Gransnet forums

Health

Hungry

(42 Posts)
morethan2 Mon 23-Jan-17 19:22:06

I don't know why but today I've been really hungry. I don't seem to be able to feel full. I've ate twice as much as normal including a banana sandwich and I haven't eaten one of those for years. Honestly I'm sure I could eat a horse. What causing it? I'm not on a diet. Just as well because I'd have failed spectacularly. Anyone else had a day like that

M0nica Wed 25-Jan-17 16:29:12

There is a serious disability that includes unrestrained eating called 'Prader-Willi Syndrome, but in that case it is linked with learning disabilities and other problems.

This scientist's research seemed to be dealing with otherwise normal people with problems of appetite control.

Jalima Wed 25-Jan-17 14:51:04

We met someone many years ago who had problems with their DD and food. They had a lock on the food cupboard and a chain and padlock round the fridge to try to prevent her over-eating but she was still extremely obese. I now wonder if she had a complete lack of leptin as mentioned in that programme, and if so I hope she has been able to have treatment for it.

gretel Wed 25-Jan-17 14:43:31

I've just listened to this. Very interesting. I find I am more hungry from morning to mid afternoon. I do have a small evening meal but rarely snack during the evening or before bed.

Jalima Wed 25-Jan-17 14:15:31

That was extremely interesting.

Jalima Wed 25-Jan-17 13:10:33

Thanks M0nica
I will try to find that.

M0nica Wed 25-Jan-17 13:07:05

there was an interesting programme on Radio 4 last night. In The Life Scientific Frank Fureidi interviewed Sadaf Farooqi who has devoted her life to researching genetic disorders that cause obesity.

Most of them relate to appetite control rather than metabolic disorders. In the light of this thread, well worth listening to the podcast.

Jalima Wed 25-Jan-17 12:55:06

I have been fairly constantly hungry since I was about 12 (except immediately after a good meal of course) having been a very picky eater as a young child.
The only time I didn't feel hungry all the time was when I was on some medication which did not agree with me at all - however, I did slim down fairly rapidly to a size 10!

LadyGracie Wed 25-Jan-17 11:58:40

No, it's definitely because I'm a pig!

daphnedill Wed 25-Jan-17 10:06:50

I agree with Nellie. Constant hunger is one of the classic signs of diabetes, although it has other causes. If insufficient insulin is being produced, blood glucose can't get into the cells, including the brain. However, if it's only one day, don't worry.

The reason for craving carbs when stressed or tired is part of the body's 'fight or flight' response. Stress and sleep deprivation mess around with the production of hormones.

Anya Wed 25-Jan-17 09:22:51

If it's only one day then I wouldn't worry Nellie

M0nica Wed 25-Jan-17 09:09:14

I crave carbs, when I am tired, stressed, not feeling well or, as now, when it is very cold.

I find the thing is to eat tactically when I feel like this. Not just nibble on something and hope the feeling will go away, because it doesn't and you end up nibbling all day. Instead I have a large bowl of cereal, or a slice of cheese on toast or eat a planned meal an hour or so early. It usually works.

I rarely feel like this for more than a few days, so the effect on my weight is minimal.

Helmsley444 Wed 25-Jan-17 01:17:41

Morethan.Its is the cold weather.Since the cold snsp hit i hacent been able to stop eating.For more than a year i wax off gluten and sugar and most processed food .I lost 2 stone.Recently in the last 2 mths im back on all of above .Im eating wheat chocolate Ive out on 9 lbs.Roll on spring

Nelliemaggs Tue 24-Jan-17 22:58:08

I'm tall and thin and always hungry and thirsty, but put it down to Diabetes. I read it somewhere online but have no idea if it is true or not. The Diabetes is true unfortunately. If it continues morethan2 it might be worth checking it out.

Legs55 Tue 24-Jan-17 18:20:14

I always find I'm hungry when the weather's cold. When I'm tired I also eat more, probably because I'm bored & can't be bothered to get up be active

Jalima Tue 24-Jan-17 17:10:43

tanith lucky you!

It never works like that for me.

And I am always hungry

Battersea1971 Tue 24-Jan-17 17:01:29

What drugs are you taking, I think some stimulate your appetite. When I was on steroids I couldn't stop eating, just never felt full.

Aepgirl Tue 24-Jan-17 15:48:00

I usually find that when I am forever hungry, I 'go down' with a cold a couple of days later. Hope this doesn't happen to you!

Disgruntled Tue 24-Jan-17 15:15:38

Just back from work: the most appetising thing in the canteen was a chip butty with tomato ketchup, being eaten by one of the health professionals. I nearly stole it.

LadyGracie Tue 24-Jan-17 13:05:00

I'm afraid I'm always hungry, my DH says I'm a pig! I am

Lindill49 Tue 24-Jan-17 12:05:18

I find I'm always more hungry if I haven't slept well. There's a scientific reason apparently- your body produces more ghrelin (the hunger hormone) if you're sleep deprived.

Elrel Tue 24-Jan-17 11:57:36

I agree with roses and others who think it's the weather! Last week I went back to SW, had only gained 3lb over 10 weeks absence - phew!!
Trying hard this week to lose those 3lb but it's cold!! Porridge helps, mine half milk half water with cinnamon and sweetener, sometimes fruit too.

marionk Tue 24-Jan-17 11:36:48

Wish I could have an eat less day!

Jane43 Tue 24-Jan-17 11:14:37

If it continues perhaps you should ask to have your thyroid tested; a hyperactive thyroid can make you very hungry.

Lilyflower Tue 24-Jan-17 11:05:51

Perhaps you are suffering some vitamin or mineral deficiency and your body might be 'telling' you to rectify the problem. I know I am in need of vitamins C and D at the moment and am going to buy some multivits. Otherwise, the cold winter weather needs extra fuel to keep us warm.

I should wait for the hunger pangs to pass and if they don't, go and see the doc to get it checked out.

rosesarered Tue 24-Jan-17 10:55:18

Now that's my kind of diet tanith smile