Gransnet forums

Health

Suitable summer wear for continuing hot flushes and overheating

(15 Posts)
shysal Mon 27-Feb-17 09:09:07

I'm with you Izabella, it has been over 20 years for me too, although I was always a hot body even before the menopause. I wear loose sports tops which are breathable and wick away any moisture. Have you tried a spray bottle with fan attached, from Amazon or Ebay? I always have one to hand.

Chillow cooling pads in bed or on lap are helpful too. I tried a 1Tog duvet for a few weeks when the weather was freezing, but have removed it now and just cover myself with a sheet as before. Fortunately I live alone so can please myself with bedding and house temperature.

Izabella Mon 27-Feb-17 08:44:16

Scruffy not crucify!!! Not sure how that crept in. grin

Izabella Mon 27-Feb-17 08:42:42

After over 20 years of this I think I have perfected things for me personally!! V necks, no jumpers or cardigans. I have extremely thin full length zip fleeces ( that can be removed in a trice if needs be.). I find cotton retains the clammy feeling so only wear wicking tops. Thin summer weight trousers or skirts. Linen is not for me, I think it looks s crucify and creased, but I accept that many love it. This is all year round and not just summer. For those of you thinking "oh I could never wear that sort of thing everyday" then your flashes are just not that bad.

LIfesavers? Pocket fan, Japanese paper fan and spray bottle of water for face.

NonnaW Sun 26-Feb-17 11:58:05

I am the opposite to most people - I can feel cold/cool even when others round me are overheating! I was so lucky not to have much in the way of symptoms in the menopause, sympathies to all who are suffering.

vampirequeen Sun 26-Feb-17 10:33:51

Inside as little as possible (unless we have company lol). Outside things that are as lightweight as possible.

I react really badly to heat now. It's beyond uncomfortable.

Teetime Sun 26-Feb-17 10:14:46

I agree linen does work very well and you can get some that does crease quite as a much. I don't mind the creasing. Long floaty skirts are good too.

Charly Sun 26-Feb-17 09:52:50

Thank you so much ladies! I will certainly take your sugg'ns on board.

And immense compassion to fellow sufferers. (What a blow, Grannypiper!)

grannypiper Sun 26-Feb-17 09:45:05

I had a hysterectomy last year and after 5 months of "tropical moments" i started on HRT, what a blessing, the flushes completely stopped, oh how great that was. Fast forward 4 months and the HRT are gone, both myself and the Doctor never gave a thought to the DVT i had during my last pregnancy 20 years ago and after weeks of calf pain in the same leg that i had the DVT it finally clicked what it could be. The poor Doc went as white as a sheet when i reminded him and took me off the HRT there and then smiled and said "best you buy yourself a fan" it as now been 3 days and i am waiting for the first "tropical storm" to begin.

hildajenniJ Sat 25-Feb-17 23:01:31

I'm still having hot flushes twelve years on, although fewer they are still quite fierce. I wear floaty tunics and cotton trousers in the summer. I also have a couple of long hippy type skirts. Keeping cool isn't easy at any time of year.

LadyGracie Sat 25-Feb-17 22:55:26

I wore as little as possible through my hot flush episode and in the summer I still do, I think my thermostat is knackered!

rosesarered Sat 25-Feb-17 22:49:59

Look out for anything rather Indian-y, cotton trousers and cotton or linen tunics, floaty Summer dresses as long as possible, pretty and practical, ditto floaty hippy skirts.Hair if long-ish worn up off the neck.

Jalima Sat 25-Feb-17 21:47:58

If you exercise moisture wicking fabrics are good and they are, in fact, synthetic

Jalima Sat 25-Feb-17 21:46:53

Fine cotton lawn, linen and chambray not denim.
Loose fitting and flowing rather than anything tight and avoid tight waistbands.

I still get very hot years after the menopause and it is most embarrassing.

whitewave Sat 25-Feb-17 20:44:19

I always wear as far as possible natural materials. So linen and silk and cotton. I know linen creases but it doesn't matter, people will know it's linen and accept it for what it is. If they don't who cares!!!! As long as you are comfortable.

Charly Sat 25-Feb-17 20:35:35

Can any of Gransnet ladies please tell me how you manage (or did manage) to dress comfortably for the summer? I really dread it this year, still struggling with menopause 4yrs on from last period and so want to look and feel ok. Silk is pricy and not my normal textile but is it best for staying cool? Cotton is supposed to be good but it creases a lot. Any ideas?