Gransnet forums

Health

Yesss 10,000 steps is bad for you!

(80 Posts)
grandMattie Wed 22-Feb-17 09:35:32

Have you seen in the press that 10,000 is now bad for you? It was lovely to learn that.

It would seem that the measurements were made on30 year old Japanese men in 1960. No-one, at least no scientist, sought to find out whether it was right or not. This was then added to all exercise apps, and is now "gospel". Hahaha grin
As a fit 70 year old, I probably do some 5000 on an average day, more if I am "exercising".
What do you GNs think?

Anya Wed 22-Feb-17 09:55:28

Draws up her chair and gets out the popcorn.

Welshwife Wed 22-Feb-17 10:03:38

Thank goodness that came out before I started!!

The cardiologist told me 20 mins walking a day was good - I try and do that but a bit faster that supermarket trot speed. Got to get going with it all again as been slacking over the winter!

harrigran Wed 22-Feb-17 10:13:26

I thought it must be rubbish, I used to wear a step counter and struggled to get anywhere near the 10,000 steps, even though I was on my feet all day and played badminton three times a week.

Luckygirl Wed 22-Feb-17 10:15:36

I knew it - I just knew it!! grin

KatyK Wed 22-Feb-17 10:17:05

Phew! There was a doctor on TV the other day who said Dry January does more harm than good. It's looking good folks smile

Swanny Wed 22-Feb-17 10:21:31

I think the 20 mins walking per day is much more realistic. I did 3 hours on Sunday, walking round beautiful Kew Gardens with the family, and thought that was more than enough for the week grin However, in order to keep the lungs and muscles active I did 30 mins on Monday and aim to do similar each day. That's unless it's raining of course ...

Anniebach Wed 22-Feb-17 10:22:09

So climbing the mountains every day isn't advised ? What a pity

Craicon Wed 22-Feb-17 10:42:46

I do a minimum of 10k steps a day (using a fitness band) and it has definitely improved my general fitness. I used to suffer from a weak bladder but this has improved hugely since I started walking.

On Saturdays, I do the local park run (5 km) and there are several ladies over 50 who started last year walking and now run most of the distance. Two of the ladies in their seventies who walk are much faster than some of the younger walkers.

Regular daily exercise is key to good health, I'm certain.

Badenkate Wed 22-Feb-17 13:09:35

I've always wondered how people find the time to do 10000 steps a day. I get nowhere near this normally - and to be perfectly honest, I find walking in general really boring! I used to enjoy going for a (slow) jog, and found that often it would clear my mind and solve problems, but I've never been able to do that walking. Hopefully, I'll get back to a state when I can start again. This has brightened my day immensely grin

2old4hotpants Wed 22-Feb-17 15:34:19

Reading this has really made my day!! The DDs gave me a fitbit for my birthday, I didn't want or ask for it but they obviously thought I needed it. It is like having a big brother watching over you - sending weekly reports about my pathetic daily steps total. I have sneakily left it at home at times, only to then regret it because that generally happens to be the day I end up taking more steps. Thank you, grandMattie, you have released me from it's tyranny.

Araabra Wed 22-Feb-17 16:08:41

I get exercise by walking instead of taking the car plus 30 minutes after porridge with toast, to burn it off, and 30 minutes before tea to bump up my heart.

Jane10 Wed 22-Feb-17 17:24:01

I'm so trapped by joint pain. If I exercise the way my heart/lungs need I damage my knees and hips! What can I do? I really never imagined being so disabled at this stage in my life (aged 62) Sigh. Feeling sorry for myself. Sorry allsad

grandMattie Wed 22-Feb-17 17:24:35

I'm so glad that most of you feel the same as me. I have a daily walk round the town walls - DH has just measured it and he takes 3360 steps confused Things men will do!
We reckon that we probably take about 6000 a day, what with going up and down stairs, going to the Coop for the forgotten bananas, etc.
So I think we are fit enough, without any extra stuff. grin Neither of us are on any pill whatsoever too. Healthy pair, us!!

ffinnochio Wed 22-Feb-17 17:45:33

Getting out and walking at a good pace is just good for general health. Or gardening. Or cleaning or any of the other activities one does on a day to day basis. Just move. Don't give a fig for how much or how long.

grannypiper Wed 22-Feb-17 18:05:01

Fitbits are a joke, my friends Daughter couldnt work out why she was doing so many steps even when she was stood still, it was because she was behind the bar pulling pints and as the fitbit was on her left wrist the count went up as she pulled the pints. What a con

ffinnochio Wed 22-Feb-17 18:22:00

grin. gp

Nelliemoser Wed 22-Feb-17 18:26:53

I walk into the centre of our small town quite often, about 15 to 20 mins. The more I exercise the more my worn out back joints complain. I feel that while I do excercise I do not want to wear them out any quicker than I need to and I can feel they have become steadily more worn over the last 10 years.

Jane10 Wed 22-Feb-17 19:57:18

My friend was given a Fitbit by her husband. He was really impressed at her activity levels. I wonder if she's told him yet-that she puts it on the dog's collar!grin

Maggiemaybe Wed 22-Feb-17 21:12:34

But what are the dangers and where are these press articles? I've not seen them and googling just brings up lots of advice about how good it is for our health.

Not that I ever manage it grin. I average around six or seven thousand by walking instead of riding for journeys of less than two miles, and making sure I get out in the fresh air every day. I do think it does me good. Running gave me back pain - I don't seem to have any ill effects from walking. I admire the 10,000 steppers and the ones I know are pretty fit.

Ana Wed 22-Feb-17 21:23:16

Weren't we both on a 10,000 step thread a couple of years ago, Maggie? I know I never got near the target but was there something about strawberry creams...Anya would know! grin

Maggiemaybe Wed 22-Feb-17 22:07:59

Indeed we were, Ana! I was so full of good intentions - but of course the spirit was willing and the flesh was very weak!

I don't understand your reference to strawberry creams. I'm sure that was nothing to do with me blush.

Ana Wed 22-Feb-17 22:32:02

No, I think I must have got that wrong - but it's good news that we were all striving towards an unworthy goal, isn't it? grin

Maggiemaybe Wed 22-Feb-17 22:43:57

All I need now is for experts to decide that drinking some more water is bad for you and staring at screens until the early hours is good for you and I can abandon all three of my New Year resolutions. As you can see, I'm doing so well with the internet ban after 8pm. And what I have in my glass at the moment is not actually water grin

Ana Wed 22-Feb-17 22:53:26

Never mind, it's only February. You've got the rest of the year to work on the resolutions - I haven't even decided on mine yet! grin