Gransnet forums

Health

Blue badge

(47 Posts)
kezia Thu 04-May-17 14:14:46

After a mobility assessment last week I heard this morning that I'm eligible for a blue badge. I'm only 58 but I have a chronic condition that means my joints dislocate and that I fall over randomly (nothing to do with gin smile ). I've got real mixed feelings about it. It'll be invaluable on some occasions but I now feel old and knackered :-(

Galen Fri 05-May-17 12:14:57

I have the scooter, crutches and the blue badge
I have mobility alliance from DLA

Luckygirl Fri 05-May-17 12:16:49

I need to look into the criteria again.

I can walk a fair distance with my stick; but only a short distance without pain. I find downward stairs very hard.

My OH can sometimes walk reasonably well, but at other times, like today, he is in bed and can't manage even to have a shower. He goes OK for a short distance then is overcome with weakness. There is no way now that he could walk from a parking place to the dentist's for instance.

What is needed is for the criteria to take into account of fluctuations in someone's condition.

westieyaya Fri 05-May-17 12:28:12

I thought parking nearer supermarket doors would be ideal, however the convenient supporting trolleys are further away than standard parking in a space near the trolley bays

merlotgran Fri 05-May-17 12:32:16

You must be in with a good chance of getting one for your OH, Luckygirl. My mother was given the advice to 'imagine your worst ever day' when filling in the form.

DH was automatically given one when he was registered blind. I only use it when we are going somewhere crowded as he can see quite well straight ahead but gets confused if people are milling around him as he has no peripheral vision.

Empty disabled parking slots are as rare as hen's teeth around here though. People must get up at the crack of dawn to go shopping and stay there all day. hmm

jacig Fri 05-May-17 13:08:13

Media, I have had a badge for over 10 years now, I couldn't be without it. It enabled me to continue working for an extra 5 years as with it I could park outside my workplace. I was like you to start with but now I jump at anything that makes my life easy. Remember you are only as young as the man you hug, and I have two young grandsons who love hugs, that makes me about 3 1/2 years old at the moment.

jacig Fri 05-May-17 13:10:26

Dam spell check this was meant for Kezia.

SueDonim Fri 05-May-17 14:34:45

Cherrytree59 do apply for a BB for your mother. She may be awarded one because it's a safety issue for her rather than a physical problem. A friend has one for her severely learning disabled teenage son, because although he is physically top-notch, he has no understanding of danger or keeping himself safe.

Rosina Fri 05-May-17 16:54:06

Don't - you are far from old and you have an real inconvenience for which you can have some help. I would embrace the blue badge with glee and relish the relief it offers - hopefully you will then be able to enjoy a lot of events denied you if you have to walk for any distance; you may well feel and look younger without the strain of worrying that you might suffer a problem while you are out. Good luck to you kezia, and remember you can be young at heart whatever is going on with the body.

Maidmarion Fri 05-May-17 18:15:08

Look at It this way- you will now be able to park nearer the gin shop!!!!! ?

Esspee Fri 05-May-17 20:56:53

I too wish that badges were made available on a temporary basis to cover temporary disability. My OH had both knees replaced at the same time and for three months after the operation I yearned for a blue badge.

NfkDumpling Sat 06-May-17 07:34:05

DiL has a Blue badge and she's 36! She also looks quite fit so has a sticker in the car pointing out that not all disabilities are visible ones.

I wish there were temporary badges too. I did 'risk it' on a couple of occasions directly after my knee op and we parked in disabled slots at the supermarket - there were plenty of disabled spaces. I wasn't challenged I suppose because I was using elbow crutches but I was prepared to flash my scar!

NfkDumpling Sat 06-May-17 07:39:07

Come to Norwich Merlot. One car park (St Andrews) especially has nearly a whole floor of disable slots, always mostly empty and the others are quite generous too.

harrigran Sat 06-May-17 08:57:37

I could have done with a temporary parking pass after my operation, back and stomach pain made walking agony. If you don't have a wheelchair or sticks people think youmare swinging the lead.

Willow500 Sun 07-May-17 05:37:34

Well done on getting your badge - they are a godsend if you struggle to walk providing you can find a space. We had one for my mum when she could no longer walk before her dementia started and also was better for my dad when he started to struggle. It meant I could take them shopping and to the doctors etc and for appointments at the hospital but 9 times out of 10 there were no spaces at all in our hospital car park - disabled or not so that part was still difficult. Definitely apply for one Cherrytree on your mum's behalf. It doesn't mean you're old at all either - just enjoy the freedom it brings.

M0nica Sun 07-May-17 06:43:01

It will be good to know that someone parking in the disabled bays has a right to be there. Far too often they are occupied by shoppers 'just wanting to nip in quickly for one item', as I heard one say.

Chewbacca Sun 07-May-17 09:47:57

My OH recently applied for a Blue Badge. He had an accident 3 years ago that left him unable to walk more than a few yards and unable to climb stairs at all. He was adamant that he would not have a Blue Badge because it's was "confirming his disability and frailty". Following a nasty fall in the street that left him unable to get up without a lot of assistance from passers-by, he finally agreed to apply. We were both pleasantly surprised at how quick and easy the application was. From completing the online application, to receiving the badge, it took about 2 weeks in all. And what a difference it's made for him! He's able to get around on his own more now because he can park closer to where he needs to be and so it's actually given him more independence. I'd recommend anyone who is eligible to apply.

MOlly12 Sun 07-May-17 18:25:57

In our area once you become 80 you are entitled to a pass without any questions asked, I turned 80 at Christmas and applied for one and received it there and then .Now I'm making the most of it.

peterh29 Fri 31-Jul-20 18:57:53

6 years ago i was very kindly awarded a blue badge because of my spinal problems and chronic pain i live in every day,
Since having my blue badge it has given me so much more confidence as i knew if my back went into spasm whilst out walking i knew i could always get back into the car due to the space around the disabled parking bay.
I owe this success to the nhs and all the people who have helped me over the years and getting enrolled onto a pain management course in Oxford, which really helped me a lot. and of course my wonderful carer who still helps me today

annodomini Fri 31-Jul-20 19:28:29

When I was waiting for a hip replacement I could have done with a temporary blue badge. When I researched the matter, I found that if I'd been in Scotland I could have had one. Why did I not re-migrate?

BlueSky Fri 31-Jul-20 19:32:37

How why are ancient threads resurrected? hmm

Wedi Sat 08-Aug-20 17:45:16

I have RA and have had a blue badge for about twenty years .
This has to be renewed every three years . No two days are the same with RA - sometimes I’m reasonably mobile at others I can hardly move .
I have had ankle , knee and elbow replacements so when I complete the form I include all operations with dates and names of surgeons plus my own doctor so if it’s necessary they can be contacted . I have never been refused .
Next year I shall be eighty so I’m pretty sure that I won’t improve . I wish that once you have been granted a blue badge then at a certain age it should become mandatory , without all the form filling . I’m more than happy to pay the £10
When we travel on the continent ‘handicapé” spaces are excellent and no one without a blue badge would dare use them .
Here I inevitably find them occupied by delivery vans or people without badges who are “just popping to the post”.