Gransnet forums

Health

Glucosamine works . Agree or Disagree?

(41 Posts)
Cherrytree59 Thu 26-Jan-17 18:44:46

Having just read the vitamin thread, I was surprised that some GNers did not think that Glucosamine worked
My DH has been taking Glucosamine Chondroitin for elbow joint pain for about 3yrs.
He had a break for a few weeks but started taking it again when the pain became unbearable.
My BiL takes G & C for knee pain caused by jumping in & out of a lorry cab. (He says that as long as he takes it daily he is in no pain)
I know of two people who have taken Glucosamine whilst waiting on hip operations
As for myself I took Glucosamine Chondroitin for ankle pain
It helped me considerably.

So I say Glucosamine works

RobertReny Thu 16-May-19 10:50:01

I’ve been taking Glucosamine for joint pain and it has been is really helpful for my right knee. It is a proven supplement for joint pain. Not only osteoarthritis, Glucosamine also lowers the risk of cardiovascular disease.

Source - www.myhealthyclick.com/glucosamine-supplements-may-reduce-risk-of-cardiovascular-disease/

Anya Sat 28-Jan-17 15:38:25

I've been doing a bit of research. It seems that not all supplements contain the amount stated, in fact the majority don't. There has been more promising results for knees than for hips. And many vets think they are worth trying on cats ? and dogs ?.

Jane10 Sat 28-Jan-17 13:31:52

It was the combination of glucosamine and chondroitin in the optimal doses that the Mayo clinic doctor said worked. Neither on their own was much use.

goose1964 Sat 28-Jan-17 10:53:16

I was reading up on this and medical trials have both proved it works and that it doesn't. There are 2 types and it seems one helps and the other doesn't

Teetime Sat 28-Jan-17 10:45:51

My SIL was a biochemist at the MRC Bone Research Lab in Cambridge for a number of years studying arthritis and osteoporosis. One of their research projects focused on the effects of Glucosamine -0 results - no evidence of any measurable benefits.

Anya Sat 28-Jan-17 08:26:22

I should hope so! Red Rum's been dead for years.

Menopaws Sat 28-Jan-17 07:30:01

I took it for knees and it was brilliant, it was powders given to racehorses so I can now run faster than red rum!

Azie09 Fri 27-Jan-17 23:10:35

Someone on GN recommended a product called Joint Assure, sold by Boots that contains glucosamine and chondroitin was well as vitamin C etc. I've found it very helpful for my knees.

Menopaws Fri 27-Jan-17 18:48:20

Definitely works but get good brand like solgar, it has to be a good brand and a good strength

Iam64 Fri 27-Jan-17 18:42:28

I suspect Nellie is right in saying so much of it is down to individual responses, as it is to more orthodox medicines. I wear one of those magnet type bangles and do feel it helps. Friends use the collars on their old dogs/horses and swear by it. Same with turmeric and G and C. (not G and T, even though it's Friday)

Jalima Fri 27-Jan-17 16:56:34

I suppose green lipped mussels could be the same then hmm

Top comes the extract from chillies?

BlueBelle Fri 27-Jan-17 16:55:18

Nannyandgrampy my mum who had lots of arthritis took green lipped mussel and swore it helped a lot I now have her arthritisy joints the price has put me off trying it Mind you I ve just wasted £7 on Volterol12 which has had no effect at all so I ought to give it a go

tanith Fri 27-Jan-17 16:49:44

Jalima I had no idea about the shellfish link it didn't seem to affect me while I was taking it thank goodness.

Jalima Fri 27-Jan-17 16:06:43

I find that glucosamine makes me worse.
It may be because I have a slight allergy to shellfish (not dangerously so but eating prawns can bring me out in itchy lumps)

Anyone with a shellfish allergy should avoid glucosamine.

Anya Fri 27-Jan-17 15:34:04

I thought this from Arthritis Reseach UK was worth a look.

Cunco Fri 27-Jan-17 12:31:50

I began taking tablets on the advice of my family when I started long distance jogging late-ish in life. To date, I've had no joint issues but I don't know if the tablets have made a difference.

I've recently resumed training for a couple of half marathons and have omitted the tablets. So far, I've noticed no difference.

When I asked my GP, he said the tablets would do me no harm but would go no further than that.

Anya Fri 27-Jan-17 12:24:01

It obviously works for some people and not for others.

I did however recommend it for a friend's border collie who was having trouble with her back legs. After just a few weeks she was squeezing under fences and climbing over styles on her walks. Co-incidence? Maybe but then again maybe not.....and certainly not the placebo effect!

Nelliemoser Fri 27-Jan-17 11:55:53

Different "medications" work differently on different people depending on their own body chemistry and their genes.

This idea is becoming increasingly acccepted by the medical profession and is being tested to try and tailor medications to suit an individuals particular DNA.

Jane10 Fri 27-Jan-17 11:51:11

Interesting NanaandGrampy

NanaandGrampy Fri 27-Jan-17 11:26:22

One thing that I have tried worked , and that's green lipped mussel extract. We bought ours from Boots at the time. Apparently Maori people have a very low incidence of joint issues and scientists deduced it was down to a diet which contained green lipped mussels.

I first heard about it in the 90's , and used it at first for an arthritic dog! Seeing the improvement in the dog ( a breed that had joint issues) , my husband decided if it was good enough for the dog he would try it smile ( it is tested for human consumption) .

He too, felt a great improvement in his joints and has continued to this day . It's not cheap but certainly, we actually saw how much better the dog was and my husband has very little joint pain at all.

harrigran Fri 27-Jan-17 10:52:40

My sister swore by them but has more joint pain since taking them, hardly a walking advert. She suggested I tried them but I told her I wasn't ingesting ground sea shells on her say so.

Niobe Fri 27-Jan-17 09:19:58

On a word of caution, my friend asked her GP about taking it and was told that it was not recommended unless her blood sugar was normal as it raised blood sugar levels. With so many older people being Type 2 diabetics it is probably better to be wary.

Mumsy Fri 27-Jan-17 09:10:38

I found them of no use at all, I did ask my pharmascist wether they are of any benefit for osteo arthritis and he said they werent and were a waste of money. As others have said the 'placebo' effect.

Jane10 Fri 27-Jan-17 08:48:44

I can't remember the dosages. I heard about it from a senior medic at the Mayo clinic who was talking about osteoarthritis. I tried them after that and, certainly, my OA was kept at bay. Eventually I stopped. The latest bottle of pills ran out and I just didn't get any more. No excuses -I forgot.
OA back with a vengeance!!

Iam64 Fri 27-Jan-17 07:56:46

My rheumatologist is someone whose research evidence I listen to. She suggested I stop taking G and C because there was no research to support it being useful for me and it was yet another thing for my kidneys to be working on.