Gransnet forums

Health

Sensitive teeth..ouch. Any help?

(23 Posts)
Nandalot Fri 19-May-17 19:37:32

I am feeling miserable with the pain from my teeth. About a month ago I had a dental check up. At that time, I told the dentist that my left jaw ached. It has become loose, clicks and is painful at times, I also asked him to check my right side back molars molars top and bottom. He said everything was fine, that my jaw wasn't bad enough to warrant any treatment but gave me an X-ray on all my teeth just to check. All clear. So why have my sensitive teeth become more and more sensitive. I lather the sensitive toothpaste on said teeth and leave for a minute or two before brushing. Cue excruciating pain. I have bought a sensitive mouthwash. Again toe cringing when I use it. I am now sipping cooled tea through a straw. Even tepid food hurts. And I am going on holiday tomorrow. Any suggestions? ( I have always suffered from sensitive teeth but this is worse than anything I have experienced). Right moan over.

Indinana Fri 19-May-17 19:49:48

Oh that sounds dreadful Nandalot. You have my sympathy - painful teeth is probably one of the worst things to have to put up with. I wish I could help you, but you are already doing everything that I would have suggested. I can't help thinking that your dentist has missed something - I would definitely go back when you come home from holiday. Or visit a different dentist to get a second opinion. Something clearly is not right.

I do hope someone comes up with something that might help you. And I do hope you manage to enjoy your holiday despite all this flowers

Alima Fri 19-May-17 20:44:06

Your pain sounds worse than mine from sensitive teeth but it may help to smear sensitive toothpaste over your teeth and gums and leave it overnight. Doesn't do much for the allure but it has certainly helped me in the past. Hope you find a solution soon.

Maggiemaybe Fri 19-May-17 21:14:43

I switched toothpaste. Ordinary Sensodyne used to work well for me, but now the only toothpaste that helps is their ProNamel. Do you always use the same one?

rosesarered Fri 19-May-17 21:19:31

Nandalot I have sensitive teeth too, the thing that worked ( bizarrely) was switching to a toothpaste that wasn't for sensitive teeth.No more Sensodyne for me, I use any Colgate now and am fine.

Nandalot Fri 19-May-17 21:25:42

Thank you all for your sympathy. I used to use sensodyne but when I started with this horrible bout I did some internet searching and found some people have been having trouble with the new formula so am now using Colgate Sensitive. I do smear the toothpaste on and leave but only for a minute or two. Will try overnight, Alima.

Charleygirl Fri 19-May-17 21:29:41

That sounds horrendous and I also feel that your dentist may have missed something. I have sensitive teeth but not nearly as bad as yours. I do hope that this does not ruin your holiday.

dustyangel Fri 19-May-17 21:31:15

When I had agonising pain from teeth that had been pronounced fine by the dentist, it turned out to be an infection in the nerve which I then had to have removed. I was told that this could make the teeth more crumbly but I was past caring by then and it hasn't happened (so far!)
This was over 40 years ago so I could have the details wrong, but like you I could only manage very, very cold liquid. Apparently anything else made a gas in the infected area expand and the cold made it contract, therefore less pain.
I hope this helps, tooth and jaw pain is horrible.

Vintagenanna Fri 19-May-17 23:49:29

This sounds very painful Nandalot. I use to be a Dental Nurse many moons ago. Can I ask if your gums are bleeding when you brush your teeth? My advice to you is try if they are some corsodyle toothpaste or mouthwash (think that's how you spell it). It is specially for bleeding/painful gums. Also try using the little tiny brushes in between your teeth, they come in various sizes to fit in between your teeth. They are available in most supermarkets or boots. You may find that the bleeding is worse for a while but keep going I promise it will improve it. Also invest in an electric toothbrush they are amazing! If your gums are fine but it is just that your teeth are painful. Then stick with a sensitive toothpaste and don't rinse your mouth after brushing your teeth. If it continues ask your dentist to refer you for an opinion at your local dental hospital. Good luck smile

Nandalot Sat 20-May-17 09:47:42

Some helpful comments. My gums don"t bleed except when I catch them with those little interdental brushes that you mentioned * Vin*. I use them twice a day when I brush my teeth. I do rinse my mouth after brushing so will stop that. That makes sense really to give the toothpaste a chance to work. Perhaps I should use the sensitive mouthwash at a different time because,of course, that is rinsing off the toothpaste too. Not sure about an infection, Dusty, as it is both upper and lower back molars on the right side that are giving me the hip. Anyway if no better I shall be back to dentist after my holiday. Thanks again, everyone.

maheenfatima Mon 28-Oct-19 07:11:49

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

wildswan16 Mon 28-Oct-19 07:27:59

Reported

Iam64 Mon 28-Oct-19 08:09:14

Do you think you may be grinding your teeth in your sleep? I have a mouth guard, made by my dentist because I had a painful jaw and occasionally grind. It makes my teeth very sensitive. May be worth asking your dentist about a mouth guard and carry on with the Sensitive past.

BradfordLass72 Mon 28-Oct-19 08:24:28

I have arthritis in my jaw which results in the symptoms you descrube.

Have you tried Tooth Mousse? It's very good for sensitive teeth. Amazon sell it. You only need a wee bit on your finger to rub into and around the teeth so it laasts a long time.

welbeck Thu 31-Oct-19 17:28:13

i would try a different dentist, not only because s/he has not found a cause but also I think it remiss that you were not informed of simple hints like not rinsing your mouth with water after brushing, esp at night.
this has been standard advice for 20+ years.
I use colgate which has arginine in it, costs a bit more but seems to help. I only use it at night, to save it as I don't have much money, use a cheaper one in morning.
but do whatever helps you. try different toothpastes.
I used to use an American one based on baking soda which didn't have that extreme zingy shock, was a more gentle taste. arm and hammer. avoid charcoal ones, a con.
it's also good to minimise erosion not to brush teeth after eating for about 30 mins, esp if having sweet food/drink.
I think people were wrongly advised about this in the past.
the idea is to make one's teeth shiny clean before eating, so less adheres to them. then let saliva neutralise acids, before scrubbing the teeth with brush. best to just rinse with water or non-alcohol mouthwash after eating.
if problems persist could you go your GP, maybe ask refer to ENT. does the pain go up the side of your face, could be rheumatic ? neuralgia, or even GCA...
good luck.
these are just my thoughts. am not prof.

Bigred18 Wed 13-Nov-19 07:55:06

I had a very painful tooth, turned out to be gum erosion around that tooth. Sensodyne toothpaste, no rinsing and occasional Voltaren tablet.

Hetty58 Wed 13-Nov-19 08:15:22

Gum problems can be incredibly painful. I made mine far worse with Sensodyne and sensitive mouthwash. I'm OK with Colgate Herbal, though. Take extra vitamin D and rinse with warm water after each meal.

Queen376 Sun 22-Nov-20 16:53:56

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Grandma2213 Sun 22-Nov-20 22:37:19

My dentist gave me a prescription for Colgate Duraphat toothpaste which has helped my sensitive teeth a lot. I think it's prescription only though I have seen it to buy online . However it is very expensive.

GagaJo Sun 22-Nov-20 22:43:04

There is a prescription sensitive toothpaste which might help to get it under control.

I had awful problems with tooth pain, as a complication of chemo. I had the prescription toothpaste for a while, then moved onto a toothpaste with Liquid Calcium which worked OK.

When I had problems, I would use the (slightly warmed) sensitive teeth mouthwash. I would hold it over the sore area in my mouth for as long as I could stand it (2 or 3 minutes).

It took a while, but eventually I got to the point where my teeth were no more sensitive than needing sensitive toothpaste. I use Corsodyl now.

GagaJo Sun 22-Nov-20 22:44:10

Ah, yes. Duraphat. Works brilliantly.

growstuff Mon 23-Nov-20 00:37:32

Sensodyne do a toothpaste called "Rapid Relief", which works for me. I leave it on my teeth - no rinsing.

Years ago, when I went to a private dentist, the dentist put a coating on my teeth which helped.

travelsafar Mon 23-Nov-20 08:42:58

I had a couple of really sensitive teeth and my dentist filled in the gap between my gumline and the tooth (getting long in the tooth) with some kind of white material which need the bright light they use on white fillings. It covers that area and with regular use of Colgate Pro Relief( the best i find) my problem is solved. It wasnt a cheap treatment at the time but so worth it.