Gransnet forums

Health

Breast dimple

(75 Posts)
Antonia Sun 22-Jan-17 23:40:39

I have found a small dimple on my right breast, it is scaring me! I am apt to panic over things, so I am telling myself it's probably nothing, in the hope that I will believe it. I am due to see my GP tomorrow anyway for a repeat prescription, but if I tell her, she is sure to send me for a mammogram, which scares me so much! Has anyone had the same thing, and how did it end up? I don't know if I should just ignore it and hope it goes away.

JessM Wed 25-Jan-17 18:42:59

It might not even be in hospital. Mine are done in the super-van parked in ASDA carpark. Extremely efficient with the latest equipment. In and out in 5 mins. They don't have room for a waiting area for more than one or two so they have to be slick.

grannypiper Wed 25-Jan-17 17:03:09

Antonia did you call ?flowers

Devorgilla Tue 24-Jan-17 21:36:24

Antonia, please do follow the advice of posters and get that check up. I thought I had dimpling and got referred immediately. Turned out to be nothing. I echo the strong advice to get all the free check ups going. I go for everything I am offered partly because I was born before the NHS and I am just so grateful we have these checkups today, fought for and won by previous generations, including some posters on here. Thank you all. 'Use them or lose them. '

cc Tue 24-Jan-17 16:16:52

Yes Niobe it is so important - my Aunt never bothered to go for mammograms and developed cancer in her 70's, from which she did not recover.

Niobe Tue 24-Jan-17 15:35:35

You are called for mammograms until you reach 70, after that you have to ask for one. Can I just emphasise how important it is to request one every 3 years? My lovely friend kept meaning to get one and at 75 was diagnosed with a very aggressive form of breast cancer. The outcome might have been very different if she had had her mammogram and caught it early.

Liz46 Tue 24-Jan-17 14:21:03

I have had some NHS appointments recently and they have all been on time and very efficient. The latest was a CT scan last Sunday and the doctor is phoning shortly to talk to me about it.

kathyd Tue 24-Jan-17 14:01:15

In the same area in France I have had very good and very bad medical experiences.
A friend who has returned to the UK has nothing but praise for the NHS after disastrous treatment for her husband in France, and treatment for herself since she's been back has been excellent.
Many other British friends also speak highly of the NHS so I don't think there is any need to feel 'at the mercy of the NHS'. If you aren't there experiencing it, don't knock it. Don't forget, the media only reports problems and negativity.

Bebe47 Tue 24-Jan-17 13:27:17

all good advice here - I am nearly 70 and have been for all the checks since I was eligible - they are free And not bad at all. Take a friend with you if you heed some support. I will continue to ask for free checks even when they stop sending me notifications - including smear tests. Don't forget those - just as important as breasts to rule out any cervical abnormalities!!

Luckygirl Tue 24-Jan-17 11:24:50

I would describe it as discomfort rather than pain.

JessM Tue 24-Jan-17 10:10:08

In all honesty, it can hurt a bit, if someone has tender breast tissue. But it's just a pinch for a few seconds and nothing to be scared of.

sue1169 Tue 24-Jan-17 05:18:41

Dont worry Antonia...mammograms DONT hurt....?

Antonia Mon 23-Jan-17 21:05:55

I'll ring for an appointment tomorrow Grannypiper for sure, and once again many thanks to you all.

grannypiper Mon 23-Jan-17 20:31:51

Enjoy some wine tonight

grannypiper Mon 23-Jan-17 20:31:23

So tomorrow you will phone oui ?

Theoddbird Mon 23-Jan-17 20:30:41

Have you never had a mammogram? You should have been having one on a regular basis for years. They are a bit uncomfortable but definitely not painful. The nurse does this all day long and will answer any questions you have. Get yaself to the doctors and tell her about the dimple.

Luckygirl Mon 23-Jan-17 20:17:04

Ring up tomorrow!!! Do not delay - no ifs, no buts!!

whitewave Mon 23-Jan-17 19:56:00

Get the mammogram done as soon as you can. Then you will know more or less for sure. I saw a consultant after 3 visits to the doctor who assured me she didn't think it was cancer and even the consultant said he was sure all was well but better get a mammogram done. And lo and behold!! Don't want to be a a scare monger, but no harm to be sure.

Ana Mon 23-Jan-17 19:50:34

I'm very glad for you Antonia, but quite astonished that the doctor could be so dismissive of the possibility of cancer!

Please do go for the mammogram to be on the safe side.

Antonia Mon 23-Jan-17 19:46:48

Thank you so much LeurMamie for your kind offer, and to all of you who have been such a massive support today. I am so touched by all your messages. You are a fabulous group of ladies.
Well, i've done it and I am just back from the doctor's. She looked at it, squeezed it and prodded it for a bit and then she said, "that's not cancer." I could have hugged her (but didn't). I have a prescription for a mammography so I will ring up and make an appointment for that very soon.
Thank you all again and I promise to stop whingeing now.

leurMamie Mon 23-Jan-17 19:12:21

Antonia, I sympathize with your worry about understanding/explaining in French, as well as the big worry of what might be revealed. I worked as an interpreter, mostly in health-related settings, before retiring, and people were so relieved when they realized they would be able to ask questions and have an explanation in their own language. My language is French so let me know if I can help. (I am also a breast-cancer survivor. Treatment has moved on in the last 20 years - but I hope you don't need it!)

annifrance Mon 23-Jan-17 19:09:14

I worked at the RCP and have the greatest respect for most medical and nursing personnel. The problem is the administration which is dire, inefficient and outdated. That is what scares me. And as the French system is so good and well managed the whole experience far less stress free and relaxed.

Lillie Mon 23-Jan-17 18:16:43

If any of you ladies living in France need some medical information translating, just pm me as I am a translator. The important thing is to get it written down, especially if you are returning to the UK. Lots of the terms are similar in both languages.

Deedaa Mon 23-Jan-17 18:13:45

Should have added that, although a friend of mine has had great treatment in France, there is nothing wrong with the NHS when it comes to cancer. DH may have a cancer that can't be cured, but I can't fault the treatment he's had along the way.

1974cookie Mon 23-Jan-17 18:12:49

Good Luck Antonia.
???
Don't forget that you have a lot of Gransnetters behind you, wishing you all the very best.
Don't forget to keep us updated as we are thinking of you smile x

Deedaa Mon 23-Jan-17 18:11:12

Coukd you not take your French friend to the doctor with you to help you explain?

I have been dealing with DH and his incurable cancer for nearly 7 years. Breast cancer, caught early, can usually be cured and I can promise you it beats the alternative of years of treatment.