Gransnet forums

Health

I am sooooooo tired

(33 Posts)
MawBroon Mon 27-Mar-17 10:20:38

The clock says 10, my inner clock says it can't be later than 6, I am so tired.
I drove us to London and back no problem yesterday but on the way home I had to pull over at a service station as I could feel my concentration and eyes "going". Quick caffeine fix and a small Kitkat and I was fine, but it worried me.
I can drop off the moment I sit down in front of the TV (well it is boring sometimes!) especially just after I have eaten. And I am putting on weight too despite no major changes in my eating habits.
Yes I am under a degree of strain because of DH's ongoing health problems and yes I have just turned 69 , but I have to psych myself up to get up and get on.
Diet? Health? I am not "fit" in walking or exercise terms, but healthwise, fit as the proverbial,flea.
Any suggestions?

HildaW Mon 27-Mar-17 10:21:53

Get tested for iron deficiency.

millymouge Mon 27-Mar-17 10:26:12

Get a thyroid blood check, I have problems with mine and if my Thyroxin dosage is not right I will feel desperately tired. Regular blood tests and right dosage and I feel fine. Might be worth considering.

hulahoop Mon 27-Mar-17 10:33:20

Sorry you are feeling so tired go to dr and get some blood tests as others have suggested are you diabetic ? Hope you feel better soon .

daphnedill Mon 27-Mar-17 10:35:56

Agree with hulahoop. Extreme tiredness and putting on weight with no explanation are classic symptoms of T2 diabetes.

Jayanna9040 Mon 27-Mar-17 11:00:51

It's the ongoing strain of being the one who has to do it all, probably. You're worn out. The one moment I lost concentration at the wheel was a while ago when I was ferrying husband back and forth from hospital, managing all the day to day house stuff, trying to do things with other members of the family......Just trying to do my best like you are. But yes go and talk to the doctor. Though maybe you just need a good rest flowers

Tippy22 Mon 27-Mar-17 11:28:00

I think you need to get checked out by your doctor to be on the safe side but I think maybe also you are having to do too much and need a jolly good rest. Easier said than done I know. My husband falls asleep as soon as he sits down and has even been known to close his eyes when we've been out for an evening (maybe he's trying to tell me something). He had various blood tests which were all fine. He's 65 this year and overweight and still commutes to London every day so I understand why he's permanently tired.

TriciaF Mon 27-Mar-17 11:33:48

Yes, a blood test is a good idea.
You're right to be cautious about driving when tired. I think that's why I had my accident last year. I was meant to drive my friend into the town today, but felt tired after a sleepless night so didn't go. Slept all morning.
As others have said, you've had all the responsibility for some time now.

annodomini Mon 27-Mar-17 12:51:27

I agree with the possibility of hypothyroidism. When I kept falling asleep and had a very near miss on the M6, I had a blood test that revealed that this was the problem. I have been taking Thyroxin for around 20 years. Dosage has risen from 25mcg for the initial dose to 100mcg at present. MawB, do see your GP and ask for the test.

M0nica Mon 27-Mar-17 15:50:20

When DH kept falling asleep and was permanently tired, it turned out to be Type 2 diabetes. First GP put it down to being 60 and still commuting up to London to work. Somebody advised me that one of the other GPs was less judgemental so he went to see him and I went with him. We got the right diagnosis with about 30 seconds of the consultation starting.

GrandmaMoira Mon 27-Mar-17 15:59:39

I think as others have said that you need to get checked by your GP as you could have diabetes or another health condition. It could also be doing too much. We like to carry on all day as we used to but do get more tired. I also find I don't feel right if I go too long without food - little and often is better, even a milky coffee.

cornergran Mon 27-Mar-17 16:27:04

The same thing happens to me mawb, but I have fibro and CFS, so there's a reason I get like that. Don't worry too much, it's not surprising when you think of the package of your life but do see the doctor, an MoT and blood test will do no harm. Be kind to yourself, any space for a treat? flowers, cupcake and if all else fails wine.

kittylester Mon 27-Mar-17 17:47:16

Good advice here, Maw, and I have nothing to add apart from saying 'look after yourself!'

Iam64 Mon 27-Mar-17 18:03:38

As kitty says Maw, there are some good suggestions health wise here. Never forget though, how much you give in caring for your OH, it's the emotional stuff that is exhausting, never mind all the practical stuff. Look after yourself x

Jalima Mon 27-Mar-17 18:56:56

I don't know, but years ago I gave myself a bit of a fright when I was driving along a very quiet stretch of motorway with MIL and DD who was quite young then. They had both fallen asleep after a 'hard day's shopping' and I must have gone for a few seconds because I felt the tyres running along those white rumble strips at the side - thank goodness for them.

As for tv programmes - a friend used to say 'that's another nice programme to fall asleep in front of'.

A blood test is a good idea and some tlc too. Some Vitamin D from the sunshine will soon be possible to (we hope).

Rinouchka Mon 27-Mar-17 19:02:56

I am sorry but not surprised, Maw, that you are so tired with all that you are having to deal with. Your symptoms, however, as some others have suggested, may indicate type 2 diabetes. Get yourself tested, pronto, girl! (Hugs)

Jalima Mon 27-Mar-17 19:04:32

too not to

merlotgran Mon 27-Mar-17 20:33:57

Try removing gluten from your diet. I was talking to my brother on the phone earlier and explained that I no longer eat anything containing gluten - we're going to stay with them at the end of April and he just laughed and said, 'Join the club. I didn't have the strength to knock the skin off a rice pudding. Now I'm fine.'

Might sound daft but it may be worth a try because it's so easy to do and no medication required.

rosesarered Mon 27-Mar-17 20:45:39

What everybody else says Maw ?

Jalima Mon 27-Mar-17 20:57:32

Rice pudding is gluten free btw smile

retrolady2 Tue 28-Mar-17 14:27:36

Oh dear Maw, tiredness on top of the other stuff you are dealing with, that's not good. I agree with everyone else on here - go to the doctor and request some tests. It may be 'just tiredness', but it will help you deal with it to know for sure. Worrying is exhausting in itself.

Meanwhile, are you able to get some early nights (even what others may think is ridiculously early)? I need to do that from time and there's nothing much wrong with me it helps.

Good luck. [café] It was going to be a cup-cake, but thought better of it. xx

retrolady2 Tue 28-Mar-17 14:27:58

That was meant to be a cup of coffee, but it didn't quite work.

annsixty Tue 28-Mar-17 15:30:45

Only just read this MawB you really do need to look after yourself whatever form that takes or who will look after you? I have the same feeling just sometimes, when it is all the time as you are experiencing action needs to be taken, so listen to your elders!!

tiffaney Wed 29-Mar-17 18:32:30

Definitely go for a blood test if only to rule things out. Coffee and kitkat not a good solution by the way in case it is type 2 diabetese.

nanniel Thu 08-Feb-18 17:14:38

Hidden depression could be the reason.
Try to take natural sedatives like Calmax. I stopped feeling tired after taking it.