Gransnet forums

Health

Knee replacement. Help!

(503 Posts)
Jane10 Fri 30-Sep-16 11:41:27

Just been informed that my knee has 'reached the end of the line'. Need replacement. Am devastated and really worried about it all. Any positive info welcome.

granjura Sun 02-Oct-16 11:27:40

That's the spirit Jane - bravo. Best money spent- as it isn't much to put a handle by WC, a step by bath, raiser cushion on favourite armchair and bed - for a start.

Physio exercises change as you get better- so having someone to show you how to progress beyond basic exercises shown is a massive boon. Some people spend money on fags, wine, handbags, nails, etc- for me personally spending a bit on preparing my home and extra physio to help post op - best money ever spent.

Charleygirl Sun 02-Oct-16 11:38:54

I agree Wobbly- simple things like moving a chair to the bathroom so that you can sit at the whb. Ditto in the kitchen.

Do not take slip on slippers to hospital, you need a pair with backs. A nightdress is easier to put on than pjs.

I also used a flask to carry coffee from kitchen to chair. My kitchen is small but at the start I had to eat food there because I had no means of carrying a plate/tray safely.

A lot depends on where you live- I was not offered any gadgets eg a raised loo seat. Many hospitals do supply them.

Same with physio- I had "hospital at home" on discharge so the physio visited my house for around 4-5 days until he thought that I could manage. He showed me how to get in and out of a car safely without buying any gadgets.

A few weeks later I had to travel to the hospital weekly for physio and this was for 6 weeks of physio.

I was given two sets of crutches, one to use downstairs, the other for upstairs. I do have a stair lift but it was helpful. Because I have other joint problems I was given a Zimmer frame to begin with and I have kept it for the next joint replacement.

I also spent ages cooking and freezing because I knew that I would not be able to cook from scratch to start with.

On the whole there are ways around without spending any money- it is a case of planning ahead.

Good luck to all.

Jane10 Sun 02-Oct-16 11:49:16

I'm glad we live in a flat. That should simplify things. Good tips from everyone. DH is on red alert and all set to do whatever is necessary. I suspect this will wear off and I do dread being a nuisance to the family. I feel I've already lost my independence and my confidence has certainly taken a dip.
How were you tkr veterans from a psychological point of view?

Jalima Sun 02-Oct-16 11:57:07

Jane10 I have not had a knee replacement (but may need one in the future hmm) but am having mobility problems at the moment with one leg in plaster.
I found crutches a bit unstable and am using a zimmer frame (not for long I hope!) but someone suggested one of those bicycles which has a basket on the front. I haven't borrowed it from her as she may need it herself.
I was told that hygiene could be a problem, have ordered a shower stool from a firm called Aids for Mobility (other firms available) who sounded very helpful on the phone, but I am eyeing up the high lip into the shower with doubt. Getting into the bath is a step too far I think. However - so far I have managed very well with jolly good washes apart from hair washing. (No-one has complained yet)
Getting up from the top of the stairs is the most difficult, I need a stool pushed against a wall plus DH to help with that.

The Red Cross will hire out equipment too.

henetha Sun 02-Oct-16 17:06:14

Thank you for your good wishes Annesixty

Spangles1963 Sun 02-Oct-16 17:11:27

I was told in January this year that both my knees are in a bad way,and that they will both need replacing at some point. But.....at 53,I am considered 'too young',and will have to wait at least another 5 years. sad Also got to lose some more weight before they will consider operating.

Jane10 Sun 02-Oct-16 17:45:57

When I pathetically said to the orthopaedic surgeon 'but I'm only 61' he said 'lots of people have them in their 50s these days'!

Wobblybits Mon 03-Oct-16 06:23:56

Planning, just remembered an important tip, get some elastic laces, you can get them online from sports outlets (tri athletes use them) or if you have a good sewing shop, you can buy the same elastic cord by the meter. This will enable you to get your shoes on without bending. I have had to revert to them already as I cannot bend my hip far enough to get my trainers on.

Jane10 Mon 03-Oct-16 07:54:03

VG suggestion. Will get on to that asap. Also slippers with backs.

annsixty Mon 03-Oct-16 08:03:01

If no-one has said already get some icepacks for your knee for when you get home. I got mine from Amazon. Some hospitals will give or loan them, mine didn't. They help with pain and swelling.

Jane10 Mon 03-Oct-16 09:52:20

I've been using my trusty bag of frozen peas until now. Would that be enough?

annsixty Mon 03-Oct-16 10:17:22

Yes if you use a tea towel underneath don't forget you will have a long scar which is very sensitive and quite " raw" at first.

Jane10 Mon 03-Oct-16 10:18:55

Oh sad Not feeling very brave. Must get grip.

Charleygirl Mon 03-Oct-16 10:23:52

Jane10 and henetha, preparation is the key, it is simple things like a pair of slippers with backs or an old bag of frozen peas used over and over which can make all of the difference.

I wore my comfortable ancient jogging bottoms which were so easy to get on and off, when I arrived home.

The more you think ahead, the easier it will be and you can always ask us lot.

Jane10 Mon 03-Oct-16 11:05:11

I've been following up on all the suggestions. I live in lovely stretchy yoga pants anyway but am losing weight so they'll soon be even looser. Elastic laces ordered from Amazon along with other bits and pieces that look sensible to actually buy. They won't be wasted.

Wobblybits Mon 03-Oct-16 11:28:46

Initially you might want some shorts or skirt, trousers rubbing on the new scar may be painful.

Jane10 Mon 03-Oct-16 12:01:34

As if things aren't bad enough for my family. Me in shorts!! I've not worn a skirt for years. Oh no. Yet another thing to worry about!

Wobblybits Mon 03-Oct-16 12:33:08

LOL, your scar will get you loads of sympathy. I'm sure you've got smashing legs.

granjura Mon 03-Oct-16 14:03:03

I've been wearing just below knee shorts all Summer- the scar is aboslutely amazing, apart from a tiny patch of keloïds above the knee where trousers 'catch' the skin. Honestly, the least of your worries.

Burst into tears this am at physio's as someone smashed straight into me as I was going there- she came out of smally side road without looking at all- thank goodness I saw her and took avoiding action- caught the full length of my car instead of full frontal - pheeew. Never had a car accident since the one 46 years which led to knee replacement!

Burst into tears when after exercising other leg (which has had to do all the hard work for 46 years to protect damaged one) - the crunching noise was so bad and she said 'think you will have to think about doing this one in the Spring and not wait another year' - just sent me over!

granjura Mon 03-Oct-16 14:04:11

I've had scars on either side of knee (holes for traction pin) and all along side of thigh (smashed femur) for 46 years - so the one on the knee is not going to make much difference!

Jane10 Mon 03-Oct-16 14:38:11

What a rotten things to happen granjura. Hope you're feeling a bit better now. flowers

Wobblybits Mon 03-Oct-16 17:17:04

flowers

Jane10 Mon 03-Oct-16 17:26:49

Just heard- I've got a date 26th Oct. In some ways I wish it was sooner but this does leave some preparation time and its really quite quick. Can't complain (except about my sub standard knee!)

Wobblybits Mon 03-Oct-16 17:33:31

Great news Jane, how long is it since your Dr referred you ?

Jane10 Mon 03-Oct-16 17:44:12

Can't remember but not longer than a month ago. I think that was why I was in such a state of shock. Maybe its a cancellation.