Gransnet forums

Health

So, I'm having a knee replacement...

(77 Posts)
NfkDumpling Thu 16-Feb-17 09:53:34

Yesterday, I took the plunge. My doctor had suggested a one off private appointment with a knee consultant to get his opinion on my knee as, although the waiting time for an NHS op isn't bad around here, actually getting on the list is somewhat of a challenge. Inevitably I've ended up using money from my Dementia Care Fund and am booked in at Spire hospital on 20 March. We are booked to go away on holiday on 25 April. In our caravan. For two weeks.

So I need advice from all you nice people who've had knee replacements. Will I be able to go? I know the 'van is comfortable enough (it's only a couple of years old and has all mod cons) and I should be able to manage the steps, but will the knee be healed up enough to not need dressing changed and stuff like that? Are there post op appointments which need to be kept? I assume I'll still be swinging along on crutches a lot of the time but I should have got the hang of them by then!

Elrel Tue 21-Feb-17 19:27:38

Charleygirl: My new knee joint is a Vanguard I was told, with the comment 'I don't know where they get these names from!'

It was a registrar I saw today, he was happy with everything and said they'll next see me in three months. Strongly suggested I get more regular exercise, swimming, walking and continue with physio exercises. Such a relief to be told that my flexion is now acceptable! Tomorrow I'll see a physio again, I've 3 more knee class sessions and I'm wondering whether to have 4 more private hydrotherapy sessions as they do make me feel good.

Jane, I shan't need MUA. I hope your bus trip was uneventful!

Elrel Tue 21-Feb-17 19:42:46

Shysal - thank you, interesting link.

GrannyA11i Tue 21-Feb-17 20:55:23

It might be better to wait and see how you are post op. I had one in August 2015 and had horrendous pain at night which stopped me sleeping well for weeks - I was walking well within few days but I had a much worse bend than pre op. My knee hurt on and off and I went downstairs like a child until October 2016 when suddenly all pain went and it bent just enough to go downstairs normally. I can now walk for ages and no pain but I can't crouch or kneel or bend it more than about 100. I was told that at 57 younger people often have more pain than older people!

annsixty Tue 21-Feb-17 21:06:48

This may well be true. I was 79 when I had mine in August last year. I was told by the registrar that patients with the worst scenario-stage 4 arthritis- had better outcomes.
I had a very good experience, as I can tolerate most drugs. I took all I was offered and the pain was easily managed. I was discharged on day 3 with cocodamol which was enough and my progress was really good. I would have the second one done tomorrow if it was, needed.

Jane10 Wed 22-Feb-17 07:38:47

I had 'end stage' arthritis which came as a big shock to me. I thought I just had sore knees but I'd just got used to it over the years.
The bus trip went well Elrel but it involved a lot of walking. Guess what? my other knee was very sore after it. Drat and double drat!

NfkDumpling Wed 22-Feb-17 08:19:59

Oh bums, Jane! One would expect a little respite time in between ops, a bit like childbirth you need time before the next to forget how bad it was for the first!

Jane10 Wed 22-Feb-17 08:43:10

Don't worry Nfk I'm not put off by the first TKR. I'm sort of resigned to it especially as I know what to expect now.

Elrel Wed 22-Feb-17 21:55:30

Jane10 Sorry about the sore knee. I keep ignoring my 'good' knee which gives me occasional twinges. Saw the physio today, he was pleased with my walking and flexion, like the registrar yesterday he emphasised that I should continue with the exercises.
A fellow patient who was still getting over her first TKR is having her second after 3 months. I'm now coming up to 4 months and wouldn't want another op yet.

Jane10 Mon 20-Mar-17 09:54:51

Today's the day for NfkDumpling's knee op! Altogether now -'good luck Nfk'
Keep us posted.

janeainsworth Mon 20-Mar-17 10:04:51

Good luck Nfk I hope it all goes well for you.

Elrel Fri 24-Mar-17 22:58:28

Hope things are going well for you, Nfk.

dollyjo Mon 27-Mar-17 12:21:19

I have just found this thread after looking for a different one!
I had my right knee replacement in February. I have no regrets at all.
Things I remember:
I would not pay privately because under NHS I was given a choice of hospitals. I chose Barlborough which is an 'independent' small hospital used by NHS. The treatment, attitude of staff and care was as good as you would get anywhere. When in there, I found some patients had traveled miles because of the excellent reputation that it has.
I was in hospital for only one night and allowed to come home the following day providing I could climb a small set of stairs. I was told "good leg goes up to heaven and bad leg goes down.' I made it.
Exercise is the key to a good recovery. I purchased a recumbent static bicycle and used it each day until I managed a full circle. I now use it when watching my favourite 'soap' At first, I was told to do it only until I felt the pain and each day, I could see my improvement.
I was told to throw away my walking stick asap and before I felt reliant upon it. I was told that if I fell down my replacement knee would be stronger than my own knee. I can't remember when I stopped using my walking stick but it was soon after discharge.
I went swimming once the stitches were out and I could breast stroke using 1 leg! I can now do it with both in a fashion.
If you go abroad, I was told I would set the alarms off and the hospital has given me a card to prove I have a knee replacement. I have since been through airports and I haven't set off the alarms!
Things, I don't like.
I can't kneel down on my replacement knee.
I find shuffling out of low cars difficult.
I hate all of negative advice and horror stories I hear. my response is always "I bet they didn't do their exercises,"
By the way, I am almost 75yrs young and so not a Spring chicken.

Jane10 Mon 27-Mar-17 12:39:29

There's exercises and exercises though. Also timing is crucial. The knee needs to heal. You wouldn't dream of exercising a broken leg and this op involves 3 broken bones. Once healing is under way then gentle and appropriate exercise can be built up. Icing and elevation are vital to help reduce the inevitable swelling. You can't bend a full hose pipe so the same applies to knees.
I should say that I now know to hold back on exercise as I didn't. I ended up causing inflammation leading to adhesions and eventual manipulation under anaesthetic. The physio I had after the MUA was very experienced and gentle in her approach. Less exercise was very definitely the way I should have gone.
I'm fine now and glad to be getting my life back.

Cold Mon 27-Mar-17 18:06:59

I don't think it is fair to judge people's knee replacement outcomes without knowing a lot about why they had to have it in the first place and what type of knee replacement they have had. People who do their exercises with great dedication can still have poor outcomes because of issues outside their control.

I had to have a knee replacement following a very serious accident that destroyed my knee. I had to to have surgery with a revision prothesis instead of the usual kind ( a revision prothesis is usually used where a replacement joint has failed or become infected etc). It is more invasive than a traditional knee replacement as (in my case) 8 inch support stems are inserted into the femur and tibia to give more stability.

Recovery was very slow because of bone-marrow inflammation and despite doing all my exercises I have not regained full mobility because of nerve and muscle damage caused by the original accident.

Jane10 Mon 27-Mar-17 18:29:56

Ooph Cold that sounds awful. You poor thing. I hope you continue to regain mobility.

dollyjo Tue 28-Mar-17 10:03:10

Oh I've just remembered what the Consultant told me when he looked at my X-ray.
Consultant: How old are you?
Me: I'm 74 (thinking does he think its not worth doing it)
Consultant. That's good - replacements usually last only about 10 years!

Now there's a salutary thought. He obviously thinks I should prepare to meet my Maker during the next decade.

Jane10 Tue 28-Mar-17 12:34:42

Oh dear. How tactless. However, I gather that modern joint replacements are supposed to last up to 20 years. I certainly won't be putting mine under any stress by heavy duty sporting activities or even dancing!

margrete Wed 29-Mar-17 11:19:04

You'll certainly not need dressings. There will be a waterproof dressing over the wound line and the stitches/clips will come out on the 14th day. After that, no dressings at all, in the shower, just keep clean normally!

Elrel Tue 11-Apr-17 23:12:50

Phew - signed off by consultant today. New knee joint fine. Both hip and 'good' knee on other side are another story, I'll try to put off referral for a while. Losing some weight would help!
Nice smiley consultant was sympathetic about my other (irrelevant!) health concerns. I need a head scan and 'brain wave' to investigate possible TIA or seizure. I was so pleased to be discharged re the knee that I left smiling and have had a good day with smaller GCs. The garden Easter egg hunt went well!

Jalima1108 Tue 11-Apr-17 23:31:10

Congratulations Elrel. That sounds like very good progress if he is happy enough to sign you off.l Are you having physio at all?

It's difficult to lose weight when you are not very mobile, perhaps you will be able to move around more now.

Elrel Tue 11-Apr-17 23:43:15

No physio at present except that I'll keep up exercises and ice at home. It's just 5 moths so I'm very thankful. Occasionally carry my stick for short distances instead of using it! Have been more active than usual with GCs the garden the last few days too.

Elrel Tue 11-Apr-17 23:43:42

Months ?

Jalima1108 Tue 11-Apr-17 23:47:30

I found two walking poles useful (after a break, though, not a knee operation) and it could look as if I am walking along like a proper hiker which I am not. Someone gave me a folding walking stick but I prefer the two poles, although not in the supermarket where they could look a bit daft. The trolley comes in handy there.

Jane10 Thu 13-Apr-17 07:11:32

I've been discharged by the surgeon too. Am quite happy with my knee but, like Elrel, my other knee is becoming a problem. Will most likely need it replaced too but can't quite face that yet.
I use my stick if outside in an unfamiliar place or if there will be uneven ground or a lot of steps.
Airport assistance for a recent flight was extremely helpful. I could never have covered the distance between terminals in the time allowed otherwise.

NfkDumpling Thu 13-Apr-17 07:31:51

This thread popped to the top of my 'I'm on' list at the most perfect time! With Janes support I've been doing really well and have been chuffed to be walking at home without sticks after three weeks and only pain relief at night as the scar was tender.

But on Tuesday I went to see my sports masseur who sorts my back out. He did some gentle lymphatic drainage on my legs - but not as much as the physio had recommended the previous week. It's certainly taken the swelling down and a lot of the heat has gone from my knee but other bits of my leg are hurting now and it's sooooo stiff! Inevitable I suppose. I'm hoping it'll ease again as it's definitely been two steps forward and one back. I've got my pedal thing out from its hiding place in the cup boat one will go for a gentle pedal after my bath.

I'm not seeing physio until next Tuesday. I really feel I could have done with a bit more support, I think I only get the two sessions post op. Fortnightly intervals. Each case is so different and it'd be good to know what's right for me. It's been really good to read all your successful reports, that it will come right in the end. And that the thought of having a second knee done is just as daunting to you all as it is to me! Thanks All!