Gransnet forums

Health

Breast dimple

(74 Posts)
Antonia Sun 22-Jan-17 23:40:39

I have found a small dimple on my right breast, it is scaring me! I am apt to panic over things, so I am telling myself it's probably nothing, in the hope that I will believe it. I am due to see my GP tomorrow anyway for a repeat prescription, but if I tell her, she is sure to send me for a mammogram, which scares me so much! Has anyone had the same thing, and how did it end up? I don't know if I should just ignore it and hope it goes away.

MawBroon Sun 22-Jan-17 23:46:39

What is scarier? A test? A diagnosis in time to do something about it? Or pretending it is nothing and finding out too late?
We all have this nightmare scenario, but think about it, if it is nothing, how much better to have that officially in writing!
Good luck - do the right thing for your own peace of mind. flowers

Nelliemoser Mon 23-Jan-17 00:10:36

Antonia As you are already scared, the best way of helping yourself here is to go and get it checked out.

Then you will know what is going on and if needed will be able to get some treatment. If you do nothing you will be worrying about it for evermore. The constant uncertainty is a dreadful drain on you.
I hope all goes well for you. More flowers

Antonia Mon 23-Jan-17 03:57:08

Thank you for replying, I will definitely tell the doctor when I go.

grannypiper Mon 23-Jan-17 07:15:53

Antonia dont bury your head in the sand, its a bit like believing that if you dont take a pregnancy test you cant be pregnant ! you know it has to be sorted today brew&cupcake
P.S we will be checking up on you to make sure you have rang the surgery grin

Grannyknot Mon 23-Jan-17 07:41:27

Antonia so far you've done everything right (identified something that needs investigating) so in order to get full marks you have to follow through and have it checked out.

I don't know how long it is since you had a mammogram but I hadn't been for 3 years and when I recently had one, the clinic had all new equipment and it was a breeze.

All the best.

Antonia Mon 23-Jan-17 07:48:39

Thanks Grannyknot and piper. I don't do mammograms, smears or any of it. I used to do them but haven't done them for at least 10 years. Tbh, the only times I have been ill I have been under stress and very little stresses me out more than tests. There is the test itself, then the waiting for results, then not knowing if the results are correct or not. But if the gp wants me to have a mammogram I will go because this is just freaking me out.

cornergran Mon 23-Jan-17 08:02:47

You must tell your GP antonia, listen to the advice and please accept it, this is one situation you can't ignore. Let us know how you get on, please.

sunseeker Mon 23-Jan-17 08:05:03

I agree with everyone else - get it checked! Until you know for sure you will be worrying anyway.

mumofmadboys Mon 23-Jan-17 08:23:50

Please don't tell the doctor when you go. Phone today and make an urgent appt. Dimpling of the skin may be an important sign. Wishing you well

Christinefrance Mon 23-Jan-17 08:27:17

Sunseeker is right, get it checked out. Worrying about things is often worse than dealing with the problem.
Good luck

Antonia Mon 23-Jan-17 08:34:50

I am due to see the gp tonight anyway, it is an appointment I made last week for a repeat prescription. It just happens that I found this dimple late last night so the appointment has fallen well, I will definitely tell her. Thank you all for the advice and I will let you know what happens.

whitewave Mon 23-Jan-17 08:46:19

antonia listen - I along with quite a few GNs are breast cancer survivors - and probably because we rushed off to the doctors as soon as we suspected a problem. Take a leaf out of our book and do the same, and don't get palmed off!!! Nag and nag and nag again if necessary.

There is support on here - make use of it if you feel the need.

Humbertbear Mon 23-Jan-17 09:15:10

Do get this checked out. One of my nipples has become inverted. This was noted at my recent mammogram. I had a simple biopsy and was given the all clear. Now I can stop worrying. Please go to your doctor.

Nelliemaggs Mon 23-Jan-17 10:04:37

Antonia please do tell your doctor and do go for that mammogram! My daughter and my sister have had several scares, done the mammograms, had one biopsy each and can go on with their lives without worry. I wonder are you scared of the mammogram or scared what it may reveal. I can't say having a boob squeezed by a machine is my favourite activity but it's over in no time and the same goes for biopsies. Were it to need further investigation then clearly the sooner the better. Good luck.

henbane Mon 23-Jan-17 10:12:36

Tell the doctor and insist on a mammogram - don't be palmed off with "Oh it's just a stretch mark" if it doesn't look like one!
This happened to me and by the time I eventually got referred it was beginning to spread, it was caught just in time but I needed more radical treatment than I would have done if it had been detected earlier.
Mammograms are painful but the alternative is worse.

margrete Mon 23-Jan-17 10:18:44

A dimple, that wasn't there before? Should you worry. Yes. Should you tell your GP? Yes. Should you get it checked out i.e. by mammogram? Yes, most definitely. What's to be scared of? Having a mammogram, or allowing something that may be easily treatable into something much more serious, and untreatable? I completely agree with henbane.

And why aren't you having regular 3-yearly mammograms anyway? I helped to pioneer these back in the 70s and I still have one, although now they don't send an appointment, I have to ask. Mammograms have saved countless lives.

MinniesMum Mon 23-Jan-17 10:20:19

Please do go for a mammogram. It really is a piece of cake these days with the modern machines. I will have regular checks for the rest of my life. In 2006 I got a negative result and had to see a hospital consultant. She had a good poke around and then got the scanner out which showed a huge dark mark. She said that she thought it was a cyst as she couldn't feel a lump and would I like it removed. I watched on the screen as the needle went in and that horrible brown mark just slowly disappeared into the needle. Relief doesn't come in to it - I bawled my eyes out all the way home and my husband was a bit tearful too. I did ask her if it might have turned into a tumour and she said it was likely. She also asked me if I had been on HRT which I was for about 4 years. I asked if there was any connection and she said she couldn't be sure but research was beginning to go that way.
PLEASE PLEASE be brave and deal with this. Peace of mind and freedom from worry is everything!

merlin Mon 23-Jan-17 10:22:29

Please, please get it checked. IF you need treatment the sooner it is done the more positive the outcome. When I discovered a problem I waited until after Christmas before seeing my GP and it was the most worrying few weeks ever. Unfortunately my worry was confirmed but 5 years later I am still here and am hoping this years check up will be my final one.

KatyK Mon 23-Jan-17 10:25:26

I found a lump once. I too was terrified. I went to the GP and he arranged an appointment at the breast clinic the following week. The waiting was dreadful. They did an ultrasound and it turned out to be a cyst. Get it checked. I'm sure you'll be fine.

nipsmum Mon 23-Jan-17 10:45:08

My sister found a breast lump, got it checked and now following a mastectomy 40 years ago, is looking forward to her 82 be birthday. My neighbour found a lump in her breast and chose or was scared to see her doctor. By the time her doctor saw her 6 months later it was too late and she died aged 43 years. Get it looked at today. What is scary about a mammogram?????.

marionk Mon 23-Jan-17 10:47:11

Neither smears not mammograms are pleasant experiences BUT then neither is dealing with cancer, so go and get checked

JessM Mon 23-Jan-17 10:49:59

I had a cancerous lump removed 20 years ago. It's a very curable disease if diagnosed early.
Mammogram staff are brilliant and know what they are doing. The machines pinch for about 10 -20 seconds and they are much better designed these days - rounded plastic edges! (my first mammogram was with 2 square metal plates with unforgiving edges).
Having a mammogram in terms of discomfort is nothing compared to having one's teeth scales by the hygienist.
As we get older nearly all of us need to have some tests done of some kind. We are so lucky that we have the NHS and it's great staff to do them.

hulahoop Mon 23-Jan-17 10:51:27

Like white wave I had b cancer please get it checked a mammogram is uncomfortable I agree but it's not that bad hope all goes well .

Antonia Mon 23-Jan-17 10:55:58

Yes I will have the mammogram if my GP suggests it. I will write again tonight after I have seen her. I suppose part of the problem is that we live in France and I am never absolutely sure that I have explained things correctly, or if I understand the GP exactly or if I have misinterpreted what she has said. I get regular test results for my diabetes but again, apart from the figures, I don't trust my French to interpret the results. We will be moving to the UK later this year which I can't wait to do. I will be relieved to be able to explain myself in English.