Gransnet forums

Health

Dry and thin skin on arms

(29 Posts)
Lapwing Sun 26-Jun-16 15:23:42

I went through the menopause 12 years ago and it was a relatively painless experience at the time.

Now, however I am having problems with very dry and thin skin, mainly on my arms. I find that very little causes the skin to tear or cut and it then takes ages to heal. I am using an emollient cream prescribed by my doctor but would appreciate any advice from Gransnet members who have dealt with this. Unfortunately I cannot use HRT due to being in a high risk cancer category.

gillyknits Fri 01-Jul-16 09:16:56

Sorry I was a bit late finding this discussion but it's great to know that I am not alone with this problem. Having just been to A&E with a dish washer door injury, I am about to try some of your ideas to help my skin.I fear it is too late to get rid of the brown staining on my legs caused by previous bruising.
We are going on holiday soon and apart from Sun block on my legs it looks like full length trousers from now on.
(Interesting to hear about steroid use as I am on inhaled steroids too.)

MayBee70 Mon 27-Jul-20 10:29:05

I’m going to bump this thread up as I did a search on thinning skin and this thread popped up. I seem to be having a problem with the sun damaged parts of my body, even thought they’re not massively sun damaged as I’ve never been a sun worshipper. But around my knock and arms the skin was flaking, blistering, not healing etc etc. Having tried everything I rubbed a small amount of Vit E oil on the affected areas and it soothed the skin immediately and the areas are healing quite nicely. E45 lotion doesn’t work as well. From now on I’m going to keep covered up at all times (or use a high factor sun block.

Phloembundle Wed 12-Aug-20 12:39:58

A light bulb has just gone on in my head! I am having problems with skin tearing easily but am also on steroid inhaler. Now I know why my skin is like paper. Thanks everyone.