Gransnet forums

Health

Hungry

(41 Posts)
morethan2 Mon 23-Jan-17 19:22:06

I don't know why but today I've been really hungry. I don't seem to be able to feel full. I've ate twice as much as normal including a banana sandwich and I haven't eaten one of those for years. Honestly I'm sure I could eat a horse. What causing it? I'm not on a diet. Just as well because I'd have failed spectacularly. Anyone else had a day like that

cornergran Mon 23-Jan-17 19:32:12

Usually when I'm upset about something morethan, I think you've had some upsets recently, could that be it? I sometimes wish stress would kill my appetite, sadly it has the opposite effect.

dahlia Mon 23-Jan-17 19:44:09

Apparently there are all sorts of things going inside us which decide whether we will have a hungry day or just feel "normal". I read an interesting article on this the other day, needless to say I have forgotten where and the exact science, but it made sense at the time!

Wheniwasyourage Mon 23-Jan-17 19:49:19

If you've had a hard time recently, perhaps you haven't been eating as much as usual and today your body has decided to make up the deficit. Just an idea. Have another banana sandwich - you can feel them doing you good!

rosesarered Mon 23-Jan-17 22:42:39

Have a fried banana sarnie .....there's a thought.
It could be the very cold weather that's the culprit.

morethan2 Tue 24-Jan-17 06:37:30

I thought that it may be because it's been cold rosesarered that's I wondered if anyone felt the same. Feel a bit on the bloated side this morning. I'm not surprised though. I probably put on half a stone.

Bellasnana Tue 24-Jan-17 06:48:50

I'm doing Dry January and find myself scoffing anything sweet and calorie-laden when I would normally be imbibing my 'glass or two'. Roll on 1st Feb.grin

Christinefrance Tue 24-Jan-17 08:29:25

Eating for 2 morethan2 ? grin

RufusG Tue 24-Jan-17 10:27:43

If you eat carbs and sugar you will want more and feel hungry

If you eat protein you will probably not feel so hungry

If your hunger becomes long-term and serious it may indicate a hormone imbalance. Then it may be time to see your doctor or a Nutritional Therapist from BANT

Kim19 Tue 24-Jan-17 10:34:54

When I experience this repeated hunger 'thing' I pander to it with a couple of teaspoons of unadulterated Greek yoghurt. A message of relief seems to come from my brain (that again!) 'Relax. Food's coming' and the pangs subside. Yep, I'm obviously a mental wreck! Seems to work though.

schnackie Tue 24-Jan-17 10:35:31

I have been dry since 1st Jan but have additionally cut down almost all cards except for porridge in the morning. Yesterday I found I was starving and scoffed a whole pizza! I think our bodies send us messages! smile

schnackie Tue 24-Jan-17 10:36:01

CarBs

rozina Tue 24-Jan-17 10:38:25

I think when it's very cold you tend to eat more!

rosesarered Tue 24-Jan-17 10:40:50

I have had a huge croissant with an equally huge dollop of lemon curd with it and a chopped banana for brekkie.blush

tanith Tue 24-Jan-17 10:48:00

I have been eating like a horse for the past 10 days or so whether its the cold or not I have no idea I've eaten fried breakfast more often, stodgy puds and cakes but having weighed myself this morning expecting to of put on pounds at the very least I find I weigh slightly less than I did 3wks ago, how does that happen? Maybe if I stuff my face enough I'll actually lose the stone I need to lose without depriving myself grin

Mauriherb Tue 24-Jan-17 10:55:18

I occasionally have days when I'm really hungry and I find that a bowl of porridge sorts me out ! It's warm and filling and you can add honey and cinnamon to add flavour

rosesarered Tue 24-Jan-17 10:55:18

Now that's my kind of diet tanith smile

Lilyflower Tue 24-Jan-17 11:05:51

Perhaps you are suffering some vitamin or mineral deficiency and your body might be 'telling' you to rectify the problem. I know I am in need of vitamins C and D at the moment and am going to buy some multivits. Otherwise, the cold winter weather needs extra fuel to keep us warm.

I should wait for the hunger pangs to pass and if they don't, go and see the doc to get it checked out.

Jane43 Tue 24-Jan-17 11:14:37

If it continues perhaps you should ask to have your thyroid tested; a hyperactive thyroid can make you very hungry.

marionk Tue 24-Jan-17 11:36:48

Wish I could have an eat less day!

Elrel Tue 24-Jan-17 11:57:36

I agree with roses and others who think it's the weather! Last week I went back to SW, had only gained 3lb over 10 weeks absence - phew!!
Trying hard this week to lose those 3lb but it's cold!! Porridge helps, mine half milk half water with cinnamon and sweetener, sometimes fruit too.

Lindill49 Tue 24-Jan-17 12:05:18

I find I'm always more hungry if I haven't slept well. There's a scientific reason apparently- your body produces more ghrelin (the hunger hormone) if you're sleep deprived.

LadyGracie Tue 24-Jan-17 13:05:00

I'm afraid I'm always hungry, my DH says I'm a pig! I am

Disgruntled Tue 24-Jan-17 15:15:38

Just back from work: the most appetising thing in the canteen was a chip butty with tomato ketchup, being eaten by one of the health professionals. I nearly stole it.

Aepgirl Tue 24-Jan-17 15:48:00

I usually find that when I am forever hungry, I 'go down' with a cold a couple of days later. Hope this doesn't happen to you!