any problems. Don't worry Nonnie1 you'll get used to them in no time and wonder how you ever managed before. I feel young again as I can smile without worrying. My dentist took time over the fitting and tbh they've been worth every penny. And they're easy to look after too.

Nanabilly Mon 24-Jul-17 12:17:42

Right from the day she had them fitted she was proud of her new smile. For the very first time she smiled and showed the world she was happy with her smile , her eyes lit up. She coped remarkably well it took a couple of days for her to get used to the feel of them and to talk and eat properly with them in but not for long.

Deedaa Sun 23-Jul-17 22:48:54

I think you are right Nanabilly in all the years I knew her my mother never went to the dentist because she had been so traumatised by army dentists during the war. She had one or two very old fillings but kept all her teeth till the day she died. I was living in the same house, eating the same food and going to the dentist every 6 months and my teeth are rubbish. Only half of them left and most of those are filled or crowned.

Deni1963 Sun 23-Jul-17 21:07:14

Thank you - how did she cope initially?

Deni1963 Sun 23-Jul-17 21:05:58

No bridge as the crowns either side are not strong enough -

Nanabilly Sun 23-Jul-17 18:10:32

My eldest sister had to have a full set of dentures due to her really soft teeth and badly decaying gums. She always had troublesome teeth from very young and 3 more sisters have the same problem . My mum had dentures really really young I never remember her with her own teeth.They were always at the side of the bath as they made her gums sore.
I fortunately have my dad's genes for teeth as my dentist says people almost always have strong teeth OR strong gums but me and dad have /had both . Teeth like horses he described it (not big and yellow though) they are perfectly straight and many folks think I have dentures or crowns. Anyway my eldest sister says having the dentures is the best thing she ever did as she no longer has to hide her mouth when she smiles or laughs and her confidence has grown immensely since she had them . So looking back on this I don't believe that it only purely because teeth are not looked after , if it's in the genes there is nothing you can do about soft teeth.
Try not to be self conscious . Be like my sister and wear your dentures with pride.

trueblue22 Sun 23-Jul-17 17:58:12

Dear nonnie. I had a denture/plate for my back teeth in my early 50s because of receding gums.

i also couldn't bear the thought of having something my parents had in a glass of sterident as i wasn't old. I have such bad receding gums that that implants would be too expensive and could fail.

Just think of a plate like an implant. They are both false but it's the overall effect that counts. I don't even think about it now.

Good luck.