Gransnet forums

Health

Peeing!

(132 Posts)
gettingonabit Tue 24-May-16 18:06:48

Anyone else suffer from Overactive Bladder? Want to share thoughts?

I was diagnosed with this annoying condition 14 years ago. In a nutshell, it involves lots of peeing, urgency to go and sometimes incontinenceblush. Thankfully I've never lost control (yet). For me, it means not being able to go out without knowing where the toilets are. Long journeys, especially at short notice, don't bear thinking about.

I'm fed up with it now. It's embarrassing and life-limiting. I've been given Regurin which helps. The worst part is the unpredictability. I never know when it's going to kick off.

I've been reading up on the Menopause and I notice that OAB can be caused by vaginal atrophy due to hormone changes. Am I being unreasonable to think that the various docs I've seen over the years could have mentioned the link between OAB and the Meno?

I need to go back to work and I don't want to be terrorised by my dodgy bladder any longer.

Any others out there who can offer some tips on how to control this condition better?

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 03-Jun-16 19:55:06

You might be interested to know that there are quite a few apps for phones to help you find a public loo. Some use GPS so need an internet connection, but this one can be used offline and is developed by someone in the UK. None are perfect, but it could help.

toilet app

Lillian098 Thu 09-Jun-16 08:06:34

feeling sad for you

GandTea Thu 09-Jun-16 08:38:07

As a man that had the same problem , I can see how big a problem this is .a lady. As a man, when driving the problem is easy. In fact a friend of mine who has extreme problems drilled a hole in the floor of his car with a tube going out and a condom like attachment. Could a she wee be adapted ?

gettingonabit Thu 09-Jun-16 08:45:23

GandTea are you taking the pee?grin

Tegan Thu 09-Jun-16 08:49:46

My 'worst nightmare' actually happened the other week. Driving back from Northumberland we had a dream run and I thought I'd get home without needing to stop off. However, we saw a sign for 'Services 28 miles' and I realised that I would need to use them as I was starting to feel a tad uncomfortable. 14 miles on and we hit the mother and father of all traffic jams, which continued for the next 10 or so miles. Motorway was down to one lane [the outside lane] so we couldn't even pull off anywhere. Thankfully I just made it in time, but it was a horrible half hour. I'm definitely going to buy a whiz thingy to keep in the car. Having said that, since I switched to decaff tea and coffee, and have lost a lot of weight off my tummy I have been much better and haven't been getting up in the night as often. I did wonder about having a hole in the floor [or a commode car seat of some kind blush!Failing that I shall make sure I have a large plastic milk container with me and will do some practice [under cover of darkness as I don't have a garage]. What fun....

baubles Thu 09-Jun-16 08:52:15

That is ingenious GT!

I occasionally experience extreme urgency just as I'm getting my door key out of my bag.

If I wake during the night thinking I need to go to the loo I try to ignore it as I don't want it to become a habit.

Tegan Thu 09-Jun-16 09:22:03

I've just ordered a sheewee over the phone; they also sell little bags called 'peebols' which I have also bought. I assume these are the sort of things that ae used in colostomy products. I can't believe it's taken me so long to buy one. Oh, and Blacks camping shops also sell them; I'm sure I've asked in certain shops and they haven't sold them, but it could be that I got embarrassed and chickened out of asking.peebols can also be used by men and/or children that get caught short on car journeys.The whiz does sound better but doesn't have the peebol thingy.

GandTea Thu 09-Jun-16 09:32:56

I may be wrong, but I'm sure there is a product that contains absorbent stuff (I'm sure it's more technical that that) You can just pee onto it and the pee solidifies (bit like modern nappies)

gettingonabit Thu 09-Jun-16 10:18:13

I've just spent a happy half hour Googling peebols, Shewees and all things pee-related. Thanks so much for the suggestions. smile

Tegan Thu 09-Jun-16 10:50:30

How much do you want to bet that, if and when I get stuck in a traffic jam again I don't have it with me....?

GandTea Thu 09-Jun-16 11:03:20

I have sat in a traffic jam, having a pee. No one can see what you are doing, but it does feel very wrong.

GandTea Thu 09-Jun-16 11:05:14

Yes peebols, they are the things I had seen. Just keep one in the glove box (does anyone put gloves in them ? )

NanKate Thu 09-Jun-16 11:29:17

I am a complete convert all you need is a Sheewee or a whizz plus an empty milk container a small blanket to cover yourself in the car and you are away. Peeing has never been more fun smile

Peeing standing up is so liberating.

elena Thu 09-Jun-16 11:35:00

Great info on this thread smile . I have just ordered a Whiz. It will be used when we go walking - I hate having to find a bush or a tree and worrying about being exposed.

Medication: I have been on Vagifem for about three years, after I got sick and tired of frequency/urgency. It helped me a lot.

gettingonabit Thu 09-Jun-16 13:09:19

Question: can you pee directly into a peebol if you're a woman? Or do you need a shewee as well?

Tegan Thu 09-Jun-16 13:24:17

Only men can wee directly into it I'm afraid. When I've got my sheewee I can stop doing the 'just in case' trips to the loo and that might improve things even more. Now to check out the exercises which I must start doing.

Angelwispa Fri 10-Jun-16 12:47:19

wow, I'm so glad I found this thread now I feel I'm 'not alone' and that there is help 'out there'. Although I'm surprised that Vagifem seems to be helping to sort out this problem for some, as I've been using this product for about 2 years and if anything my bladder problem has actually worsened during this time, instead of once or twice a night, it's up to 4 times a night that I visit the bathroom! the after effects are extreme tiredness and irritabilty, my Dr doesn't seem to want to know and although I've had tests for diabetes, it seems all is ok in that department. Although I must confess that I've put on weight, so they may have something to do with it. I've not heard of this product called the whiz but I'm going to google it now, it could be the answer to some of my problems. Hubby wants to go for walks but like many of you I'm worried about where the nearest loo is etc. Having a 'weak bladder' certainly makes life difficult at times, so any tips and advice are very welcome.

Tegan Fri 10-Jun-16 13:28:14

Have you tried cutting out caffeine? It's made such a difference to me but took a while to work. I hadn't thought that green tea had caffeine in. And was surprised at how much food irritated bladders [eg cranberries]. The whiz doesn't seem to have the extension bit that the sheewee has but it looks like a better design. Problem is I'm not sure how to use a whiz or sheewee if I wear leggings [which I live in these days]. May have to go back to wearing jeans perhaps.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 10-Jun-16 15:54:15

Whichever way you use either of them, sooner or later you will get wet legs.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 10-Jun-16 15:57:09

They work fine - in your own bathroom. (most of the time) Behind a bush - wet trouser leg. I have never tried them sitting down in a car, but I would advise a polythene seat cover.

Seriously.

Tegan Fri 10-Jun-16 16:28:42

Sometimes it's just knowing that there's an alternative that gets you to the next loo without having the need to use one, as stress tightens up your muscles and makes you need to go even more. I'll be doing lots of practice before I use one in the car [especially as it's not my car!]. If it doesn't work, looking at the shape, I can always use it as an ear trumpet when I get even deafer smile.

elena Fri 10-Jun-16 17:31:11

Vagifem is mild HRT - one reason I think why my hair is nicer on it smile It brings more tone to the pelvic floor muscles, but if this is not the reason for the problem, then I don't suppose it will help.

Tegan Fri 10-Jun-16 17:39:40

In that case I'll see if my Dr will prescribe it for me [for the hair not the pelvic muscles, that is].

Atqui Fri 10-Jun-16 17:42:40

I think the whizz has a tube attachment leading to a bag . I googled both but haven't ordered one yet. Can't decide between that and the peeboll which If I remember looks like a milk carton

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 10-Jun-16 19:30:12

The thing is with the Whizz or Shewee is try to pee slowly. Otherwise it floods sideways. And be careful which way round to use it. Look at the instructions carefully. The way round you think they should be used will probably be the wrong way.