Gransnet forums

Health

Hypnotherapy for anxiety.

(34 Posts)
shysal Thu 25-May-17 16:35:08

DD1 suffers from anxiety and panic attacks, which I think stem from her marriage to a controlling man, who stripped away all her confidence and feelings of self-worth. She is now divorced but he is still exerting control by non-payment of child support and turning up on the spur of the moment to see the 3 kids. She is going through a rough patch at the moment and had a bit of a melt-down at work yesterday. However, a colleague revealed to her that just 4 sessions with a hypnotherapist have helped her greatly to conquer similar symptoms. DD has booked an initial free consultation for this afternoon with the same person. Are we being unrealistic to be hopeful of a good outcome? Does anyone have experience of this therapy helping?

patriciageegee Sat 27-May-17 15:55:22

Shysal hypnotherapy worked for me and if your daughter likes the therapist and is happy with the sessions so far it is worth every penny..i didn't have much money at the time so it shows how beneficial i thought it to be. All the luck in the world to you both

shysal Sat 27-May-17 16:01:06

Thank you for all the good wishes.
When we Googled the hypnotherapist we found that he is offering free sessions for people affected by the Manchester explosion, either face-to-face or via Skype. He says she must contact him any time day or night (no charge) if she needs to, and never wants to hear 'I didn't want to be a nuisance', seems like a caring parson. I don't think that I could spend my life working with troubled people, I might end up needing therapy! grin

shysal Sat 27-May-17 16:01:39

Oops! He is not a parson, just a person!

rosesarered Sat 27-May-17 16:03:44

Hope it works shysal no reason to think it wouldn't though.A friend had a similar course to stop smoking years ago and it worked really well.It's an amazing art/science isn't it?

rosesarered Sat 27-May-17 16:04:21

Anyway, do let us know if it helps.

shysal Sat 27-May-17 16:36:00

If it works I might book him to sort out my over-eating habit! Just can't seem to control it at the moment, but have noticed it is worse when DD's anxiety is bad.

W11girl Sat 27-May-17 20:43:28

I have suffered from anxiety and panic attacks since 1976. Hypnotherapy did me no good at all. I was given valium for 13 years, not ideal, but helped me enormously. It enabled me to work and nobody knew of my condition. I diligently avoided situations where there was potential to kick off an "attack". I always carried a brown paper bag to help me with my breathing if I did have an attack. I felt terrible almost everyday but kept going because I had a child to look after. Some years later I was offered CBT, what a waste of time for me. CBT did for me exactly what I had been doing myself which is to learn to manage the condition yourself and know the signs of a potential attack. To this day I manage my own condition, in my own way and am able to live a fairly normal life.

notoveryet Thu 01-Jun-17 09:24:31

I am qualified in hypnosis. Hypnotherapy will help alter your behaviours, to get to the route of them your daughter will probably need hypno analysis. Stopping smoking is one of the easier problems to deal with. Over eating is more of a challenge, after all as those using hypnosis work by using positive suggestions the balance has to be maintained, not an option to suggest a client becomes a non eater! I wish your daughter every success, analysis can be challenging, but the end results are worth it.Actually I don't know anyone who would claim 100 per cent success either.