Gransnet forums

Health

Living with someone with depression

(32 Posts)
seasider Sun 23-Apr-17 08:51:21

I have posted before about DP' s depression. He went to doctor who upped his medication and signed him off work. He has also been to group sessions about dealing with stress. He is quite happy being off work and,watching television all day. He has not gone out and taken exercise as advised by GP and after successfully cutting down his drinking ( at least a bottle of wine night but often much more) he is drinking again.He is due to return to work next week. We cannot afford for him to be out of work as we still have a teenage son at home and a mortgage. I had to support the family when he lost his job a few years ago and was out of work for a year so we have no savings.
We were visiting relatives last week and they asked if his job was making him depressed (low paid and fairly monotonous but not physical). He blurted out "no she is!" meaning me. I was very shocked as was his sister as I have been very supportive. I have tried really hard not to put pressure on him and to ignore the moods and nasty comments he makes to me and DS but I feel like walking out. Any advice anybody? Sorry for long post.

seasider Thu 27-Apr-17 11:22:41

Many thanks to everybody who has responded. It's helps to know there are people out there who understand the situation. DP now signed off for four more weeks! His work will try and find him less pressured role. He is not drinking at the moment so the mood swings seem less. He is going to try and get some counselling via work which may help. He seems quite bright this week but the nasty part of me thinks he just likes the idea of 4 more weeks off work! ( He is quite lazy generally). He did seem somewhat confused at the weekend but I think he was not drinking enough water. When I mentioned the confusion he rushed off to Google early onset dementia!
My thoughts are with all of you who are going through this or have had to deal with depression in the past . Thanks again for your support.

Luckygirl Thu 27-Apr-17 12:26:51

I am glad he is not drinking at present - did he tell the GP about this problem? I hope that there will be light at the end of the tunnel for you soon.

constance Sat 29-Apr-17 22:00:39

So hard for you seasider
I was talking to someone yesterday about her ex and the effect her had on her and her children and said I didn't know many women who hadn't have to cope with depressed husbands/partners! Now I've been trying to count up the ones who seem ok!! Is it an age thing? Do they hit 40 and fall apart? And they have to be dragged to the doctor and/or counsellor. Sorry probably not helpful but I suddenly felt really cross about it, for you and all the other women out there having to tiptoe around miserable grumpy men.

nannygreencar Sun 30-Apr-17 09:20:53

My youngest son (as an adult) had depression. When he was still living with me (he has moved out now), I found that it would be me who he took it out on. He has said some very unkind things to me in the past, although he would later one be so sorry and upset with himself for taking his anger/frustration/depression out on me. He actually bought me a book which I found very helpful - "Living with a black dog" by Matthew Johnstone. I hope this helps, as it can be just as painful and upsetting for whoever is living with someone who has depression.

Alielden Mon 01-May-17 04:53:40

Exercise. Regular exercise can be as effective at treating depression as medication. ...
Nutrition. Eating well is important for both your physical and mental health. ...
Sleep. Sleep has a strong effect on mood

NfkDumpling Mon 01-May-17 08:09:54

You're most certainly not alone Seasider. I too have the t-shirt. I was lucky when DH was at his worst as I was working at a mental health charity so had loads of support. Do ask your GP for details of support groups in your area as, besides supporting you, they can also advise on how to best handle situations and help you help him.

For my DH counselling worked best, but the Black Dog has never left completely and is still lurks occasionally behind his heels. (especially in January!)