Gransnet forums

Health

Dry Eye Syndrome

(43 Posts)
GrAnne2 Sat 15-Oct-16 11:04:26

Have been suffering from this for the past few months and have used MGD eye bag, various lubricants, drunk more water, taken 2000mg fish oil supplements daily & finally saw an ophthalmologist yesterday. Basically, he advises a routine (but can't specify which drops will help) which conflicts with optometrists' advice (locum & regular gave different opinions) and GP was different again. I would like to have comfortable eyes again & resume wearing contact lenses - even occasionally! Anyone out there with recommendations? I'm wondering about Chinese medicine, as I don't particularly like all the eye drops. Your experiences would be immensely helpful, please.

Charleygirl Sat 15-Oct-16 11:09:31

I have recently been diagnosed with the same. I am supposed to take a clean cloth x2 a day and with my eyelids closed, apply the warm, wet cloth to my eyes, frequently heating the water. I was given eye drops to apply but that is not working well as the hit rate appears to be around 25% with the remainder running down my cheeks. If you want me to give you the name of the eye drops, please ask.

Mumsy Sat 15-Oct-16 11:10:03

have you tried using a screen filter when sat at the computer? I use hypromellose eye drops I find them very soothing.

GrAnne2 Sat 15-Oct-16 11:13:16

Definitely interested in the name of the drops as I've tried quite a few! I was told that the heated eye bag delivered more constant heat than the wet compresses & optometrist advised using twice a day followed by massage yet ophthalmologist said no more than 5-7 times per week followed by little manipulation as it 'slackened' the eye lids & put pressure on the eyeball!

GrAnne2 Sat 15-Oct-16 11:15:11

Will check out eye drops, mumsy, thanks. Screen filter interesting too but not sure I spend that much time on the iPad

GrAnne2 Sat 15-Oct-16 11:17:03

Just checked - can only use preservative free drops, unfortunately

harrigran Sat 15-Oct-16 12:02:37

I use to buy tiny tubes of artificial tears, from Boots, they helped.

Greyduster Sat 15-Oct-16 12:14:58

My optician recommended artificial tears night and morning, and I have to massage my eyes first thing or I feel as if someone is trying to rip the front off my eyeball!

Linsco56 Sat 15-Oct-16 12:23:42

I had a similar problem when I was working and spent the greater part of the day staring at a laptop while wearing contact lenses. I mentioned it at a contact lens check up and was told I had an incomplete blink and to stop wearing contact lenses when working at a screen. The problem has much improved since I have retired and I can wear my contacts for most of the day. Hope you find a solution to your problem as dry eyes are very uncomfortable.

GrAnne2 Sat 15-Oct-16 12:59:37

Thanks for your feedback everyone - I've read so much on the internet & am losing faith in the professionals (eyesight is such a precious thing and permanently uncomfortable eyes cause additional stress). I think I will contact a traditional Chinese medicine practitioner to see what they say. If anyone has direct experience of TCM, I'd love to hear their opinion.

grandma60 Sat 15-Oct-16 17:14:53

My ophthalmologist also recommended the MGD eye bag and massage to be done daily. I also use Hylo Tear preservative free eye drops which luckily I get on prescription as they are expensive. Also the fish oils. My problem is partly the drops that I have to use for glaucoma. Working in an air conditioned office hasn't helped either. I find my eyes are better when out in the fresh air but need to wear sunglasses to protect from the wind and glare from the sun! All of this does help but unfortunately nothing stops the dryness completely.

GrAnne2 Sat 15-Oct-16 20:40:17

Thanks v much Grandma60 - will check out drops. Sorry to hear of your own eye problems & hope your comfort improves.

Chrishappy Sat 15-Oct-16 22:23:26

I too have dry eyes.Optican told me to use a warm wheat pack on my eyes for 5 mins every morning and evening, I also use viscotears at night,it's a gel that is cooling and replaces tears

Charleygirl Sat 15-Oct-16 22:33:01

I have ordered a cheapish eye pad via Amazon to heat in the microwave- a lot easier than faffing around with boiling water waiting for it to cool etc. The eye pad will come tomorrow.

Iam64 Sun 16-Oct-16 07:48:50

Use liquid or gel moisturisers at least four times a day. Avoid smokey atmospheres. Dry eyes are more likely to develop infections.

I'm wary of the Chinese medicine routes. You have no idea what is going into your body. Dry eye won't go away so the best thing to do imo, is to get into s routine and incorporate that into daily life. I find I can't swim without goggles and look like a professional swimmer, rather than someone who paddles slowly for a couple of lengths.

grandma60 Sun 16-Oct-16 08:00:19

Yes the microwavable eye bags are much easier than the faffing with boiling water. I noticed that Optrex have started doing disposable self heating pads. Too expensive to use all the time but would be good for going on holiday with.

PRINTMISS Sun 16-Oct-16 08:00:55

I have this, and find that if I use facial cleaning pads soaked in warm water first thing in the morning, just gently massaging the eyes, it helps. I found using the drops the hospital advised did no good at all after a while, and the overnight cream is useful if they eyes start stinging, but mostly the warm water pad gently massaged has been the one that has brought the most comfort

grandma60 Sun 16-Oct-16 08:27:30

That sounds a good idea Printmiss. I will try the pads.

PRINTMISS Sun 16-Oct-16 08:56:23

Another aid, grandma60 is to use baby shampoo, you can get it with conditioner combined, it is a really nice shampoo, and leaves my hair very soft.

harrigran Sun 16-Oct-16 09:31:18

Do you really use baby shampoo to treat your eyes ? Even baby shampoo stings.

Charleygirl Sun 16-Oct-16 09:42:40

I agree harrigran I would not put it or any other shampoo remotely near my eyes.

Craftycat Sun 16-Oct-16 11:25:54

I was told to use Systeme eyedrops. Expensive but good. It turned out that I had blocked tear ducts & with help of a heat bag & massage they cleared up very quickly.

DanniRae Sun 16-Oct-16 14:31:24

I was told by an eye doctor to use diluted baby shampoo. This is to clear out the debris between the eye lashes - can't remember medical name. I tried it just once but never again. Boots do a special cleansing gel to do the same and I had no problem with that. It is called BLEPHAGEL.

Faye Sun 16-Oct-16 14:59:59

My eyes used to be so dry I would press my fingers on my eyelids while I opened my eyes if I woke in the middle of the night. I find I am sensitive to what food I eat (too acidic) and have noticed if I eat too much food made with flour my eyes will be dry during the following night. I don't use drops but usually have a drink of a large glass of water with 1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda which relieves it fairly quickly. I have been taking a large glass of water with bicarb to bed every night for at least four years now, I drink it through the night and finish it off in the morning.

grandma60 Sun 16-Oct-16 15:23:29

I also use Blepaclean wipes after using the eye bag. They are probably similar to Blephagel. They seem expensive at about £8.50 a box but you don't really need a whole wipe each time. I cut them into pieces and put the rest back into the individual foil pack and seal it with a clip.
All this is a bit of a fuss but as my Consultant pointed out on my last visit, this is not going to go away.